ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

This was brought up on Bruce Cunningham's show yesterday

papasmurfbell

Would you trade RR for the Cleveland #4 pick and take Richardson?

Bruce was no saying RR is proven and Richardson is not.

I was hell yeah. The thing is I don't do Richardson. I try to trade back out of that pick for lots of picks. You could get your LT for the future and get your RayRay replacement. You also still have the #29 pick.

What say you?

You don't trade him to someone in your division, period. That is a decision that will come back to haunt you, especially with someone of RR's ability. Plus, it means we have zero experience at the position if we take a rookie in the 2nd round.

I like Ray Rice for many reasons but this option does make me think of all the holes we could fill if it happened. I do think running backs are a short term commodity and trading back from that spot to get OL help makes sense.

The caveat is, what would dealing RR do to the chemistry of this team? This isn't fantasy football after all.

I'd stay conservative here and keep Rice.

Because he has 4 yrs on his tires and RB's average about 3.5 yrs of use in the NFL. Also you would bend Cleveland over for the #4 pick. That one trade could set the Ravens up for a huge run. Would Dallas have won 3 SB's had they not traded Hershel Walker? I very much doubt they would have gotten 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Honestly, I think Ray has a few more years than the average RB. We're not talking Jamal Lewis here. Ray hasn't taken the hits that a bruising RB takes. Ray is a shifty runner that avoids big contact. Those types of RBs seem to last a bit longer than others. I would keep Ray at least 2 more years before thinking trade. If he was AP in Minny. I would be trading right away. He's a great talent, but he's fumble prone and an injury waiting to happen. Too many big hits. Guys like MJD and RR don't take those hits.

I do think the operative word in your post is seem. Yes shifty guys do tend to last longer but really not that much longer.

If trading RR would get a SB win would you do it? I would. A trade like this can solve many issues on the franchise for 5 yrs.

I would with the trade back go for Doug Martin or Miller in the 2nd round. The OL should be pretty well stocked during this draft with the acquired picks.

Rice for Richardson would be a bad deal for the Ravens.

Bruce must have been having a real slow day to talk about this fantasy.

There's better ones...like...you come home from work and there she is...

9667108_gal.jpg

It's easy to say trade back, but many teams are warry of giving up to much to trade up. Especially in a weak draft class.

Ray Rice is a very special player. I would not trade him unless we receive some sort of proven talent in return. It would be different if Ray was our only good player. That is not the case, Ray is going to be a piece of our Super Bowl puzzle. I do not think there is any combination of rookies available that have a greater impact than Rice.

I don't see a RB being instrumental in winning a SB. Just look at the recent SB champs. How many game changing plays by a running back did those entail to win the game?

The way the rules are structured these days (particulary pass defense) running backs are overrated.

By the time this team is ready to go to a SB Ray will be on the downside of his career. They are in a retooling yr now. They will be having to do a major overhaul of the D very soon.

they were one dropped pass from the superbowl a few months ago.. now they are in a retooling year? wow ok. you have very interesting football views. But you are good for a few laughs

That's the thing, if Rice was one of our only good players I would understand trading him to add more talent to the team ala Dallas many years ago with Hershel Walker. However, that's not the case. We have one of what, 3 or 4 dynamic backs in the league. Ray is a rare talent. He can use speed, moves, and vision as a RB. He can block. And most importantly, he deadly in the open field after catching passes. He's a part of our SB future, I don't see this team as lacking talent and needing to trade him. This team has a good mix of youth and veterans. Oz has this team poised to continue competing year after year.

they were one dropped pass from the superbowl a few months ago.. now they are in a retooling year? wow ok. you have very interesting football views. But you are good for a few laughs

They had so many breaks go their way last yr so don't put everything on that. Also the D is very old with Ray and Ed. They will both be gone soon and need to have their replacement seasoned and ready to go. Pollard is also in his last yr. He may or may not be the guy at SS going forward. At LT and OC they will need new guys in 2013. Those guys will need seasoning too.

To me that is retooling.

They had so many breaks go their way last yr so don't put everything on that. Also the D is very old with Ray and Ed. They will both be gone soon and need to have their replacement seasoned and ready to go. Pollard is also in his last yr. He may or may not be the guy at SS going forward. At LT and OC they will need new guys in 2013. Those guys will need seasoning too.

To me that is retooling.

Every team that wins Super Bowls gets breaks. Every team gets them and every team has plays that go against them. Unless you give me specific evidence breaking down every single game with every single play where there was a "break" for every team and indicate that the Ravens had a higher percentage of "break plays", I will not hold that against any team's success. Are there breaks at the end of games that determine the outcome? Absolutely. But the bottom line is that the team played tough for the preceding 59 minutes that got them to that point win or lose.

As far as the Ravens retooling, every good team is always retooling. Teams can retool and win a Super Bowl the same year. Like you said, the D has some older players in Ray and Ed, so we are retooling the defense constantly. However, these guys are still playing at a high level and we have a nice mix of young players in Cody, Kruger, Webb, J Smith, Cary Williams, Pollard, McClain, and McPhee, and elite players in the prime of there career in Ngata and Suggs. IMO, it is a good mix. The Steelers have a similar makeup on defense. The results for us and the Steelers do not lie, we have been a top defense for the past decade. Players (and coaches) come and go, but both teams do an excellent job of staying on top. Sure, we have some big ones leaving soon (Ray and Ed), and the Steelers do too (Polamalu, Harrison, Hampton, and Smith), but I have no doubt both teams will replace.

If you ask me, the best teams retool every season and are ready to win a Super Bowl. I would definitely put our team in this category. With the holes this team has, could I see us going 7-9/8-8 and missing the playoffs? Sure. But with the front office, coaching staff, talent, and vetern leadership we have, I believe we'll make it to the playoffs. And from there, it is a crapshoot. The 9-7 Giants won the Super Bowl for goodness sake.