ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Tuesday Nights Game - Litmus Test

varaven45

After Wednesday's valiant performance, the team seems poised and ready to take on the remaining schedule.

As a fan and like most everyone on this board, I am optimistic the team could begin an ascent for the final month.

Here's the question:  Has Harbaugh instilled some sort of moral victory after Wednesday's tilt w the Steelers ?

As an outsider but a long time follower, it seems the Harbaugh coached teams often follow up a close game 

and moral victory with a dud - almost as if the team earned some kind of satisfaction; only to be followed by a thud.

Its akin to the golfer who makes and eagle or birdie; only to lose enough focus to bogie or double bogie the very next hole.

One thing I've noticed about Harbaugh is that he seems to settle for moral victories and its shows up the next game.

I'd like to see him more tactfully and strategically recognize the valiant effort(s), but constructively and firmly criticize 

the mistakes by pointing out how its unacceptable.    He hasnt led in this way like say Bellichick or Tomlin, the latter of 

which reportedly lit up his team after Wednesday night's performance.  After listening to his post game comments, you would

have thought the Steelers lost the Super Bowl.  

Maybe this time its different.  Perhaps he has told his team, in spite of Wednesday's heroic effort, his own mistakes and the team's

aren't acceptable and moving forward the team must now play with urgency, focus and commitment to winning.  We'll see.

In my mind, Tuesday's outcome will determine our playoff fate and season.  We either ascend from our 3 game losing streak

or descend further into a free fall.     IDK what team or performance will show up, the outcome will define the rest of our season. 

That's a certainty.   

I think we win this game, and I think we have to, but overall its going to be a tough rest of the season.

The weapons on offense are basically Jackson and Andrews. The RBS are OK but I am not sure yet any are above average, The receivers are terrible. On the defensive side they do not give up a lot of points and that is great but they give up a lot of yards - particularly passing yards. So overall the team is pretty close to average. Every team makes mistake, every game, they do no matter who is coaching or playing. But the Ravens are so close to the middle of the pack (so far at least) that a mistake here or there can cause them the loss.

And if we do not prioritize offense as much as we do defense I see the same situation and questions happening next year at this point. And it doesn't matter if it is Lamar QBing or a nice white pocket passer like some of you seem to want.

The good news is the rest of the schedule could be very friendly if they get on a roll.

8 hours ago, varaven45 said:

After Wednesday's valiant performance, the team seems poised and ready to take on the remaining schedule.

As a fan and like most everyone on this board, I am optimistic the team could begin an ascent for the final month.

Here's the question:  Has Harbaugh instilled some sort of moral victory after Wednesday's tilt w the Steelers ?

As an outsider but a long time follower, it seems the Harbaugh coached teams often follow up a close game 

and moral victory with a dud - almost as if the team earned some kind of satisfaction; only to be followed by a thud.

Its akin to the golfer who makes and eagle or birdie; only to lose enough focus to bogie or double bogie the very next hole.

One thing I've noticed about Harbaugh is that he seems to settle for moral victories and its shows up the next game.

I'd like to see him more tactfully and strategically recognize the valiant effort(s), but constructively and firmly criticize 

the mistakes by pointing out how its unacceptable.    He hasnt led in this way like say Bellichick or Tomlin, the latter of 

which reportedly lit up his team after Wednesday night's performance.  After listening to his post game comments, you would

have thought the Steelers lost the Super Bowl.  

Maybe this time its different.  Perhaps he has told his team, in spite of Wednesday's heroic effort, his own mistakes and the team's

aren't acceptable and moving forward the team must now play with urgency, focus and commitment to winning.  We'll see.

In my mind, Tuesday's outcome will determine our playoff fate and season.  We either ascend from our 3 game losing streak

or descend further into a free fall.     IDK what team or performance will show up, the outcome will define the rest of our season. 

That's a certainty.   

Very well thought out & said. I would agree, normally this team plays down to their opponents or, as you said, after a hard fought tough loss, they play a dead man's game. Yes, I think alot of that is Harbs...

However, I think this time might be different; yes pandemic game vs a hard fought loss game.

This team had many back up to the back up players playing, & playing very well too boot. These were not just fill-ins for special teams or a tackle here a db there, these were almost complete lines, key positions. I think that makes the difference.

Sure it was one game, sure, a big game as well, but this team found out a lot about its self; players thought to be practice squad can play at a high level.

Look at center- so many issues, not just snapping but blocking as well all season; worked very well in the Pit game.

With the pressure on the linebackers because the defensive line was so thin, Queen, Harrison, Forte played very well, even with another lucky floating pass getting through...rrrrrrrrrr

Dallas is the perfect game; a good team playing very badly. They have talent, they just are not playing up to it. Even if Trace has to play instead of Lamar, this offense can "get their groove back", this defense can dominate without a let down in the 4th quarter.

Sure, Trace does not have the strongest arm, but he is quick, has a quick release, and has good touch on his throws when needed. Hey, we saw a deep comeback route not just thrown, but completed!!!!!

5 hours ago, Spen said:

I think we win this game, and I think we have to, but overall its going to be a tough rest of the season.

The weapons on offense are basically Jackson and Andrews. The RBS are OK but I am not sure yet any are above average, The receivers are terrible. On the defensive side they do not give up a lot of points and that is great but they give up a lot of yards - particularly passing yards. So overall the team is pretty close to average. Every team makes mistake, every game, they do no matter who is coaching or playing. But the Ravens are so close to the middle of the pack (so far at least) that a mistake here or there can cause them the loss.

And if we do not prioritize offense as much as we do defense I see the same situation and questions happening next year at this point. And it doesn't matter if it is Lamar QBing or a nice white pocket passer like some of you seem to want.

The good news is the rest of the schedule could be very friendly if they get on a roll.

One in that we have never fully utilized the WRs who knows what they can do?

Way to interject race into the debate.  I cant speak for everyone but I am fine with a QB who can run.  But he also has to be able to throw well.  Young could run hos ass off but he could make all the throws.  Cunningham also was a great runner but he threw it primarily.  Defenses have taken the run away from him and now he has to throw to make them pay.  He has not done it and that is on Lamar.

21 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

One in that we have never fully utilized the WRs who knows what they can do?

Way to interject race into the debate.  I cant speak for everyone but I am fine with a QB who can run.  But he also has to be able to throw well.  Young could run hos ass off but he could make all the throws.  Cunningham also was a great runner but he threw it primarily.  Defenses have taken the run away from him and now he has to throw to make them pay.  He has not done it and that is on Lamar.

Some might develop but as of right now this is a terrible group of WRs. If you want to pretend that legit playmaker targets don't matter, feel free. 

Calling it like I see it. I know numerous people here are not fans of running QBs and are therefore more critical of them. And I've seen comments here that are throwback dog whistle comments from when people were uncomfortable with minority QBs. 

Sorry if I bothered you.  

I just don't think a blonde haired blue eyed large penised rocket armed drop back pocket passer would fair any better with this squad. Probably worse. Though I think in that case more people would be questioning the surrounding talent. 

I remember yrs ago when ppl were talking about how our WRs would get beat up at the line and how bunching them can allow that reciever to get off the line.  That is what should happen now for Hollywood.  Duv should be split out with him.  Boykin cant play and should reside on the sideline.  But that would also require a QB who can make reads and follow progressions.

Who is saying we only need a drop back passer?  Lamar needs to just start working the sidelines.  Pull the defense out of the middle of the field.  He is just incapable of doing it.

33 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

yeah they have a purpose.  If they didnt there is no way the league would waste the money they do on them.

Good point....I concede that.  Can accuracy improve from the combine or is that static? Whats a good indicator of accuracy? Completion percentage? If so what's a good completion percentage? 

Also if you are a young QB with all eyes on you (and by all accounts wants to win above all) do you pass to the players you have confidence in or look for the players you have no faith in?

Very rarely I have seen someone learn to be accurate. Honestly I cant think of anyone off the top of my head who has done it.  Completion percentage doesnt matter.  Where are the passes being thrown?  If you throw short little passes it is far easier to complete those over 25+ yd passes.  Getting back to the most accurate I have seen in Marino I look at the QB competitions they had back in teh 80s and 90s.  HE would hit those long crossing targets routinely and that one in the back of the golf cart representing the corner route.

Obviously Andrews is the guy he is most confident in.  But now Andrews is eating double teams taking him away much of the time so he better get comfortable with his other weapons real fast.  It will only get harder to be productive if he doesnt.