ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens did 1 thing wrong

vmax

Everything else was perfect but why?....whhy???...do you have Jimmy Smith playing Special Teams?

He's the cornerstone CB. They guy you are depending on to be a true #1.

He gets injured on the opening kick off in one of the biggest games of the regular season.

Kudos to Pagano and the other corners who stepped up but this is the only black mark on what was a perfect punking of the Steelers.

The beginning of McAlisters downfall was Billick having him returm punts and then he got hurt...and was never the same physically.

After that, he started to get beat on plays he always could cover.

Then the head issues matured.

Any word on Smith?

Not good....

Carr re-aggravated a left hamstring injury in the second quarter. Smith sprained his left ankle while covering the Ravens’ first kickoff in the first quarter. Smith, who wore a protective brace around the foot and ankle, used crutches to leave the locker room.

Neither player returned and both declined to comment on their injuries. X-rays on Smith’s ankle did not reveal a fracture, according to a team official. But another team official mentioned the possibility that Smith may have suffered a high ankle sprain, which could keep him out of the lineup for a few weeks.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-webb-earns-the-start-at-cornerback-20110911,0,1160663.story

If it's a high ankle, then that could mean half the season or more.

Guest BallTMore

I think Cary banged knees or twisted an ankle, nothing serious. I think he finished the game.

Cary played great. He's not afraid to hit. I'm really liking our CBs. Foxworth is the weak link due to his knee, but Webb and Williams played well.

Xray was negative on ankle so that's good. I was at the game so didn't notice but radio said Carey Williams got knicked too? What's up with that?

I was there too BHon...hell'ova party. :gorave:

I hear it's the same thing...ankle.

Williams played one hell of a good game. It will be fabulous if he and Smith can play together.

4e6d472df309c.image.jpg

I think Cary banged knees or twisted an ankle, nothing serious. I think he finished the game.

Cary played great. He's not afraid to hit. I'm really liking our CBs. Foxworth is the weak link due to his knee, but Webb and Williams played well.

Yea Cary came out after tackling Mendenhall i think in Q3...it did not look serious and he was back in at worst by the next series.

Webb, scratch that, ALL, of our cb's need to learn to stop playing 15 yards off the line on 3rd and short. I dont know how the ravens dont know those quick hitters to sanders and wallace are coming when u give them a 15 yard cushion. It happened at least four times.

I'm guessing they would rather concede the short yardage rather than get burned deep for a big play. Sometimes defenses have to bend in order to not break. I'm not a big fan, but in Mike Wallaces case, it's imperitive to keep those big plays at bay. If we're sending a blitz, we can't afford to play bump and run and allow the receiver to get a step on a cb. This could result in the WR having to simply slip one tackle and have 20-30 yds of open field.

Sometimes a defense can simply concede the short gain in hopes of forcing the team into 3rd and long on the next set of downs.

This quote from Suggs reinforces it a bit:

“Rex’s thing is, ‘I’m gonna kill you as many times as I can,’ ” Suggs replied. “Chuck’s unorthodox. In terms of his coaching personality, I’d describe it like this: He’s like The Joker. You never really expect what he’s gonna do, and everything has a motive. He’s like, ‘I’m just gonna set you up on this call so I can get you later.’ ”

Webb, scratch that, ALL, of our cb's need to learn to stop playing 15 yards off the line on 3rd and short. I dont know how the ravens dont know those quick hitters to sanders and wallace are coming when u give them a 15 yard cushion. It happened at least four times.

I disagree. That was all late in the game when all we needed to do to win the game was to not give up the big play. At that point, you make them earn the 15 yard out routes and don't let Wallace & Co get behind you and change the momentum of the game. I thought the coaching and playcalling was superb.