ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The level that Lamar is at now

vmax

This is a good read on Josh Allen and Lamar.  Two, nice gifted young men who are lighting up the NFL now and will for years to come. 

Silencing critics -- Baltimore Ravens' Lamar Jackson has NFL MVP award, could Buffalo Bills' Josh Allen be next? (espn.com)

"I'm just attacking the game more, being more aggressive," Jackson said. "I'll say, in the beginning of the season, I was conservative a lot; just staying back and getting sacked a lot more. But as the season went on, [when] things break down, my first read is not there, second read is not there, I take advantage of what the defense gives me."

What makes Jackson special is his athleticism, and the fear it puts in defenders when he hits open space. No one else in the NFL can turn a near sack and 10-yard loss into a touchdown run in a blink.

Josh-Allen-Lamar-1024x532.jpg

The biggest improvement in Jackson's game can be seen when he's had time in the pocket, which is usually off play-action. The Ravens led the NFL in rushing for a second straight season, and Jackson has used that to his advantage more toward the end of the season unlike any other time.

Jackson will sell the fake handoff to his running back so well that he turns his back to the defense. He then whips his head around to quickly diagnose the coverage of the safeties.

Over the past six games, eight of Jackson's 68 completions inside the pocket (an average of one per 8.5 passes) have been touchdowns. The only quarterback who's had a better touchdown rate inside the pocket in that span is Aaron Rodgers.

GettyImages-1187270659.jpg

P76YCBL3ZBEDDEDZGU3656K7ZE

Edited by vmax

Willie Snead after the game. An honest opion, we heard last off season that Lamar had come very far in his passing.. Let us hope he works even harder rhis off season, as I am sure he will.

“I just think he’ll look back at the whole season — not just this game, the whole season — and he’ll make those adjustments that he needs to do to be an elite quarterback; an even more elite quarterback,” Snead said. “He is an elite runner, an elite passer, but there are steps he can take, better strides that he can take, and he knows that. That’s the competitor in him to want to get better each and every offseason, to fix the little things that his game needs improvement on and continue to get better as a passer. I think if he knuckles down on that part of his game and really reaches his full potential in that area, then the sky is the limit for Lamar, man. It’s just a matter of time. So, it’s really on him. I think this game is going to be a wake-up call for him, hopefully this offseason. So, we’ll see what he does next year.”

The Ravens were 32nd in the league in passing offense this season and their shortcomings in that area helped bring their season to an end on Saturday night. There are other things the Ravens need to address to change that performance, but Snead being right about Jackson would be a real boost to their chances of avoiding another disappointing end to a season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/17/willie-snead-thinks-loss-will-be-a-wake-up-call-for-lamar-jackson/

On 1/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, vmax said:

This is a good read on Josh Allen and Lamar.  Two, nice gifted young men who are lighting up the NFL now and will for years to come. 

Silencing critics -- Baltimore Ravens' Lamar Jackson has NFL MVP award, could Buffalo Bills' Josh Allen be next? (espn.com)

Josh-Allen-Lamar-1024x532.jpg

GettyImages-1187270659.jpg

P76YCBL3ZBEDDEDZGU3656K7ZE

Good read. Both are really fun to watch and seem like good guys. 

Lamar is already good, probably very good, with a little more time and talent around him - the sky is the limit. He's a keeper, going to be quite a contract. 

12 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

Are any of those stats untrue?  Are you saying the ravens didnt have the 32nd passing attack?

I did not check nor deny anything in that post. 

Just an asshole poster posting an asshole post. Nothing new

"Whenever you're the No. 1 rushing [offense] and the 30-something passing [team], that's not right," Brown said a day after the Ravens' 17-3 loss to the Buffalo Bills in the AFC divisional round. "That's not balanced. We got to find a way to balance our game. Even with our great rushing attack, we got to be able to throw the ball and be able to move the ball through the air."

This marks the first time the Ravens have finished last in the NFL in passing since 2003 when Kyle Boller was their quarterback. Lamar Jackson averaged 183.8 yards passing this season, which is down nearly 25 per game from his MVP season a year ago.

Brown, who he had a long talk with Jackson on Saturday night, wants to train more with his quarterback and his teammates this offseason.

"I know this for a fact, this offseason is going to be the best offseason," Brown said. "We're going to go to work, and we're going to come back motivated and ready to go."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30731247/baltimore-ravens-wr-marquise-brown-not-happy-unbalanced-offense

When you have the #1 rushing attack and teams load the box with 8-9 men, then you should easily be able to make 4, 5 or 6 big plays passing in a game. It's actually an ideal situation. The defenses have to sell out. Expose themselves. 

I have to think that Wink is part of the problem. There should be a special passing game developed and tirelessly worked on for just this situation. A short passing game that has the potential for chunk yards because a loaded box with a run blitzing defense does not give the QB much time to get rid of the ball.

I saw a little of this in the Titans game. The big play was there the whole Bills game. The O line couldn't pass protect yet the box was loaded. The last thing they should've Lamar doing is run or scramble. Dump the ball off quickly to the vacant space left open by a crowded box. 

Good points Max and Hollywood is right.  The O does need to correct this passing deficiency - big time.

It didn't help losing Ronnie Stanley and TE Boyle but every team loses a few key players.  

On offense, we finally need to address the Center position and select/acquire a strong player this offseason.  We haven had 

a legit C since Matt Birk.  They absolutely need to clean this up this offseason.  Lamar cant survive these keystone cop hikes next season.  

In addition, Lamar needs that big time possession receiver we haven's seen since Anquan.  Draft or acquire via FA ; just get em. 

I hope Willie Sneed is right and Lamar works hard in the offseason.  

I have a flier of an idea. The ravens should work on a trade. Eric should call houston and talk about a trade for Watson for Lamar and a pick or 2. The Texans are an inept team. They might just jump all over it.
Deshaun Watson is Lamar but better. He can run very much like Lamar. But he can throw as well as anyone else in the league. He is whip smart. Another beautiful aspect of this trade is he is locked in until 2025. The bonus money will stay in hou so the ravens are only on the hook for his yearly salary and any bonus dollars. Having not looked at his deal it should be close to that 15% threshold for being able to win a sb.
I fully think Watson can raise the level of play of the receivers here. Also if he likes it he can get in watts ear about coming here cheap to end his career.
Now bring the noise.

Getting a number one is nice, but when your 2nd, 3rd and even 4th options are running routes a few yards from each other, what good is a number one if he is double covered?

The play designs, route combos are also a major factor, you can't run a short option route, a simple in route and a short drag route all to the same side; no one will be open.

You can't run timing routes if the qb is unwilling to throw on time, anticipatory...

No one seems to want to talk about that last fact, only that Lamar is a wonderful, fun player to watch, dynamic player who needs "more help".

If you look at the all 22, you will see many plays each game, where he had time, had the receiver, if he only threw on time, would be explosive plays..

1 minute ago, tsylvester said:

Getting a number one is nice, but when your 2nd, 3rd and even 4th options are running routes a few yards from each other, what good is a number one if he is double covered?

The play designs, route combos are also a major factor, you can't run a short option route, a simple in route and a short drag route all to the same side; no one will be open.

You can't run timing routes if the qb is unwilling to throw on time, anticipatory...

No one seems to want to talk about that last fact, only that Lamar is a wonderful, fun player to watch, dynamic player who needs "more help".

If you look at the all 22, you will see many plays each game, where he had time, had the receiver, if he only threw on time, would be explosive plays..

Or maybe the author of that article and some other people don't want to talk about that because they do not see it the same way. 

Maybe some people have trouble taking people seriously who complains constantly whether the team wins by two scores or loses by two scores. 

Maybe someday they will call the exact same plays you would and run them exactly same way you would and you can sit back, sigh, and say "finally".

Have you started writing your 'what went wrong' posts for the games next year yet? 

So you cant be looked at as serious when win or lose you consistently look at how to be better?  Damn.  Your football coach was a loser.  Every coach I have e er known looks for the flaws to fix to be as unbeatable as possible.  Your coach didnt care what you did.  Just go through the motions for me is all he wanted.  I guess that is how you learned to be a loser.

I was going to point out that you needed a reading comprehension coach but then I wondered if you were right about me so I looked up the term loser. 

One of the definitions was "self congratulating prick". It was a bit down the list in Websters but it was there. Further down it had "one who hangs out on a team forum of a team he doesn't like often boasting about it as if its anything but sad". So it seems to me, and Merriam Webster that you might be the loser. 

You still need a reading comprehension coach though,  don't worry. Lots of people have trouble with compound words. 

dr-strangelove-peter-sellers.jpg?w=450  "Ahhh....I forgot how sweet the off season is."

This may be upsetting to some....

NFL teams have a May 3 deadline to exercise the fifth-year option for 2018 first-round picks, Jackson included, but coach John Harbaugh indicated Wednesday that an extension with the reigning NFL Most Valuable Player is more a matter of when, and not if. "I'm confident that Eric and those guys will do a great job of looking at that," Harbaugh said. "Of course, absolutely we want Lamar to sign a long-term deal. I'm totally certain that that's going to happen. When it happens, that's the details. That's what we've got to figure out. … That will happen either this year or next year I'm sure."..Ravens’ John Harbaugh ‘totally certain’ QB Lamar Jackson will sign long-term contract extension - Baltimore Sun

I mean...you're just going to have to live with it.

"The reason why I'm strong on this is because it goes back to the same criticism we've heard the last three years about not being the type of an offense or the type of a quarterback that some people want to see," Harbaugh said during his 45-minute, end-of-season news conference. "They're just going to have to live with it because Lamar Jackson has won a lot of football games here and our offense has won us a lot of football games here and we're not apologizing for that for one second."...John Harbaugh defends Baltimore Ravens' run-heavy offense (espn.com)

tumblr_ms2631pWEv1qmfv8io1_500.gif  It's a simple matter of surrender and acceptance.

Edited by vmax

I have no issue with extending him. I am quite happy, as Ive said before, with 350+ yards of offense, whether that is 250 passing and 100 running, visa versa, so long as it is compelling, competitive, and yes, wins would be nice.

My issue is and has been even when Joe was the qb; provide the right team around him.

They failed with Joe, a pocket passer, they did not get him a good pass blocking line.

Lamar has a good enough line, minus a player or two in the middle.

Neither he nor Joe has the receivers or they didnt/ don't have passing scheme to be successful consistently.

Joe had the same issue; receivers running routes on top of or into each other. Receivers not able to read coverage properly on option routes.

So clearly the issue is 1) coaching & or 2) scouting maybe even 3) front office in selecting receivers.

Pay Lamar, but get him receivers or coaching to help the passing game.

11 + wins is nice but as we have seen over the course of NFL history, the post season is a different animal, you have to be able to adjust to either run when they shut down your pass first offense, or throw when they shut down your run first offense.

There is a very good nucleus on this team, offense, defense, special teams. Good enough to win a super bowl with the right players to complement them; don't waste the next 3-5 years.

I think Harbaugh was very defensive in his answer to the questions many have about the anemic passing game. I don't think there's much question that we need a better pass protecting line and [sigh!] a real number one receiver (as we have needed for years). While I love what Lamar does we could use a little more balance and a return to the improved passing Lamar showed in 2019. And really, Lamar is probably the only true playmaker on the offense. Now it's quite possible that the Covid disrupted pre-season and mid-season contributed mightily to the imbalance in 2020.  But it would be nice if Harbaugh would just admit that and say we have areas that need real improvement.

Now for the executioners that may be out there, I am NOT calling for Harbaugh's head. I'm NOT calling for a remake of Lamar's game. I would just like to see improvement in pass protection on the O-line (losing Stanley really hurt here) and more play action passing by Roman.

The Ravens are going to have their hands full with the talent loaded Browns and the resurrected Bengals for the next several years and I don't think think the 2020 offense will be capable of handling them at this point.  

Hope I'm wrong...Dobbins and Edwards, Andrews and Brown give me hope, but we need even more.

I found these comments (not all of which I agree with) from Brian Baldinger to be enlightening and who expresses himself better than I do: 

Brian Baldinger: Signing No. 1 Wide Receiver Won't Fix Ravens' Passing Game

During Head Coach John Harbaugh's season-ending press conference yesterday, he pushed back against critics such as NFL Network's Steve Smith Sr. and Kurt Warner who contended that the Ravens' passing attack was too simplistic.

Another NFL Network analyst, Brian Baldinger, weighed in on the subject, and he agreed with Smith and Warner's assessment, saying Baltimore's aerial attack is "too elementary, too simplistic."

Baldinger was not suggesting the Ravens abandon their league-leading running game, but when opponents have success stopping the run — as the Buffalo Bills did in their 17-3 win over the Ravens in the divisional playoff game — he said the Ravens need to be able to make them pay through the air.

"[Bills Defensive Coordinator] Leslie Frazier and [Head Coach] Sean McDermott figured it out, and they blitzed off the edges and they shrunk the field, and they didn't let Lamar [Jackson] escape, and they were masterful at it," Baldinger said in his "Baldy's Breakdowns" podcast. "But, ultimately, when you start blitzing your safeties and your corners to fix the run game, you have to make them pay. And the Ravens simply can't do that."

"Can't" and "didn't" are two different things. Baldinger said the Ravens landing a No. 1 wide receiver in free agency such as Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin or Kenny Golladay won't necessarily change anything.

"If you put Stefon Diggs in that offense, Stefon Diggs isn't getting 1,500 yards in catches. He's not leading the league in receptions, as great as he is," Baldinger said. "Until they start opening the offense up in different ways, where receivers can actually run routes, beat man coverage, all those kinds of things, there's got to be a better balance in how you throw the football right now, and it can't just be, 'third-and-8, all right, let's throw it.'"

The Ravens have had a lot of success with their run-oriented offense the past three seasons, as Jackson is 30-7 in the regular season as a starter. They led the league in scoring last season and were No. 7 this season. In the postseason, however, they're 1-3 and have scored a total of 32 points in the three losses.

"They're going to get to the playoffs almost every year right now the way the roster is built, the depth that they have, the way that they restock. But can they move in the playoffs?" Baldinger said. "Because this is three years in a row where they've been bounced like this, and it's the same problem three years in a row."

Good stuff.  The big question: what will the Ravens do?

Lamar has to work on his mechanics and being able to throw anywhere on the field. He needs to pull a "Josh Allen" this off season.

Eric has to surround him with talent for a more sophisticated passing attack. 

John has to bring in coaching help to develop a passing attack. I'm talking about a real precission attack that will consistently burn stacked boxes and stretch the field. Get a genius. Maybe even contact one of us.