ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hat's off to the O's

vmax

Here you go dc:

There are several factors that suggests the Baltimore Orioles will not trade second baseman Brian Roberts. Among them include the fact that the 34-year-old has a full no-trade clause, is owed $13 million guaranteed in 2013 after earning a total of $10 million this season, and has just come off the disabled list. Another factor is that the club is just a game and a half out of first place entering Sunday's games and could actually assist the club in staying in the race.

There are, however, a few reason why dealing Roberts makes sense for both the team and the player.

Roberts could be dealt to a contending team -- assuming the Orioles fade over the next six weeks -- perhaps allotting him a postseason appearance for the first time in his career. In addition, the O's can use all the young talent they can gather and any decent offer, especially pitching, would have to be considered.

Roberts will have to stay healthy and perform to have any value, however, and there is always the chance he'd rather just finish out his contract with the Orioles and would turn down any trade scenario brought to him by the team. He's off to a solid start in his return, collecting seven hits in 22 at-bats in five games.

The idea is something to keep an eye on, though, as the O's move forward with younger players and Roberts is running out of time to see October baseball. If he's open to a deal, has enough value to warrant being shopped, the Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Dodgers,and the Philadelphia Phillies could be among the interested clubs.

- Jason A. Churchill

He's a knuckleballer...never been successfull until now. The O's don't see that stuff and could not adjust to it. Neither can aybody else...he's 11-1 with a 2.00 ERA

He's throwing a knuckler at over 80 mph... that's what's really insane. Wakefield would throw his in the 60s and was successful. To be able to see that kind of movement - crazy and unexpected - at that kind of speed is just unhittable (obviously)

He's throwing a knuckler at over 80 mph... that's what's really insane. Wakefield would throw his in the 60s and was successful. To be able to see that kind of movement - crazy and unexpected - at that kind of speed is just unhittable (obviously)

Apparently when these cats come up against a knuckler, they should go there and practice with a wiffle ball and bat.

In some ways, yes... in other ways, there's only one knuckler in the game right now (Dickey) and he's throwing lights out. And we'll never see him again except perhaps in... no, I won't even say it.

In some ways, yes... in other ways, there's only one knuckler in the game right now (Dickey) and he's throwing lights out. And we'll never see him again except perhaps in... no, I won't even say it.

Go ahead, you can say it, My Son likes to remind me weekly of the ticket he is holding.

baltimore-orioles.jpgThe 0'$ ran into some pitchers who are on fire right now. It looks like the Orioles have 2 starters (not enough) and the hitting just went south all through the lineup....I mean real bad.

But they are still in good shape with a chance to turn things around against the Knats..Schmuck says it well here...

The Orioles are coming off a discouraging three-game sweep at Citi Field, but they've won 9 of their past 15 games, which works out to a .600 winning percentage that would have been good enough if the Yankees hadn't been on a terrific roll for most of that time. The O's are just fortunate that the Yanks finally lost a couple of games to the Braves, or there would be a lot more air between first and second place in the American League East. Now comes the second interleague series against the Nationals, which should make for an exciting weekend.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-grand-slam-062112-pg,0,5347607.photogallery?index=bal-afp_getty-14611873820120621080315

Nice way to end the game...strikeout, throwout.

2-1 O's.

I don't know about you, but every time I see the "W" on the Knats hats or jerseys I think Wallgreens.

16338_275x257_PrimaryLeft_Products.jpg?Lo0P=8ef8cc5a02139429b7a16f166be8572233311

I knew the W in the Nats logo looked familiar ... I could just never figure out where from! Thanks, Max. I have always said - despite the fact that a friend's mother worked for the team that designed all their insignia and unis - that the Nats came up with some of the most boring, run of the mill crap. I get the 'block letters' that are supposed to be reminiscent of engravings on buildings... but it's all just boring. And it just comes off as little league or softball league trying to look pro. (harsh)

Meanwhile... Youk got traded today. One Oriole killer out of division - and hopefully not being traded to us later. You know he was on the list.

And thank you to Wieters... but bats have got to find some life. Markakis likely not back until after the break, Reimold done for the year... where can we find production!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Chen was awesome tonight. Its a shame he got a no decision.

The defense is annoying because the poor defensive players do not hit. Its ok to suck or be average in the field if you have a lively bat. Our players do not. Offense is the majority of the problem IMO.

I am not worried about buying or selling yet, I think its far too soon to plan either. I will say I am not sold on buying unless its a possiblilty the team can go deep which I do not see happening with the Orioles. On the flip side I think its important for this team to finish as well as it can so I hope its not a wholesale.

Baltimore_Orioles.png

Yea...Chen was great. It really makes me wonder how well they could do this season if they had 2 more quality starters. At least that keeps you in the game with a chance to win like last night.

Offensively it's been a nightmare how many men they leave on base.

Defensively I just have to shake my head...how do you get to the big league level and not be able to field a ball?

43 and 37...on schedule to finish above .500. I can't ask for more with this current roster.

Wow, did anyone see Tillman last night? I bet he would have had a complete game, one-hitter shutout if it was not for the Andino throwing error in the ninth inning. Nonetheless, Tillman was no less than spectacular! Anyone see him throwing 97 in the NINTH innings? Fastball had late movement too, which is great because Tillman has always been criticized for having a flat fastball. Most importantly Tillman looks a lot more confident on the mound than he ever has.

If the coaches at Norfolk were able to fix Tillman and give him confidence, hopefully they can do the same with Matusz.

With our offense, defense and sporadic pitching its a miracle we are 44-37. If this team wants to stay "in the hunt" Markakis needs to contribute upon his return or the FO better pick up a big stick. I hear the Phillies' Victarino is available. We need to fortify the SP void left by Matusz and hope Hammel, Chen, Ariietta and Hunter/Tillman can hold down the fort.

This team is enigmatic for sure but is surely exceeding my expectations. .

For all those who defend Andino ... especially by citing his defense... know that this year he is right up there with Betemit and Reynolds in terms of errors. If not for Betemit's error in the game as well, Andino would have taken over the team (and league?) lead!