ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hat's off to the O's

vmax

I don't doubt your expectations. I don't necessarily disagree. I just think it's sad that you can't enjoy good play while it is occurring. Sad that you can't recognize that - in August - this team just took back-to-back series against their two toughest division foes ON THE ROAD.

Can't even muster the words, "wow, that surprised me" or "that was impressive." Nope. Can't manage it.

Funny. I was making a funny but it was true. Short selling is pretty easy... you can even do it via most online brokers if you want (like ETrade) with the right account. It's as easy as picking a stock you think will flop and having the funds to cover the cost of buying them back (as technically you are selling a stock you don't own)

Could speaking to early be in order?

Yes, this might be your best post ever. The you meant to mock someone else ends up as one that you could mock yourself with. Enjoy.

Amazing comeback!

There's no quit in this team. 12th straight extra inning win.

Yeah, they have a lot of problems but they play until the end.

My hopes are still to be 500, I don't really care what place they are in. If they make that anything else is a bonus.

Spen. Unless they have that colosal collapse. 500 ball is in the bag..hell with the wild card. Take the friggin division

It should be in the bag, but this team is more than capable of going on a good losing streak too. At this point I think they will make 500, but I am not sure. If and when they do I will be happy.

Edit: Actually looking at the numbers I am not sure I think they will be 500. I could see them going 22-30 in their remaining 52 games to finish below. I dont want it to happen, but I wouldn't be amazed. So 500 is still my hope.

Some of the O's numbers this year are amazing... in good and bad ways. The two that hit me yesterday were of course the 12 straight extra inning wins: crazy. But then I saw that they are 22-6 in one-run games.

In context: first, that's not a lot of one-run games. Most teams have over 30 one-run games played at this point. No other AL team has 20 one-run wins. Only 3 NL teams do - and all three have at least 17 one-run losses as well. That's just about .800 in one-run games. Which very readily explains how they can be 8 games over 500 while sporting a -50 run differential. (Which is so anomalous that it got the attention of ESPN in a story today. I find it odd that there aren't more breakdowns of the true value of run differential based on the article - I mean, it's obvious enough that +RD is good and -RD is bad, and there aren't a ton of exceptions. But the one-run games and blow-outs (the entire -50RD shows up in the team's 13-19 record in runs decided by 5 runs or more - 150 scored to 204 allowed. With the entire RD made up there, what difference does RD really matter?)

I was going to ask the other day why Steve Johnson wasn't in the majors... I was looking for stats on how Arrieta and Matusz have done in Norfolk (which is ok - not great, but ok). But it was Johnson's numbers that jumped out at me - poor W/L thanks to poor run support, but solid ERA, GREEEEEAT WHIP and nice K/9.

Sure enough... with Britton throwing another awful start (not fully recovered or just a product of the O's?), here is Steve Johnson today... and here's a quality start and 9Ks. Granted, that's against the M's, but the same M's that put up 7 on Britton last night...

By the way... if Steve does get the win tonight (any moment now), my understanding is that it will be on the same day his dad got his first win... during the 1989 Why Not season, 23 years ago. How cool is that?

By the way... if Steve does get the win tonight (any moment now), my understanding is that it will be on the same day his dad got his first win... during the 1989 Why Not season, 23 years ago. How cool is that?

I had a good chuckle when I read it was 23 years to the day his father got his first. I remember that, if my memory serves he had a rough start but settled down and pitched a complete game at a very important time.

Steve looked good tonight. Fantastic win, they were good in all aspects of the game.