ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Early feelings about this team/season?

Guest BallTMore

Guest BallTMore

Mine are not too optimistic at this point. I understand the youth movement, it had to happen sooner or later, but I'm not as convinced that the young guys are ready to step up.

Our depth this offseason has taken a huge hit, mainly on offense (QB, RB, WR, Oline also DB on defense). One injury and we could be in serious trouble.

It seems we went back to square one at WR. Double Boldin all day and spy Ray Rice. Who else is there to worry about?

Yeah, Dickenson is fast, but he seemed inconsistent with his hands, and his pass blocking was ugly. Are we going to leave that up to Leech? How many guys can he block at one time?

Torrey Smith is another young guy we are banking on. Can he run the right routes and CATCH the ball?

Like I said, my gut feeling at this point is 8-8, but things could change. Oz may make some more moves.

What are your thoughts this early?

I think our depth is pretty bad at OL and RB. Not really anybody's fault---the low cap space really hurt (though I wish they'd get off the dime and give Haloti a cap-friendly contract).

Kindle may be the answer for the pass rush but...

I'm going to say we finish 8-8 but its too early to make a firm prediction.

I know you're talking about things as they stand right now, but 8-8!!?!!

Wow!

The Ravens odds at going 8-8 are as good as this guys odds are for getting out from under the love of his life.

fail_sex1.jpg

I think our depth is pretty bad at OL and RB. Not really anybody's fault---the low cap space really hurt (though I wish they'd get off the dime and give Haloti a cap-friendly contract).

Kindle may be the answer for the pass rush but...

I'm going to say we finish 8-8 but its too early to make a firm prediction.

20090901-walmart.jpg

8-8 eh?

BallT -

Just a quick thought:

Heap had to stay in to block because it wasn't Le'Ron's strong suit and because we ran so many single back sets. With Leech, when he's in, we will (hopefully) no longer need the extra blocking from a TE (Dickenson) allowing us to either drop the TE from the formation altogether or let him pass catch.

There's certainly some hopeful thinking in that line or two, but I think that's what the team is banking on. Dickenson can't block like Heap, but we hope not to need him to. If we still had Heap, my thought is he would have a huge year - a la when we had Gash or Ovie or others back there.

Well, guys, like I said its early to forecast but with what they have on hand now, 8-8 doesn't seem to bad. If Oz can get us a good offensive tackle to either start or back up a developing Jah Reid and if they can get a center to do the same for Birk, and add a pass rusher, they'll do considerably better.

Besides, if I say 8-8 now and they go 11-5 or 12-4 look how happy I'll be! :biggrin:

I tend to agree with Outside Guy and see a 9-7 ot 10-6 team. As always, this could easily change depending on overall team health, especially at key positions - OL, C, CB , LB. I am most concerned about our lack of depth at RB and C. If we lose Flacco or Rice for an appreciable period - say multiple games - the record could easily dip to 7-9 or 6-10.

:gorave:

Our most important pieces are here on offense, QB, RB, WR, LT. They're all young except for Boldin, and Boldin isn't using a walker yet!

Defense, Best DT in the league, very good MLB (albeit old, however, it's Ray!), top 5 or 10 LB in Suggs, 2nd best Free Safety in the league. It sounds like the core group of people are in place!

We're gonna be just fine!