ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hat's off to the O's

vmax

Task at hand

SWEEP PITTSBURGH

Thanks for the win tonight Baltimore! You let my Reds ease back into lone possession of 1st place. Keep it up.

Lincon wasn't supposed to be pitching. He only got called up because mcdonald has a swollen elbow and karstens had a set back on his last rehab start. Back to the heart of our staff. Good game buccos showed heart and didn't give up. I just want 82 wins at this point anything else is just icing on the cake though I do hope we are a thorn in the side of the reds the rest of the year lol

Great night for Roberts. Almost 'storybook'.

Jones gave him the pie and you can see how Jones's leadership and passion is affecting this team.

I'll take a hundred of them,“ Roberts said. “After I wiped it off, all the fans were cheering around me, I got a little emotional again. Talk about being a part of a team. I hadn't felt like that in a long time. And that's something that, there's not that many people in the world can understand that feeling, what it feels like to be a part of 25 or 30 guys that are all striving for the same thing, working toward that, and all have the same goals and desires. To be a part of that is something really, really special.”

When Roberts stepped to the plate for his first major league at bat since May 16, 2011, the announced crowd of 15,613 gave him a rousing ovation. Wearing a double-flapped protective helmet, he then ripped a single up the middle. By the end of the inning, his uniform would already be dirty after sliding into first and second.

Roberts added a looping single in the fourth, drove in his first run of the season with a sacrifice fly in the sixth, then singled again in the eighth.

“I didn't know what to expect,” Roberts said. “I wasn't expecting three hits. I was just trying to go out there, and as cliche as it sounds, try to have good at-bats and try to do something that would help us win a game. I really didn't want to be part of coming in here and losing five or six in a row. That was probably my biggest fear more than anything. I just wanted to try to be productive. It was definitely more than I could ask for.”

Roberts served as a catalyst for a top of the lineup — the Orioles first four hitters went 11-for-19 with 2 homers and 6 RBIs.

Wow, what a surprise. Arrieta was really good tonight. And the bats were alive.

And the O's give the Reds a 2 game lead in the division. Thanks again!

Trying to figure out who's jersey to buy. then...do I get the orange, black or white? Leaning towards black right now but that can get real hot in the summer.

I like Wieters, Jones and Hardy.

First, Jones and Wieters are perhaps the safest bets. Jones of course is safest because of the long-term deal. I don't know if that matters to you. But I only buy jerseys (even t-shirt jerseys) every few years - and I hate when the player isn't around anymore. Love Hardy, but he's not long-term yet and may never be. Markakis is long-term too.

Second, the Orange jerseys they are wearing this year are perhaps my favorite thing about the team... aside from them winning... and the players not named Kevin Gregg or Robert Andino... and the hats.

Yea...I don't want one of somebody who'll be gone soon. Jones has brought some kind of fearless attitude and passion to this team. Wieters has taken so much crap from the national media and now they have to eat their words. Love that. He's definately a great catcher IMO...he has the glove, arm and bat. He has it all.

The orange is growing on me...I have to get one this weeekend...can't wait.

TheBird_display_image.jpg?1271683698

Yea...I don't want one of somebody who'll be gone soon. Jones has brought some kind of fearless attitude and passion to this team. Wieters has taken so much crap from the national media and now they have to eat their words. Love that. He's definately a great catcher IMO...he has the glove, arm and bat. He has it all.

The orange is growing on me...I have to get one this weeekend...can't wait.

TheBird_display_image.jpg?1271683698

Your baseball teams colors are the same as my football teams colors. No wonder I kinda like them! :cool:

What a great effort from Hammel tonight. Roberts with a good night too.

I need to get an orange Orioles shirt, I think I will get a Jones one. I have a Lopez jersey, which of course I never wear now. Normally I do not like orange and rarely wear it, but I kind of like the orange Oriole shirts.

Spen... if you're in the market for a shirt, I recommend footballfantatics.com (I know... odd). But, they have a HUGE selection of shirts in all kinds of awesome styles. I love to get shirts that are a little different or have an old logo, and that site has all of that stuff. And its all legit from Nike, Reebok and Majestic - just lesser sold stuff. And good prices.

Got this one a few months ago and people stop me about it all the time: http://www.footballfanatics.com/MLB_Baltimore_Orioles_T-Shirts/Majestic_Baltimore_Orioles__Number_32_Matt_Weiters_Charcoal_Ballyard_Legends_Heathered_T-shirt

I also got an '83 Ripken shirt that is fantastic. I want to buy half the damn site - because it's all so much better than the stuff in the team store!

Roberts is one great story...he's got that padded helmit and some kind of mouth piece to protect him.

Hammel was spectacular and today Chen is following it up...2-0 O's heading into the 7th. This is a close game...whose pitching will prevail?

It is so nice to see solid pitching. Football without defense is one sloppy product and so is baseball without good pitching.

Man what a season so far! I don't want to get my hopes up, but it is hard not to with the way this team is playing. The lineup is hitting for power, the bullpen is awesome, and Buck is coaching his butt off. And we are still missing Markakis, Britton and Lindstrom to injury. It is all going to come down to how the starting pitching can hold up. Hammel, Chen, and Arrieta are all projected to go 200 innings this year? Can we rely on these guys to pitch that many innings?

ESPN had an Insider headline - couldn't read the article - that mentioned Roberts and trade in the same line.

First, anyone who can't see the obvious offensive difference putting Roberts at the lead-off spot has made... is just plain loony.

But to think that, even despite the OVERALL team difference, there are still people that might assume that the likes of Andino is a suitable long-term replacement? Unreal. Andino's glove is fine and I love that he can play all over the infield. But the guy is not a major league starter at any position - especially given his pathetic bat.

Unless we have an ungodly drop off before July 31, there is NO reason the O's should move Roberts - arguably the best leadoff man in the league when he is playing. The only other caveat I would add would be if we were getting a legitimate lead-off man AND second baseman in return... which I doubt would be happening. You don't get more than what you're trading away often, at least not immediately.