ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Receivers unable to beat man coverage.

vmax

Just what we've been saying all year.

Flacco is a big part of the equation Sunday, but he needs help. Greg Cosell of NFL Films noted via Ross Tucker Thursday that he’s never seen a group of receivers “so unable to beat man coverage.”

We can think of one group that is close: The 2010 Ravens. Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron may not be helping matters. Cosell called their offense “incredibly predictable.”

“Watching their tape is like watching the 1960′s,” Cosell said. “One wide receiver to each side, isolation routes. No bunch sets, rub routes.”

These words are worth keeping in mind the next time Flacco takes all the blame for a Ravens loss.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/19/ravens-settle-reed-flacco-story-with-fake-fight/related/

and...".Cosell called their offense “incredibly predictable.”....nothing new.

I think it's also the routes the receivers are running too. We still won't throw underneath to Boldin or a WR screen to Boldin. He was butter at that stuff in Arizona. It's what he's good at, finding holes in zones and taking WR screens. Instead we throw jump balls and ask him to run 25 yds downfield.

Well, to be fair, maybe Joe has real trouble throwing short slants. Or perhaps Cam's version of the Coryell offense just doesn't have slant routes in the arsenal.

I think it's also the routes the receivers are running too. We still won't throw underneath to Boldin or a WR screen to Boldin. He was butter at that stuff in Arizona. It's what he's good at, finding holes in zones and taking WR screens. Instead we throw jump balls and ask him to run 25 yds downfield.

Well, to be fair, maybe Joe has real trouble throwing short slants. Or perhaps Cam's version of the Coryell offense just doesn't have slant routes in the arsenal.

Anytime I have seen Joe throw a slant route he nearly always puts the ball on the money. No matter what happens this season we must make a change at OC.

Ditto on all the above. Aside from Cam's presence, our receivers' inability to get separation is the biggest cause for Joe's passing woes.

I watched the Texans game again last night. He was under duress almost al game. Our OL turned JJ Watts into one of the fearsome foursome. Look, JJ Watts is a very good player, high motor but CMON Man !

As Jaws said, our WR all made great catches. Why ? Because he had to.....nobody gets open, cant shake free.

If nothing else, that game reaffirmed once again why this organization/team needs a new, fresh look on offense.

Unless someone - Cam, Joe or even Ray Lewis - lights a fire under our WR arses - we wont all of a sudden see a change on Sunday.

The change will come after Sunday.

Have you ever noticed how much time Brady and Manning have to pass as opposed to a lot of the performances of our O-line? Often, Brady looks like he's sitting in a Barcalounger.

And our receivers don't get the same separation as the elite teams and I think its more the scheme than the talent.

I would also argue however that other great passing teams use quick passes... 1-3 step drops. How many times do you see Brady step back, throw and hit Welker just 5 yards off the line... all in less than 2 seconds? Always. That's part of opening up the pass attack - as it creates more time later, makes teams afraid to blitz.

I don't know if it's Joe's fault - not finding or knowing who will be opening before a play - or if it's Cam's fault in the routes and plays we call. I tend to think it's Cam's fault more, at the least. As has been mentioned above and plenty before, we run the same 3-4 routes and everyone runs them at the same time.

Against the Texans one of our most effective pass plays all day was when Joe took a single step back and hit Anquan on a slant just 3 steps off the line .... tada!

And unless you have a great QB and great WRs, it's not an offense that usually works.

Agreed. Boldin is a perfect west coast receiver, why we can't use his skills properly is beyond me. Also, why would any OC stick rigidly to a system. You would think they would assess what their players do well and design some plays to accentuate that.

Cmon, Boldin breaks tackles with ferocity and makes plays. Through him a screen! lol

listen to yall talk you'd swear this team was 3-13. it's why I barely come on this site anymore. everyone always bitching. You are suposed to enjoy sports. strange as it sounds. Win or lose. It's a game.

I've been feeling good about a Ravens win all week reddog.

I've put it up in the prediction thread, 'It's Personal' thread and "The Ravens will show up just in case ' thread.

This thread about the receivers I think is true. It could be because they only run the same few tired routes. They always have a defender on them tight. Seperation is rare. I think Boldin, Smith and Evans are capable of doing more damage than they do but Cam doesn't have the plays/routes to help spring them. You can call that complaing but it's football talk to me.

Let me ask you...are you fine with the passing game?

Joe Theisman was on TV last night criticizing Flacco for a play against the Chargers where he took a sack rather than dumping off to Rice which is what Joe T. said he should have done. FYI all of our receivers downfield were covered one-on-one and NONE had any separation.

I want a new Offensive Coordinator regardless of what happens this week.

listen to yall talk you'd swear this team was 3-13. it's why I barely come on this site anymore. everyone always bitching. You are suposed to enjoy sports. strange as it sounds. Win or lose. It's a game.

I absolutely believe that we will win Sunday and I love the team we have. Talking about a spot that we need improvement is not being negative. It's like the Packers saying they're fine on defense.......ummmmm no lol. It's just the reality of the team. We're a very good team right now, capable of winning the Super Bowl, however.......if the WRs got more consistent separation, we could be lights out good! That's all, I believe in this team hands down. Review some of my posts, you'll see alot of positive talk and belief in this team!

Guest BallTMore

Joe Theisman was on TV last night criticizing Flacco for a play against the Chargers where he took a sack rather than dumping off to Rice which is what Joe T. said he should have done. FYI all of our receivers downfield were covered one-on-one and NONE had any separation.

I want a new Offensive Coordinator regardless of what happens this week.

Saw the same thing. Immediatly turned the channel. The hate for Joe this week is insane

Saw the same thing. Immediatly turned the channel. The hate for Joe this week is insane

I am not sure its hate, just people are not sold on him. I went on two trips to different areas last fall and almost to a person fans in the other areas were asking why Joe was still our QB. I am not saying they are comepletely right, it just seems to be a common opinion at least where I have been. I am sure what was viewed as whining last week did not endear him to people outside of Baltimore. I am sure its the same way with some media members.

I do enjoy sports and the Ravens and if I didnt I would not come here or even watch them. If its not fun its not worth doing or paying attention to. Just because I am a fan and want them to do well and to have good players does not mean I think they are all great and above criticism. I wish I thought Joe was a good long term answer at QB I just do not think he is. It doesnt make me happy I feel this way. I do hope he and the team do great and win this week. I just do not expect it.