ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

what the excuse this time?

dapetes

offensive line still not getting it done,Cameron sucks,Flacco true to form{deer in the headlights}as usual,receivers not getting open like the rest of the receivers in the league,the defense doesn't have the brains to cover heath when he takes off.

This is not Cameron's fault. Flacco was inconsistent and missed several throws. The strip sack was inexcusable...you err on the side of throwing it away early in this game.

The Defense was the huge, I repeat HUGE disappointment for the game. The Steelers had a patchwork offensive line and there were times when Batch could have made a sandwich back there. Wide open receivers on 3rd and long just sitting at the first down marker? WTF? And how do you not cover Antonio Brown OR Mike Wallace on the same play? Who the hell are you covering? Suggs was nonexistant the whole game, Upshaw failed to hold the edge on two big Dywer runs, including the TD. Dean Pees needs to go and take his stupid defenisve schemes with him. You let a 3rd string 37 year old quaterback beat you with a patchwork offensive line - that should be an automatic resignation for the DC.

The Ravens should be a desperate team too. Showing they can be dominant. The 1st game of the season they were dominant after that {if my memory serves me} its been a goose egg. 8 wishy washy wins. Big Deal. A win is not a win to me. I'm still waiting for a better team to emerge.

The Ravens had

The Ravens should be a desperate team too. Showing they can be dominant. The 1st game of the season they were dominant after that {if my memory serves me} its been a goose egg. 8 wishy washy wins. Big Deal. A win is not a win to me. I'm still waiting for a better team to emerge.

I don't think desperation has anything to do with it. What we saw out there is the 2012 Ravens. They are above average but not a great team. 9-3 is a great record but they have been more lucky than good this season. They can lose to anyone at any time. Looking at the rest of the schedule, I think Washington is a toss-up because they skins have been competitive and it is on the road. I think Denver is a slam dunk loss, the Giants is a toss-up and the Bengals game is a toss-up. Hopefully they don't tank all 4, but again this team is just above average. It could realistically happen.

The Ravens had

I don't think desperation has anything to do with it. What we saw out there is the 2012 Ravens. They are above average but not a great team. 9-3 is a great record but they have been more lucky than good this season. They can lose to anyone at any time. Looking at the rest of the schedule, I think Washington is a toss-up because they skins have been competitive and it is on the road. I think Denver is a slam dunk loss, the Giants is a toss-up and the Bengals game is a toss-up. Hopefully they don't tank all 4, but again this team is just above average. It could realistically happen.

Good points although I disagree about the desperation part. You can't tell me the Steelers diidnt play tougher knowing there entire season was pretty much on the line.

Looking ahead, I give us 0 chance to stop RGIII- given our inability to contain one Charlie Batch. Ditto for the Mannings and the Bengals game will be another struggle - yet another grind.

We might easily go 9-7 or sneak one out again and go 10-6. Thras our best sh

The Ravens had

I agree. This is a decent team that had a good record. The last two games we were lucky to win. Leftwich was terrible two weeks ago yet the Steelers were in it until the end and I don't think we win if not for a special teams TD. The Chargers are not good and it took a miracle 4th down conversion and most of OT to win. I would not be surprised to see them lose any game they play.

I do think they will make the playoffs but I don't expect much. In the playoffs anything can happen though.

Its just me and I hate to feel this way but I wont expect anything big from this team as long as Flacco is the QB. A fifth year starter who some say is elite has some media analyzing his game and saying he had a bad 'foot work' day. What a joke.

No excuses...I like your points OTR.

No defensive pressure...coverage breakdowns...Upshaw doesn't hold the edge but credit the Steelers banged up offense for playing better than the Ravens banged up D.

The Ravens fell into the Steelers game plan. They beat the Ravens when they can rattle Joe and force him to make the costy turnover. Joe did just that.

No turnovers and the Ravens win. That's how they won at Pittsburgh.

Sloppy play and costly penalties...Harbaugh has not got that under control all season.

The Ravens took Ray Rice out of the game (12 carries 78 yards but let's not use him). The offense starts and go's with him....not Joe.

This "La-de-da we may not look good but we find ways to win" attitude has to go.

Finally....I don't like this 2012 Ravens teams chances against the Manning brothers, RG3 and Dalton. It feels like this team is comming apart, not getting better.

Poor defense will do that to you. You can never feel that you are in any game. You feel that you can lose any game.

The Steeler D reminded us of how it used to be. Solid defense will keep you in games and then opportunities to win present themselves.

My problem, once again is no finishing move. We went up ten friggin points, then they relax. I dont care if its a practice squad out there, you dont put pressure on the QB and you will most likely lose.

I hear people bitching that Ray Rice only touched the ball 13 times..Dont know about you but every time we had the ball, Rice was on the sidelines.Was that the game plan? was Rice injured?

The amount of time Batch had to throw, was ridiculous..Ngata is getting frustrated, maybe he should shut it down for the year.Whhat did we have 2 personal fouls that extended drives, one on Kruger 1 on Ngata..We need discipline there.

1 pass to Ray Rice, 1 pass to Pitta..theres the game in a nutshell, why the TE wasnt utilized more is puzzling.

Edited by cravnravn

It feels like this team is comming apart, not getting better.

This is it right on the nose. This team is ready to tank the last 4 games. Its quite possible because they're damned lucky to be at where they are this season. The only winnable game I see on the horizon is possibly the Deadskins but I think we could easily lose that too.

The defense is too beat up. Gee we got 3rd stringers playing CB no wonder guys get open. The defensive line and linebackers don't generate a consisitent pass rush. The offensive line never really solved their LT and LG problem (that's on Ozzie). Joe is not elite. Ray is underutilzied.

I hate to say it but I agree with what thesteelhurtin said about a deal with Flacco quite possibly not getting done. What he wants to get paid does not measure up to his overall performance.

Could be a turbulent offseason.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still see Cam as the primary problem - not Joe.

My brother has started playing a game... it's called, "Find the receiver over the middle." He doesn't exist.

In fact, on most of our pass plays you see two routes run... one receiver goes deep, maybe deep post... the others simply do hitch routes or maybe five yard outs. On many plays, you'll see 2-3 receivers in a row, on the same side of the field, run the same route at 3-5 yard intervals. But you won't see any of them coming across the field.

Pitta's one catch was over the middle for a 19 yard first down. Surprise.

I think part of this is of course the deception of me wanting to see it. But others I know see it too, as I said, my brother started "playing" that game. But part of it is play calling.

My theory is that Cam likes to leave the middle open for Ray or Vonta to get a dump-off and make a nice scramble. But I also think a lot of it is just stupid. Not letting our team play. We've all watched for a decade as Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees have made a living (and a few rings) off hitting the target in the middle. Batch even made us look silly that way. And I continue to simply reject the notion that Joe can't do it or doesn't see it.

Meanwhile - yes, Joe missed a bunch of throws. But none of them "easy." Most of them into heavy coverage. Most of them into a mess and under pressure. And the 'balanced' support of a run game just isn't there anymore because Cam doesn't want to use it. Still unreal to me that we threw it 3 times out of the game approaching the two minute warning, with no time outs and tie game. We gave the Steelers the game in that instance.

In the Joe-Cam debate, I have been sliding towards putting more responsibility for the offensive woes on Joe. My main issue with Cam has been where he has created and stuck with a game plan that completely marginalized Rice and overly-featured Joe, even when Joe was struggling heavily (for example, vs Jax and Sea last year). This year I have seen more dependency on Rice and the running game, especially on the Road. Some people still don't like the lack of touches for Rice and the backs, but I've actually been ok with it since the Houston game. I think at some point, it's on Joe to execute consistently. He still doesn't do that. I have heard more and more lately Joe being described as a rhythm QB. I think this is the problem....unless he is in a grove (such as towards the end of the SD game) you are looking at too many 3 and outs.

Overall though I had hope to see an improved consistency from Joe this year, I am still happy with Joe. He does enough to win a lot more than he loses. You can't give the credit to the defense anymore either. Joe, Ray, and this offense are good enough to get us to a SB. We learned that last year. For me the big question mark (and the culprit in this game) is the defense. The O put up 20 against a very strong Steelers defense. With Batch QBing the opposing offense that should have been enough to win. IMO Joe is getting too much heat for this loss.

Well, the D had them on their heals until a handful of turnovers... so I think the Joe blame is deserved in that respect.

But I just don't agree that the offense has been Ray-focused appropriately, nor do I think Joe is given the opportunity to do his best work. Just look at the play calls over and over. It's atrocious.

I'm not entirely confident that Cam is entirely confident that Joe can even throw the ball over the middle.

Go back and look at his incompletions from that game, and (while there were plenty of missed bombs, yes) the vast majority of what you see will be misses over the middle. Joe has two settings on his arm: deep floater, or ten feet too high. Even his backfield passes to Rice generally cause that poor guy to jump three feet in the air just to catch; if we had an average tailback, Joe would have been cut by this point.

I'm not entirely confident that Cam is entirely confident that Joe can even throw the ball over the middle.

Go back and look at his incompletions from that game, and (while there were plenty of missed bombs, yes) the vast majority of what you see will be misses over the middle. Joe has two settings on his arm: deep floater, or ten feet too high. Even his backfield passes to Rice generally cause that poor guy to jump three feet in the air just to catch; if we had an average tailback, Joe would have been cut by this point.

Funny, I was just reading an article on Flacco's overthrows on deep balls.