ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

David Reed not returning Kicks Sunday

OutsideRzAcE

Obviously a temporary punishment/message or they would have just cut him.

The Ravens will have a new kick returner on Sunday.

17_DavidReed_news.jpg

After starting return man David Reed fumbled twice and was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct in Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks, the Ravens are looking at other options.

“He will not be returning kicks for us on Sunday,” Ravens Special Teams Coordinator Jerry Rosburg announced on Thursday.

Reed fumbled three kickoffs in the last two games, and while Rosburg said Reed won’t be on returns this week, he did not say who would take over the job.

“We’re going to have a good kickoff return practice and we’re going to find out who our kickoff returner is going to be for Sunday,” Rosburg said.

Click the link for the rest of the story

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/11/17/ravens-confirm-reed-not-returning-kicks/

Shades of Lamont Brightfull! Stop the bleeding.

The Ravens can ill afford to have poor special teams play. As we all know so well, it is an important part of winning. Penalties hurt field position. Turnovers totally destroy it.

If they want to punish someone why dont they let Tyrod Taylor have a few real snaps instead of Below Average Joe. Seriously Joe sucked the first half, and was awful the first series of the 2nd half. Why not replace him after that series other than 'thats not done in the NFL'?

If they want to punish someone why dont they let Tyrod Taylor have a few real snaps instead of Below Average Joe. Seriously Joe sucked the first half, and was awful the first series of the 2nd half. Why not replace him after that series other than 'thats not done in the NFL'?

Why? because we still have a shot at the Super Bowl, you put Tyrod in if you're the Colts.

That would be like calling in an airstrike on themselves. You have an immediate QB controversy along with all the distractions and constant media attention that brings. You also put unneeded additional pressure on Flacco in future games. He'll likely play tight, fearful of making any mistakes that could lead to him being benched. Though I admit the thought of having Tyrod replace an ineffective Flacco crossed my mind after this game and the Jax game...I just don't think it would be worth the headache it'd bring.

Its only like that because it would be a big deal. In some other sports when stars are having a bad game they get replaced and its no big deal. But I do agree that the way things are the move might create a big headache. At some point though......

I also bring it up because I'd like to see another QB get some real snaps with this team, we haven't for most of 4 years now.

Geez Spen...I'd think that after after Vinny, Harbaugh, Mitchell, Banks, Case, Dilfer, Redmond, Blake, Wright, Boller, Smith that you'd enjoy a little stability at QB. :fishin:

Even Below Average Joe is more fun to watch than most of those QB's.

Seriously...I think Joe is having a hard time fitting in with whatever Cam is trying to create. He has new receivers to work with, his running game and play action pass is basicly gone, he has a new line trying to get it together but can't because they are road graders, not pass blockers...and yes...Joe has been inaccurate this year.

Joe's not losing us the games. The whole team and coaching staff is out of sync this year.

He's better than all the QB's I named.

That's progress.

Geez Spen...I'd think that after after Vinny, Harbaugh, Mitchell, Banks, Case, Dilfer, Redmond, Blake, Wright, Boller, Smith that you'd enjoy a little stability at QB. :fishin:

Even Below Average Joe is more fun to watch than most of those QB's.

Seriously...I think Joe is having a hard time fitting in with whatever Cam is trying to create. He has new receivers to work with, his running game and play action pass is basicly gone, he has a new line trying to get it together but can't because they are road graders, not pass blockers...and yes...Joe has been inaccurate this year.

Joe's not losing us the games. The whole team and coaching staff is out of sync this year.

He's better than all the QB's I named.

That's progress.

The best of that bunch does not mean that he is necessarily a good QB. I would like the Ravens to have a good QB, and I think a team needs a good QB to be successful and I do not think Top 5 is as of yet and I see no reason to think he will be at this point. BTW Vinny may have been better than Flacco at the time he was here but thats nothing I will argue. And I partially disagree - a better QB may have made a difference in a number of our losses this season.

I was a big Vinny fan.

OK...I've got my sane football hat on for a moment.

Unless Joe totally looses it and collapses, I don't put Taylor in. Taylors the back up, on the bench, untill he shows in practice and in the pre season games that he's better than Joe.

If I am not happy with Joe then I start looking for a QB. I won't find one better in Free Agency. To try there will probably lead to another decade of flops like the above named QB's.

That leaves the draft as my only hope. Since the Ravens usually pick late then I start looking for the next Tom Brady. Joe stays the starter until I find one.

still think david reed is our best returner. From the moment the ball hits his hands till hes ten yards downfield is instant. Way faster on tape than webb, carr and williams. On his last fumble against seattle he was out of that endzone and top speed in about 2 seconds. Had he chosen another hole to squeeze through he was gone.

Yes he fumbled twice and that sucks, but it was one bad game and to me he is clearly the best option.

still think david reed is our best returner. From the moment the ball hits his hands till hes ten yards downfield is instant. Way faster on tape than webb, carr and williams. On his last fumble against seattle he was out of that endzone and top speed in about 2 seconds. Had he chosen another hole to squeeze through he was gone.

Yes he fumbled twice and that sucks, but it was one bad game and to me he is clearly the best option.

The Ravens know how talented David Reed is and that's why they haven't cut him. That's also why Harbargh only took him out for one return after his first fumble against Seattle. He was probably counting on Reed to give them a couple of good returns to help the team back into the game and instead he gave them a PF and another fumble. I don't disagree with Harbs decision to relieve him of his return duties for this game, but if we have another poor offensive showing you can bet he'll be returning for us against the 49ers

I was a big Vinny fan.

Unless Joe totally looses it and collapses, I don't put Taylor in. Taylors the back up, on the bench, untill he shows in practice and in the pre season games that he's better than Joe.

If I am not happy with Joe then I start looking for a QB. I won't find one better in Free Agency. To try there will probably lead to another decade of flops like the above named QB's.

That leaves the draft as my only hope. Since the Ravens usually pick late then I start looking for the next Tom Brady. Joe stays the starter until I find one.

My question and point was why not replace a QB when he is having a bad game and its pretty obvious its not going to get better? For example this week, if Joe continues his struggles against the Bengals why not let Tyrod start the second half? Other than it doesn't happen in the NFL. If winning the game is the bottom line and Joe plays like he normally does against the Bengals wouldnt it make sense to make a change?

I was a big Vinny fan.

Like you said, Max, the chances of us getting a better quarterback than Flacco are so low as to be almost impossible. We'd have to collapse totally to be able to draft a good one or be extremely lucky to find one late in the draft. Plus, I don't think we need a new qb. I just think we need an OC who can take advantage of the talents Joe has.