ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens/Steelers

vmax

Spen, you are not wrong. The play calling to start the 2nd half was atrocious. The defense, as well as they played had some lapses; hey, Pit is a good team. The officials did not help either, they were terrible.

But Lamar cost this team in the obvious way, 7 on a pick six, not seeing the field, bad decision; all qbs make that mistake.

3 pts at least on the fumble at the goal line; poor pocket awareness, careless with the ball. Hey, all qbs do this sometimes.

He gave the Steelers at least 3 more pts with the poor choice of throwing into tripple coverage, a pick, setting the Steelers up in field goal range.

This also swong the momentum of the game, and is also a blame for the coaches for calling a pass play.

The very next series the coaches called more pass plays instead of gutting this Steeler defense unable to consistantly stop the run yesterday.

So that is what, 13 pts all on Lamar. He is making the same mistakes we have talked about since he was drafted, as I said during the game. Only he got away with it then, the defenses did not know how to defend him, they do now.

On the pick 6, Lamar threw into double coverage AFTER, seeing Snead wide open, defender 5 away, which would have given the Ravens a first down on 3rd & five.

Very last play, he three into tripple coverage to Snead, instead of single coverage on the outside to Boykin, who had inside position.

Do you want more plays to show that he is not reading the defense or, even worse, just ignoring it and chosing to whom he wants to throw?

Go back in this thread, a completion for 30 yatds to a wide open wr was nice, set up a td several plays later. However what he missed/ignored was Brown on a skinny post with the db on his outside and no safety help- easy touchdown for 40÷ yards, saves time and, swings momentum.

Another one earlier in the game, he chose to throw to Andrews short, when he had I bekieve3 Brown again on the outside on a stop & go, ahead of the db, Steelers were in a single high safety, 3rd coverages. One look to the left holds the safety, easy 70+ yard touchdown.

Reading the coverage is key, not just by were the defenders are, but by the position of the db's in relation to the wideouts, inside, head up, outside.

I said this when they drafted him, that he could not properly read a defense, not just tell if it is man or zone, but more. So far, and he is young, he is showing he still cannot or worse, as I said, is chosing to ignore the coverage.

I thought the O line would lose this game yet they really came though. Players went down, players switched positions and they battled hard. All fight in that group. They steam rolled the Steelers D for 265 yards. Can't ask for more.:gorave:

4 turnovers by Lamar killed their chances yet they still could have won.

Then...

9 penalties for 110 yards killed their chances and to the Steelers credit, they took advantage of this and made the plays. They remained patient and found the way to win.

As for the discussions above about letting Lamar go in free agency: No fucking way. As a fan I like winning games. I don't have to have a Super Bowl winning team every year. I love the exciting games. Lamar is young, smart and driven. He will get better. Give me another 5-10 years like we have seen with the hope of him improving. That's a lot of fun Sundays.

8 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

The salary cap has changed the dynamic of player valuation.  So it is a do now type of business.  Also you cant have a cap value that is to high or you cannot win a SB.  That is the actual point of this thing.

There is some truth in this. Just look at Rodgers and the Packers.  He got paid and no more Super Bowls....BUT!.......Their fans have had a ton of very exciting games. They are generally always in it.

There are a lot of teams with high paid QB's who can't afford to build a team around them.

Nevertheless....look at this......

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks

• Average annual salary
Rank Salary QB Team
1. $45 million Patrick Mahomes Chiefs
2. $39 million Deshaun Watson Texans
3. $35 million Russell Wilson Seahawks
4. $34 million Ben Roethlisberger Steelers
T5. $33.5 million Jared Goff Rams
T5. $33.5 million Aaron Rodgers Packers
7. $33 million Kirk Cousins Vikings
8. $32 million Carson Wentz Eagles
9. $31.4 million (tag) Dak Prescott Cowboys
10. $30 million Matt Ryan Falcons

The Steelers,  Chiefs, Packers and Seahawks are all seriously in the Hunt. and...LOL!....the Eagles too. :fishin:

So you can win and win big with high paid QB's. Organizations just has to be fortunate to have made the right choice on who to bank their fortunes. You have to have a QB who can carry an offense. Lamar is not there yet as a passer.....but as a threat, he is 100% there.

Remember: He now has 30 starts...he's a sophomore. 7 games in 2018 as basically a runner, 16 games in 2019 transitioning into a passer/runner with an offensive rushing scheme that took the NFL by surprise. 7 games in 2020 in a league that has adjusted to the Ravens style of offense. There is a ton of room to get better. A high ceiling once adjustments are made and Lamar grows.

We should have a separate thread on this interesting topic.

I love to argue! :yeah:

Hard to put this game to rest....Give me Johnny for a little while....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ_7UX1V9w-WTF2HJdIXe "On the Sunday morning sidewalk, Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned...................."

Edited by vmax
  • Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-chiefs-five-biggest-2020-salary-cap-bargains-why-patrick-mahomes-is-still-a-steal/#:~:text=2020%20salary%20cap%20hit%3A%20%245%2C346%2C538&text=For%202020%2C%20Mahomes'%20base%20salary,of%20the%20Chiefs'%20cap%20space.

For 2020, Mahomes' base salary is just $825,000 with a prorated bonus of $4.5 million and a $0 roster bonus. That means his cap number takes up just 2.4 percent of the Chiefs' cap space

Do you care to know what the hell you are talking about?  Mahomes monster deal does not kick in until after his rookie deal ends.  

I am not saying dont sign him to a long term deal. All I am doing is pointing out his possible major issues and why this passing game is holding this team back. He still has a year before the team has decide on a long term deal. Of note, no team has won a super bowl with a running qb, that could change...

I'm one of those who wasn't/isnt convinced that Lamar has the mindset or mental wherewithal to figure out professional Ds.  We saw against the Chargers two years ago; repeated this year against KC and Pittsburgh.   I'm concerned we are going to waste another talented D and offense while we excruciatingly wait for Lamar to figure out and read D's.   I don't think there's some light bulb ready to suddenly go off this or any season.  He and the team maxed out last year and whatever we've seen, we've seen the ceiling.    He's a helluva athlete but right now isn't leading the team and not sure he can.           

Is it too late to get in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes ?  Maybe the Jets would gladly take Lamar in exchange for pick LOL    

OK...OK....I'll post a Lamar thread so we can blow our brains out there.

For now, let's have one final moment, as a group, to morn this loss. Get in a dark room, pull the curtains, down a bottle of wine,  curl up in a ball and play this at high volume.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM1Oyq1gCB1i8lgZzgVnH  "And now, the end is near ..And so I face the final curtain..........I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all and I stood tall,.....And did it my way!"

Next: Leave room, breathe deep. Find your inner child...images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUfV5F9HInW_hSxA4DW0q....and plot revenge!

Edited by vmax

Max, man you've always got a zinger.  I love it man.  You keep it light and right.       

btw- have you got something in your bag of tricks/graphics that shows Lamar having a brain transfer with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. 

Something out of Young Frankenstein !  I digress.....sorry :(  

44 minutes ago, GrubberRaven said:

Humphrey tested positive for Covid this AM

WOW! And Phillip Rivers is up next coming off a 3 TD day and 123 rating.

Let's hope this does not spread throughout the team. That would be devastating.

4 hours ago, varaven45 said:

I'm one of those who wasn't/isnt convinced that Lamar has the mindset or mental wherewithal to figure out professional Ds.  We saw against the Chargers two years ago; repeated this year against KC and Pittsburgh.   I'm concerned we are going to waste another talented D and offense while we excruciatingly wait for Lamar to figure out and read D's.   I don't think there's some light bulb ready to suddenly go off this or any season.  He and the team maxed out last year and whatever we've seen, we've seen the ceiling.    He's a helluva athlete but right now isn't leading the team and not sure he can.           

Is it too late to get in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes ?  Maybe the Jets would gladly take Lamar in exchange for pick LOL    

That is a damned ingenious idea.  Maybe just maybe we can get a sweetened pot with an extra pick.

3 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

By the way VA I posted your idea on FB and am getting killed for it.  I am attacking back but the just keep doing what you are dong crowd hate your idea,

Maybe they just think you're an idiot?

4 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

By the way VA I posted your idea on FB and am getting killed for it.  I am attacking back but the just keep doing what you are dong crowd hate your idea,

Ha Ha !  Glad its you getting killed; not me.  Hey, I'm just a blasted fan who likes shooting from the hip and throwing out ideas.  Some stick; many dont.

Just hate seeing this talented bunch wrack up ca. 250 yards and shove it down the Steelers throats; only to lose by Lamar giving it away.   

Dont know how more mulligans we can give Lamar this year or next.   Ah, probably need to jump over to the post mortem Lamar thread !