ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen are up for extensions. Carson Wentz's implosion might hinder all of them.

papasmurfbell

46 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

So size matters? Now you tell me.....

Boykin is 6'6"", he gets single coverage on 9 , 7, crossing routes, yet Lamar rarely throws to him... Hmmmm (sarcasm)

Yeah, it's easier to pass to larger receivers. Easier for them to bring the ball in against larger defenders. 

Maybe if Boykin could run the correct route and/or consistently catch he might get the ball more.  

8 hours ago, Spen said:

Why is Brown upset? Aren't receivers usually upset? 😉

Brown is super fast. He is also 5'6" and covered by someone who is often 6" or more taller. And according to some announcers, since we all like to quote announcers who say things that support our thought, Brown's defenders are often running the routes better than he is. Im not sure I'd throw him the ball. Another columnist earlier in the year wondered how many of the WRs on the Ravens would even make the rosters of other teams.

Lamar obviously trusts Andrews and looks for him first. And he seemed to trust Hurst too and losing him probably hurt more than anyone would have thought. 

Does Lamar need to improve? Of course, it would certainly help. Do I think the offensive woes are his fault? No way,  he's the best player on offense. By far.

Anyone who has objectively watched Lamar his three years has seen improvement. From year one to year two it was huge. Accuracy too.

Anyone who has objectively watched Lamar his three years has seen he can read defenses. Is he perfect at it,  or even great,  maybe not - but he can. You can't have the year he did last year and not be able to. And you can watch and see he can. But then again I'm not bitching when he throws somewhere when I think he should throw somewhere else.

And like was said yrs ago bunched WR formations should be used to get Brown free.  Pick patterns would also be great.  Like I have said throw in every wrinkle and Lamar sinks or swims.  

Also last yr was Lamar reading the D well?  If I see this then do that.  But now DCs are taking away what he does well and giving him what he struggles with.  They had not figured out where he struggled before the off season and watching the tape.  So now he needs to be better in those areas to hurt those Ds.  To do that he has to read the D to know when he can take the deep and outside targets.

There's no doubt in my mind, that if the Ravens don't pay Lamar, that there will be 20 teams lining up to bid for his services.

What bothers me about the passing game the most is the same thing we saw back when Jamal was in his heyday. Teams loaded the box to stop the run. Perfect situation to burn them deep or intermediate. Occasionally Dilfer would beat that with a big play pass but not enough for Stover to keep trotting onto the field. Then, Flacco, when he was hot, could do it when Rice was in his heyday. Same situation now and the same mild success. So the Ravens keep leaving points on the field. Where are the plays or check downs when the box is loaded and teams are playing the run?

That said: It's a Red Zone Day....again....OIP.JlCK6-wg6KFbL6ggcMoTRAHaD-?w=333&h=1......see you soon Skippy, for 7 hours of commercial free NFL football.

20 hours ago, Spen said:

Yeah, it's easier to pass to larger receivers. Easier for them to bring the ball in against larger defenders. 

Maybe if Boykin could run the correct route and/or consistently catch he might get the ball more.  

Wait, wait a minute Mister Spen... How do you know Boykin is not running his routes properly?  So it's okay for you to say how a player should play, but not for anyone else?   Gotcha pal.

16 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

So it's okay for you to say how a player should play, but not for anyone else?   Gotcha pal.

Oh I never said nor implied that.  I don't expect that and its even hard for me remember a time or imagine a time without you complaining. 

Enjoy the games today! Hopefully every play call is exactly what you would call and every pass is exactly where you think it should be thrown.

I know that I'll regret asking this. Anybody want to let Lamar walk now?

What’s not hard to explain, however, is the grit and level of special that Jackson possesses, and that on Monday night, he reached a new level of legendary. He showed once again why last season, he became only the second unanimous MVP in NFL history after transforming the Ravens into one of the most feared teams in the league...During those closing minutes of play, Jackson did show that when the circumstances dictated, he can indeed sling the ball with the best of them. But even more, he showed that he possesses a massive heart, and wouldn’t allow his team to fall out of contention for a playoff bid. Not on this night.......Lamar Jackson leads Baltimore Ravens to last-second win in Cleveland (usatoday.com)

38467f5f-cffd-487d-b562-39bc7caa4f13-lam "At least Tucker loves me!"

Edited by vmax

I never said let him walk, just get him a to trust his receivers. Boykin was open a few times, Lamar, with time, chose not to throw to him; game changer plays. Yes, we won a close one, Baker only press-passed once which ended up a great int. Yes, Lamar completed 11 of 17, 3 of those maybe should have been caught. But he also should have connected on two others, both would have been first downs, one to Andrews likely a score instead of a punt.

Hey, pick your poison; 120+ yards on the ground plus 150 in the air still equals 30 on the ground, 300 in the air.

But, look at the interview from Diggs, he wanted out of Min because they wanted to focus more on running. No way would he come here..

So, while Snead loves to play here, how will this team get a bona fide number one to come here?

In any even, I am glad to have him. Sure, you might get lucky, have a great defense, a great running game and win the Super Bowl with a Brad Johnson type qb as Ten is trying to do, as the Ravens did with Trent Dilfer, but in today's NFL, you better have a play maker at qb, who can either do what Mahomes, Brady, Rogers, Wilson can do or maybe like Lamar can do; either way it is going to cost you a lot of money..

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/nfl/ravens/news/jackson-new-salary

Jackson is currently looking at a new contract that pays an average salary of $42.5 million annually and will be valued at $170 million over four years, according to estimations by Spotrac based on the contracts of comparable players such as Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz. 

This is old.  It is also way to high after this season.  I would think his demands would have tempered some.  I think anything higher than $30 mil per as a cap hit is to high for him.