ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Orioles 2021

vmax

O's up 7-2 in the 7th. It was getting scary there with Tate loading the bases but Scott saved the day. 

It's never over. There's never enough runs because of the pitching. 

Mullins is having an incredible game. Triple, stolen base and one incredible diving catch at the wall.

Really fun game tonight.

7-4 O's in the 8th and Valdez is not looking too good. Crazy wild pick off throw to 1st and luckily they caught the runner in a run down.

O's are now 3 outs away from ending their streak.

:bow: Fire at Camden Yards!!!!

It's really hard to single out anybody. Mullins is simply incredible.

BALTIMORE -- Miserable in May, the rebuilding Orioles are looking like a juggernaut in June, seemingly as hot as the current Baltimore-area heat spell.

The latest example came Tuesday, when the Orioles followed their 18-run Sunday outburst with a 10-3 thrashing of the Mets at Oriole Park. The win was their fifth in six tries this month, after going 5-23 in May.

“That,” second baseman Pat Valaika said, “is how we would like to play every day.”... It’s foundation was a deluge of doubles -- seven total hit by Orioles batters, tied for their third most in a single game in club history.....Franco’s homer was only the sixth to reach the second deck in Oriole Park history, according to the team, and third by an Oriole.....This team, they scored 18 runs the day before yesterday, and they just came out of the chute swinging the same way,” Mets manager Luis Rojas said...Pat Valaika, Maikel Franco lead Orioles to win (mlb.com)

Of course, the actual difference in the game was their own doing. Cleveland’s fourth run came in a sixth inning that began with an error on first baseman Ryan Mountcastle, putting leadoff man César Hernández on, a passed ball against Pedro Severino moving him to second, and a dropped foul ball by second baseman Stevie Wilkerson, extending the at-bat that ended in a run-scoring double by José Ramírez.

“The bottom line is we just didn’t play defense tonight, which, you’ve got to play defense in the big leagues to win,” Hyde said. “We made numerous plays that hurt us — or, didn’t make the plays.”

I'm going to the game Friday night with my son. First time there in 20 years, 

Todays question.

My son told me the first 15,000 fans who show up Friday night will get a free Mullins Orioles T-shirt.

What time should we show up?

Image result for Twilight Zone Three Eyes  "3 am is not an acceptable response."

7-1. Win!

We got there around 6:15-6:30 and got the Mullins T-shirts (decent quality too) and of course Mullins hit a 1st inning lead off solo homer and a 3 run homer late in the game. The Yard looked great. Food was good. Fans were great. Family atmosphere. 

First time back since Cal's Iron Man record setting night...long time ago.

The jersey that I want is $357.00 !!!!!!! Somebody help me! Really....I can't believe that price.

Nice start to Fathers Day Weekend.

“What a great night for Cedric,” Hyde said. “The crowd was unbelievable tonight. That’s the most energy in the ballpark that I’ve seen here in three years, and I feel like our guys really fed off that. For the fans to recognize Ced and his great night, that was a super cool moment. That was a first for me here also, to have somebody recognized like that.”.....

His latter shot broke the game open, a three-run home run that ignited that crowd and led to a curtain call, which Mullins said was his first. “I was kind of nervous to go back out there, but it felt amazing,” Mullins said. “It was just a surreal moment.”....Cedric Mullins’ latest All-Star statement, Thomas Eshelman’s unexpected start lead Orioles past Blue Jays, 7-1, ending 8-game skid - Baltimore Sun

Eshelman pitched a good game. Guerrero went hitless.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/cedric-mullins-homers-10-on-a-fly-ball-to-right-center-field?t=all-star-ballot

On 6/19/2021 at 5:52 AM, papasmurfbell said:

I think Mullins willbe on the trade block soon.  Not sure an investment now is a good idea.

During a rebuild, a team has to at some point start locking up players to build around. A solid core. Mullins definitely fills the bill. He makes the defense up the middle tight,. His bat speaks for itself. He's young, he's a spark plug for this team...he brings excitement and he brings fans to the stands. 

I know they need more bodies, more prospects and definitely pitching as evidenced by the 6 run 9th meltdown that ruined a great Orioles effort. Solid pitching and defense seem to be the best way to go.

But not at the cost of Mullins. I draw the line there. I will stop following this team if they keep trotting out guys who are trying to figure out how to play in the majors. It's getting old.

O's get a win. 9-7.

Mullins padded his All-Star candidacy with three hits, two runs and two stolen bases. Hays homered and robbed Astros right fielder Kyle Tucker of a homer, and Mountcastle reached base four times, driving in three. They combined to overcome the season-high 10 walks allowed by the pitching staff, which watched a two-run lead fizzle in the seventh behind four free passes and barely hung on in the ninth.Ryan Mountcastle and Austin Hays lead win over Astros (mlb.com)

In other Bird news....

Almost 7 million-to-1 odds? Former Orioles slugger Jim Gentile hit back-to-back grand slams in a game in 1961.

Gentile recalled, he’d caroused until dawn the night before.

“I was out with three brothers who owned six bars between them in St. Paul,” he said . “They dropped me off at my hotel at 6 a.m. I showered, shaved and got on the bus to go to the ballpark. Batting practice kind of woke me up, and I had a good day.”...:fishin:....Almost 7 million-to-1 odds? Former Orioles slugger Jim Gentile hit back-to-back grand slams in a game in 1961. (msn.com)

13-3! Mullins show. He better make the All Star team. He is great defensively and is the spark plug for this team.

Mullins led the game off with a home run, hit a go-ahead double in the seventh inning to break a 3-3 tie and added an infield single to help extend the Orioles’ five-run eighth that broke the game open.

“I think it means he’s on base a lot and making things happen,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “Unbelievable game again. Four hits, homer to lead off the game, plays great defense. He’s doing it all. When he plays well, we have a chance, and he’s playing well in wins and losses right now.”Orioles overcome injury to starting pitcher, explode in late innings again to rout Astros, 13-3, for second straight road win (msn.com)

Let's not forget Santander, Wynn,  Hays and Franco. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still following the O's every day. Not watching as much yet I am watching today's game. Currently 4-2 Sox up. Mullins successfully bunted in the first and then Hays hit a home run.  Later Mullins stole a base....he can do it all. Hays hard a great double play. He caught a line drive out in right field and then unleashed a fantastic throw to 3rd to throw out the runner trying to advance. Long throw right on target, 

The O's must feel ok with their pitching prospects in the farm system. They went for bats again. 

Since taking the reins of the Orioles’ front office, 14 of Elias’ top 15 picks have been hitters, headlined by Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman first overall in 2019.

Maybe they're afraid to take/gamble on a pitcher that high.

On paper this guy looks good.

Hobgood never made it to the big leagues. A prep right-hander out of Norco, California, Hobgood pitched six seasons in the Orioles' minor league system and never found his footing, totaling a 4.98 ERA with a 17-24 record in 110 games pitched between Rookie-level ball and Double-A Bowie. His final season of pro baseball game in 2015, when Hobgood went 1-1 with a 6.52 ERA in six games and just 9.2 innings pitched at Bowie.

“Colton has been one of the best pure hitters in the country since setting foot on campus,” Orioles general manager and executive vice president Mike Elias said. “He’s a five-tool player, and he’s somebody we project will impact our team and our lineup, both offensively and defensively. It’s rare to get those types of physical tools, and all five of them in a college performer like we just did. That’s why we took him, and it’s a very exciting start to our Draft.”..Colton Cowser drafted No. 5 by Orioles in MLB Draft

More...

Elias made specific mention of Cowser’s bat-to-ball skills Sunday, calling him “an elite contact hitter” with the rare “hit for average tool and power without striking out.” The Orioles see that as vital amid the Majors’ modern high-strikeout landscape: Cowser struck out 32 times with 42 walks in 55 games as a junior this spring.

Defensively, Cowser is considered athletic enough to stick in center field, with enough arm strength to play either corner position if necessary. That combination led to him getting pre-Draft comparisons to Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo and Cleveland center fielder Bradley Zimmer.

“He was young and skinny and not really a pro guy coming out of high school, even though he was all-state as a hitter,” Elias said. "Then [he] went to college and filled out a little bit and just started raking. I mean, this guy rakes. It was a name that you heard right away as a freshman that was going to be an elite player in the country. And he's done that. He's gotten to this point with a lot of hard work, and he's got a lot of projection ahead of him. This isn't a totally finished product.”...Colton Cowser drafted No. 5 by Orioles in MLB Draft

• 2 weeks later...

Great comeback win in the 9th. 5-4 over the Knats. Uriah hits a ground ball to 3rd and McKenna had thevspeed to beat the pkay at the plate...I mean he flew.

O's sweep the Knats.

1-51 in comeback wins when the O's trail after 8 innings........well....they have to start somewhere...

Image result for photos alfred e newman.......Image result for you are a gift of the universe.....yea right!....Image result for Alfred E. Newman Quotes

Edited by vmax