ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Newsome optimistic about keeping Lewis, others

vmax

I don't know how but "Go for it Ozzie!"

Newsome said he was optimistic "at this point" about resolving the contract issues with his three linebackers and Brown. But he allowed that it doesn't always happen that way.

"We always feel like we're willing to pay more for our players than other people will, but over the past few years, we have lost players because they've had the opportunity to help their families by making a lot of money [elsewhere]," Newsome said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4938238.story

38241590.jpg

Edited by vmax

Ray wants to go to the Cowboys, so who is the third linebacker? Please keep in mind that I've been absent for the majority of the season, so forgive the ignorance.

It's Suggs, Ray and Bart Dee.

This will be an interesting week. If Brown or Ray sign, the rest will fall in place before Free Agency IMO.

Got this off the Browns forum, and they didn't include the link. Maybe it is a Sportsline article?

WARE SAYS RAY WANTS TO “WEAR THE STAR”

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2009, 4:58 p.m.

Amid rampant speculation that Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis will sign a free-agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys at some point after free agency opens in little more than five days, Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware says that Lewis has made clear his desire to play in Dallas.

In an interview with the team’s official web site, Ware was remarkably candid about the situation.

“[W]hen we played Ray Lewis and Baltimore at the end of the season,” Ware said, “he came over and pointed to my helmet. He said, ‘I want to wear this star on my helmet, that’s my dream . . . that’s my dream.’ When we got to the Pro Bowl, he did it again. He came at me every day. It’s a great opportunity for him. His door is open. He’s an unrestricted free agent. He’s trying to get down where the star is. He told me he needed me to get him Jerry Jones’ phone number for him. I just busted out laughing.”

And Ware doesn’t think Lewis is merely trying to leverage Baltimore into giving him more money. “I think he is genuine,” Ware said. “Believe me, he is genuine. He talked to me before he became a free agent. He talked to me two years ago about it. He calls me about once a week and talks about it then. I even said, ‘Hey, Ray, I’m tired about talking about this. You need to find Jerry Jones’ number and fly out there and talk to him. . . . He says things like ‘D-Ware, I need to get down there. You’re the pass-rush guy and I need to play with you. Just call Jerry for me. Just call him. Just call him.’”

We first suspected that the Cowboys might make a play for Lewis when the team signed his brother, running back Keon Lattimore, to a free-agent contract after the 2008 draft. Though Lattimore didn’t stick with the Cowboys, we’ll find out soon enough whether it was a precursor to making a play for Keon’s big brother.

Got this off the Browns forum, and they didn't include the link. Maybe it is a Sportsline article?

Doing a little trolling Dee??? :)

I just read the article...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm...3677404DCDD1719

Ray is one big load of bullshit...if that's what he wants Ozzie needs to cut ties right now.

I'd call him, ask if it's true...if the answers yes then I'd say "so long...we're done".

Edited by vmax

If true, says a lot.

I keep thinking the same thing.."If true...if true"...... I can't believe a player would say that during the season. It's the after the Cowboy game comment that really pisses me off.

And begging for Jerry's number????....sounds like a desperate man. He'll fit in well with those check cashing theives in Dallas.

I'm ok with any player wanting to test the market to find his value. They deserve that. They earned that.

If their team can't match or beat the offer I'm ok with any player moving on.

Right now I'm so mad I don't want him back and I'll never wear his jersey again.

Florio writes for PFT, so that's where that article originated from.

Take it for what it is!

The money needed to keep Ray here can be spent better elsewhere

I like this.

Don't really care what someone issaying in the press or what he press is telling you what someone said, if he wants that big deal, so long.

Never read what the media is putting out at this time.

I still say it is more then just the money.

I keep thinking the same thing.."If true...if true"...... I can't believe a player would say that during the season. It's the after the Cowboy game comment that really pisses me off.

And begging for Jerry's number????....sounds like a desperate man. He'll fit in well with those check cashing theives in Dallas.

I'm ok with any player wanting to test the market to find his value. They deserve that. They earned that.

If their team can't match or beat the offer I'm ok with any player moving on.

Right now I'm so mad I don't want him back and I'll never wear his jersey again.

Come on now, don't overreact. Try to get some perspective on this.

Baltimore is a nice town and the Ravens are a decent football team but Dallas is DALLAS! You shouldn't blame a guy for reaching for the brass ring when he gets a chance.

Putting that star on is it man, almost as cool as being able to don the silver and black. Lewis has dreams just like any other 12 year old.

Just so nobody takes this the wrong way, I am being sarcastic. Honestly, best not to get too wrapped up in this stuff. Putting athletes on pedestals is a bad idea.

Some of them are decent men (Brigance, Al Bumbry, Joe Delaney) but I would imagine most are self centered egoists it is best to stay far away from. Look for great men in the barracks at 8th and I or in any hospital, at Walter Reed or at Bethesda. I would imagine there are order of magnitude greater men playing football in Annapolis than at Ravens stadium.

In order to enjoy watching the Ravens I suspend reality, like I do when I watch a sci fi movie. Otherwise the whole spectacle is too nauseating to stomach - a billionaire schilling a product to increase his wealth so multi millionaires can make more money playing a childs game in a stadium built and paid for by paupers.

So when one of those types like Lewis makes some self serving statement like he did showing his true colors as a superficial and shallow jerk, I just let it roll of my back. I root for the laundry and the city of Baltimore, I spend as much time worrying and fretting about Lewis as he does about me.

I wouldn't build a statue for any of them, unless it was to be placed in apark honoring greed and self aggrandizement.

This whole thing with Ray Ray is becoming more Favre like all the time.

With Harbaugh putting his stamp on this team, I see a changing of the guard and Ray and others going out the door.

If we are going to make some changes, lets do now, move on and get ready for a new, younger franchise.

GO RAVENS !!

I wish we could get an update on Lorenzo Neal. I think we'd be taking a big step back if he doesn't return next season.

This was in the Sun today...

Lorenzo Neal, fullback:

The Ravens could bring him back because his leadership proved invaluable to a growing offense. But he might not have a role if they improve at tight end (which would reduce the need for another fullback). Either way, the Ravens won't make a decision on Neal until after the draft. Chances of returning: 45 percent.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,4875186.story

Viviano made a point this morning about Ray that helps take the sting out of some of Ray's comments(for me). Viv said to remember that, when Ray grew up there were no Ravens. Everybody has a favorite team and the Cowboys could have been his...so he's just voicing a childhood dream....of course with the intent of driving up his value in the market.

Bulldog said "Judge him by what he does between the lines.' Good point. Ray has given everything there for the Ravens. Everything.

Ray has given everything there for the Ravens. Everything.

And can you say at this point he still has that everything?

I was reading that report in the Sun today, the part about Ray. It is saying what most of us have been saying for some time. He means more to this team then any other team. If there is another team out there that will give that big deal to him, good for them. If it ends-up being a dream of Rays then good for him.

Just hope that Ray understand that if Jones pays him that to Jones he is just a sideshow. Come watch Ray Lewis dance in our new house!

If I can sign Brown and Scott, grab a FA corner and still have money left over, I am happy, even if I can't re-sign Ray. Now if I can't re-sign Ray and don't re-sign the others guys, then I am not happy.

Cowboys | Not expected to spend big in free agency

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:27:32 -0800

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he is not expected to make a big splash in free agency. "It would surprise me to see a big splash," Jones said. That would seem to eliminate the possibility of the team adding Baltimore Ravens impending free-agent LB Ray Lewis, who has expressed interest in joining the Cowboys to some players.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Ray may not like the value the rest of the league has for him.

It's just irriatating that Ray would want to play for a joke of team like the Cowboys. Jones is on his way to becoming the next Al Davis if he's not careful. He paying high dollar for over the hill and risky players and the risks are not panning out for him. Good luck Ray, careful what u wish for is all I'm sayin.