ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ray is holding back the defense

OutsideRzAcE

We've danced around the idea for a couple weeks now, but after last night it is so painfully obvious. More than ever it seems like he is an anchor holding down the defense. They play so much faster without him, and now he is starting to look as bad in run defense as he does in coverage. The D can run so many stunts when he is on the sideline. Pagano can disguise it much better because he has options as far as which linebacker to drop into coverage. With ray in there, the other team knows we're blitzing him and if not, they know to throw to the guy he's covering.

The worst part of it is that Ed is starting to look old too.

It's not just throw to the man he is covering. Teams know Ray cheats up and is quick enough to get the proper depth in the middle on pass plays. So they throw over the middle, under the safties. If Ray would get proper depth, 15-17 yards, those passes could not be complete. Did you see Ray barking on the sidelines in the first half, after they gave up the 3rd touchdown? JJ rolled his eyes and walked away. The playerrs know it, he may make a play or two per game, but by and large he is a detriment to this defense.

To any man, professional or otherwise, its tough to admit when the game or competition has passed you by. Its very interesting how the D played in the previous 4 games w/o Ray. Unless Ray realizes his biggest asset to the D is his coaching, maybe someone just needs to (accidentally) step on his big toe :scared:

I've been saying for a while now Ray should've been moved to the outside backer. No one would entertain the conversation. He's just not fast enough to cover everything a middle backer has to cover. Now, after last night, he doesnt even look fast enough to cover any field. The Ravens are looking at a Wild Card now. Tough break. Webb's injury was disasterous.

If Ray truly wants a championship, he should take on a support role. It's the only way he's gonna get there. Man I miss the days of Ray chasing down WR's. Imagine if we would have passed on Boller. I bet we'd have at least one additional championship. Oh well, can't cry over spilled milk. In any case, Ray should just see things for what they are and make the team decision. It's gotta be tough for someone that's played at such a high level for so long.

If Ray truly wants a championship, he should take on a support role. It's the only way he's gonna get there. Man I miss the days of Ray chasing down WR's. Imagine if we would have passed on Boller. I bet we'd have at least one additional championship. Oh well, can't cry over spilled milk. In any case, Ray should just see things for what they are and make the team decision. It's gotta be tough for someone that's played at such a high level for so long.

Don't you mean if Ozzie had made the call he is paid to make. Say no to the coach over a player he knew was not the right guy. Brian pushed him into making that pick

I've been saying for a while now Ray should've been moved to the outside backer. No one would entertain the conversation. He's just not fast enough to cover everything a middle backer has to cover. Now, after last night, he doesnt even look fast enough to cover any field. The Ravens are looking at a Wild Card now. Tough break. Webb's injury was disasterous.

I thought I did see him playing a little outside backer late in the game yesterday with McClain in the middle. Perhaps the backers were just shifted, but it looked like McClain was behind the center nd Ray behind one of the tackles.

I agree with the posters who say he needs to be a big enough leader to volunteer out on 3rd down. He can still contribute, but he's not an every down player anymore.