ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hat's off to the O's

vmax

Well my Reds remain in 1st in the NL Central. Tied with the Nats and the hated Yanks for the best record in baseball. The problem is Pittsburgh. The Pirates just won't let up either.

av-127.gif

Only on the O's can your starter strike out 12... but only make it 5.2 innings despite giving up only one run! C'mon Chen!

Granted, his pitch count was HUGE because of the number of foul balls... but let's stop Jim Hunter's explanation now. That's not bad luck. That's not having an out pitch or not making your out pitch. The O's aren't unlucky when they see "so many more 2 strike pitches fouled off"... it just means their pitchers aren't as good! Where's Jim Palmer to shoot Hunter down with this BS!

Not sure how many "easy teams" there are this year, period... there are only 3 AL teams more than 2 games below 500 (Twins, Royals and Mariners).

Here's what I'm curious about... the last two years under Buck, despite HORRIBLE early season play, the Orioles have played the best baseball in the league from mid-August through September - and there's no talent-based reason for it. Just seems like they were motivated. Will we see that again?

Somebody explain this too me.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Last Column says POFF, which stands for % chance of making the playoffs...Why is the O's percentage so low, if they season ended today they would be tied for the last spot, but the team they are tied with, Detroit has a 44% chance of making it, compared to the O's 7% chance.

At the bottom it explains that the playoff percentage is set by odds-makers, not a statistical calculation.

Though, if it were a statistical calculation... the Orioles rank VERY LOW in most team stats. Of 14 AL teams: 10th in ERA, 10th in Runs Scored, 11th in BA, LAST in defense. Our "expected win-loss" is a pretty steep losing record based on Runs Scored vs Runs Allowed.

The point? If you were to statistically predict our performance over the next 60 games... I'm sure we would look pretty awful.

Somebody explain this too me.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

Last Column says POFF, which stands for % chance of making the playoffs...Why is the O's percentage so low, if they season ended today they would be tied for the last spot, but the team they are tied with, Detroit has a 44% chance of making it, compared to the O's 7% chance.

prod_228_5876.jpg "They're haters."

Based on the names that were out there vs the prices that were paid... good thing.

I think its good too. I think they are kind of an average team so I am glad they didn't go get anyone. I am not sure one or two players would make too much difference anyhow. I am also glad they didn't sell. It might have messed up whatever they have going and I think its important to finish as well as they can this year. Anyway I do not think there were too many players the team wanted to part with that were wanted by others.

Very nice win tonight. The team answered right back after a terrible first and Tillman settled down and gave them 4 good innings (after the first).

They got clobbered today. but 2 out of 3 from the Stankees is nice.

I'm glad they didn't sign anybody by the deadline. The O's don't have a roster than is only 1 position away from contention. Paying too much for an "Ordinary Joe" is what happens in most cases this time of year.

I started out this season bashing Dukette. I like that he's standing pat. He did not see a deal that he thought would make this team better this year or down the road.

Hey!...Here's to a good August!

peeing.jpg