ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Dean Peas

vmax

Next Ravens DC....they generally promote from within...What do you think?

Dean Pees is in his second season as the Ravens’ linebackers coach. Pees guides one of the NFL’s premier linebacking units, led by Pro Bowlers Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. In his 15th season (2010), Lewis further solidified his place in NFL history, earning his 12th Pro Bowl invite, while leading the team with 145 tackles. Ray’s the only NFL player ever to record at least 35 career sacks and 30 INTs. Suggs also made another trip to the Pro Bowl, earning his fourth-career nod. Ravens allowed the league’s third fewest points (16.9 ppg) for the third straight season (2008-10). Pees arrived in Baltimore after a six-year stint with the New England Patriots, serving as defensive coordinator the final four seasons (2006-09). During his tenure guiding the defense, the Patriots were the only NFL team to finish in the top 10 in scoring defense (points allowed) in four consecutive seasons. New England’s unit also allowed less than 20 points per game in every season under Pees’ guidance. His coaching credentials include six years (1998-2003) as head coach at Kent State and 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator on the collegiate level, including the 1983 season when he coached Ravens head coach John Harbaugh at Miami (OH).

2010: (with Baltimore) Ravens allowed the NFL’s third-fewest points (16.9 ppg) for the third consecutive season...LBs Ray Lewis (12th) and Terrell Suggs (fourth) earned a trip to the Pro Bowl...Lewis led the team with 145 tackles, and Suggs posted a team-leading 11 sacks.

2004-09: (with New England)

2009: Pees led the Patriots’ defense that ranked 11th in the NFL in total defense (320.2 ypg) and fifth in scoring defense (17.8 points per game).

2008: New England’s defensive unit ranked second in the NFL, allowing just 309.9 yards per contest…Patriots surrendered 19.3 points per game and earned an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense.

2007: NE’s defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history…Defense allowed 274 points (17.4 ppg) and ranked fourth in the NFL in yards per game (288.3), which were the fewest permitted by a Patriots’ defense in 28 years...NE finished second in the league with 47 sacks and sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

2006: In his first season as defensive coordinator, Pees’ defense set a franchise record for points allowed per game (14.8), which was second in the NFL...Defense also tied for fourth in the NFL in takeaways (+8).

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Coaches/Dean_Pees.aspx

Guest BallTMore

Pees has an outstanding resume but is he a 'wreak havoc' kind of guy which we need? I don't know him well enough. Del Rio was very successful here.

Good question. I also want a guy that has his players flying around breaking shit, I'm not sure that is Pees' style. We know Del Rio is that kind of guy.

Pagano leaving just stings. I liked his style and so did the players

So why did he leave New England in 2009 to come to Baltimore to be the LB coach?

That seems like quite the demotion and not one I can see someone make voluntarily.

I think it had something to do with Ray Rice going 83 yards on the first play of the 2009 AFC wildcard game.

If you can't beat 'em...etc.