ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

varaven45

With Ray roaming the sidelines and assuming the role of "player coach", we have observed very positive results and a D performing at a very high level. His influence on the field is immeaurable and he's a 1st ballot HOFer. Meanwhile, the LB corps and his subs - McLain, McLellan Ellerbe, Brendan A, etc. - have been awesome. In fact, you could argue the D has been better across the board wihtout Ray.

Understand the "toe" situtation, but I am wondering whether our D is more efective with Ray coaching/cheerleading on the sidelines or having him as starting LB (assuming he can return at a high level).

Going down the stretch run, it will be interesting how this all plays out. Thoughts ?

:gorave:

Absolutely the defense is more effective without Ray. I'm sorry, I love the guy, he's awesome. But our defense is far more effective with him leading from the sideline. McClain and company get to the RB quicker and are stopping them at 2-3 yard gains rather than 3-4 yard gains. That's huge in the NFL. There were also considerably less 5+ yard gains from SF. His knowledge and passion are absolutely huge on the sideline however. You can tell the guys get up and play for him. Ray unfortunately looks very slow and easily juked at times this year.

Father time is undefeated. I as much as anyone does not want to see him go, however if I'm being objective the defense is better with him on the sideline than on the field.

I think it's also important to note that I think the defense probably isn't as good without him altogether. He's needed as coach motivator. There's no question that the men respond to him.

The players clearly respond to him and take on his persona, I'm sure Ray will have a positive effect on the sideline. It remains to be seen if anyone on this D can lead in Ray's absence. When the chips are down, does anyone have the ability to get the troops to "keep" fighting? See, cuz that's exactly what Ray does. His intensity and passion keep people going. It inspires people to get better. Especially the guys that have played with him on the field. As they begin to retire themselves, I can see Ray's influence possibly begin to fade, but even then, Ray is just a hell of a motivator.

Wasn't the Ravens D still quite good in 2002? He was down in Fla watching U games and they were what top 8 D? In 2007 when he was not in still a good D.

Nope...22nd in yards and 19th in points surrendered.

It was the year of CAP Hell and the Big Purge...payment for winning the Super Bowl.

That was an interesting defense. The only players left were Ray, Boulware, McCrary and McAlister.

Ray and McCrary didn't play much due to injuries. so basicly only McAlister and Boulware were the vet starters and everybody else was new.

They said the same things then as they are saying today about Ray...

"It's like having another coach on the field with us. We really feed off his energy,'' Baltimore defensive tackle Kelly Gregg said.

"Ray is the second defensive coordinator on the sidelines. He's out there inspiring us and getting us fired up,'' said Peter Boulware, who had eight tackles and a sack. "Ray knows everything that is going on. He's paying attention, he's reading formations and he's coaching us from the sidelines.''

Dee...that's when your man Will Demps was drafted and started for the Ravens... :gorave:

Guest BallTMore

We won't fall apart without Ray, but no, I don't think it's better Ray is sitting on the sideline. As reddog mentioned, the Bengals game wasn't exactly amazing without Ray.

They did a great job against San Fran, but Alex Smith made that easier. When he had time to throw early in the game and opted to throw the ball 10 yards down the field, I knew we were going to have a good day. The gameplan was to stop Gore and it was only made easier when we saw Smith was not threat to hurt us with the pass.

The Bengals did better in the passing game, but Ray's main impact is against the run. We've done excellent against the run without Ray, better from what I've seen. Ray is no longer a premiere LBer in coverage.

Dalton throws the ball downfield against our CBs, not a ton over the middle against the LBers to his TEs. In any case, if Jimmy doesn't blow coverage on the long ball, and Dalton's other miracle deep pass is broken up like it should have been, we're not even talking about Dalton having a good game. Dalton is going to be a great QB, and he was impressive, however in all likelihood, that's two scores off the board. Suddenly that game looks much more impressive.

When Chuck Pagano is up for a head coaching role I absolutely hope that Ray is the next DC in waiting. Outside of the motivation he provides he is an extremely smart guy and could easily be a great DC.

How many times does it have to be said? Ray has spoken the words on the radio that he wants to spend time with his family when he is done playing. He said he has missed so much of them growing up that he wants to take time to be able to see football games and all the other stuff.

No kidding? I have a group of friends who live in Lake Mary and have batted around moving down with them.

Yup, thats where my dad lived, he worked for AT&T at Lake Mary, Im looking a liitle further east than LM but its within 1/2 hr drive up the 417. My dads widow still lives in the area, so it'll be nice to visit her..

Force, at your young and as cheap as housing is, you could buy a 4br 2 bath home with built in pool for under 90,000..I would do it in a heart beat, Ive already spent a week down there looking at homes, and have 2 of the 3 fall thru our grasp, caus I cant get our current home sold..DO IT!!!!!!

Yup, thats where my dad lived, he worked for AT&T at Lake Mary, Im looking a liitle further east than LM but its within 1/2 hr drive up the 417. My dads widow still lives in the area, so it'll be nice to visit her..

Force, at your young and as cheap as housing is, you could buy a 4br 2 bath home with built in pool for under 90,000..I would do it in a heart beat, Ive already spent a week down there looking at homes, and have 2 of the 3 fall thru our grasp, caus I cant get our current home sold..DO IT!!!!!!

Crav, I'm a dirt poor Essex guy. :scared: I don't have the money to pull that off; I can hardly hold onto apartment at this rate, between rent and school. If I could get a solid job down there, I'd probably do it in no time, but that's the hard part. And why can't you get the ol' cabin sold?

But it's definitely beautiful down there. And plenty to do...not a far distance from anywhere in Florida.

why can't you get the ol' cabin sold?

You'd have to ask Bush & Obama that question, its very depressing, seeing that in March of 08 my home valued at 390,000 and today I have it listed at 299,900 and people look but respond that its too expensive. I do have a little wiggle room with the price, but I was hoping to get to Fl and live basically mortgage free..I went to get to Fl and not be under the gun to get a high paying job, I wanted to work at Costco or Publix, or maybe even take up bar tending..

http://www.remax.com/property/91373595- ... -PA-17314/

Edited by cravnravn

You can not look at one or two games without Ray and say one way or another about the improvement or down grade of the defense. The new backers, or even just moving from weakside to strong side backer takes a little time. Over the next few games we will see.

One things is glaringly obvious, as mentioned; speed. The speed of the backers is much improved. Hey, Ray is old in football terms, you lose speed not matter how much weight you ditch. This will be vitale in covering the tight ends, something Ray has really struggled with over the past few seasons. He was good for a hold or two quite often because he could not keep up with the quicker ends.

If this team has to face the Pats, they will need the speed to keep up wth their tight ends; a big part of their offense.

As many of you know, I too was in favor of unloading Ray tow, three years ago when he held some value. a great leader yes, but no matter what the talking heads say, what the stats say, if you watch the game, watch him, it is clear, even with one or two big hits per game, his tackles are largely five, six yards down field. He is getting caught in the wash most every play and not in position. His blitzing stinks, he knows he can't run over backs any longer because he dropped weight to try and keep some speed, so he just bangs into them and stops.

I look forward to see the new tandem of backers and see how they progress.

why can't you get the ol' cabin sold?

You'd have to ask Bush & Obama that question, its very depressing, seeing that in March of 08 my home valued at 390,000 and today I have it listed at 299,900 and people look but respond that its too expensive. I do have a little wiggle room with the price, but I was hoping to get to Fl and live basically mortgage free..I went to get to Fl and not be under the gun to get a high paying job, I wanted to work at Costco or Publix, or maybe even take up bar tending..

http://www.remax.com/property/91373595- ... -PA-17314/

My mother had the same issues with the house I've been living in that was just sold last month (after a year on the market). The market price versus what other houses on the street had gone for just months and years earlier was ridiculous. For a house that should have gotten maybe $300k, it took almost a year to scratch up about $180k. She bit the bullet and she knows that, but it was too much to hold onto the house anymore. Everything I've seen suggests that things will hit a huge upturn by spring. I don't know how that applies to your area.

Anyway, I agree about the young backers. I don't think the defense is better by any stretch, but it's safe to say that the younger guys offer something that Ray doesn't. Once they get the things he has, i.e. experience, etc., maybe we could safely say for the first time in 15 years that the defense is better without Ray.

Yep, young backers and a very young defensive line that is getting better with each game. Sure, they will have a hiccup or two, but this new line is young, strong and hungry. They even have one or two stashed on IR who are starting material. Add in some very young and talented secondary players and :scared: this defense got young and, key, good quickly.

They need to keep Reed as long as possible, imo, he is more important than Ray. Ngata will keep the d line hungry and working hard. Reed needs to feed those young bucks in the secondary......... :gorave: