ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The best defense

dc.

I see all this talk about how the Skins offense is going to shred us.

Let's return to our roots.

The best defense is... a slow, methodical, offense that doesn't let the other team on the field. How about 30 carries for Rice, a few more to Pierce ... and some SHORT passing. Bring it.

We kept the Texans to 3 & out on their first two drives before a nothing pass-only offense destroyed us. Slow it down. Keep the ball out of their hands. Make THEM feel the pressure to get back in it or 'short clock.' Not vice versa./

Good strategy and maybe the best one. I've watched every skins game this year and the Steelers were the only team to successfully shut down RGIII. He was knocked out in another game - against Falcons I believe.

Back to your strategy . Do you think Cam has it in him to stick to the ground after last Sunday ? Also, the Skins are stout against the run - top 5 .

Teams are just passing away and racking up 300 yds plus every game.

I see Cam and Joe chucking it around the yard and taken advantage of the Skins secondary.

Meanwhile, I think the skins will be pounding the hell out of the rock and giving us a steady dose of RGIII and Alfred Morris. Other then the Steelers, nobody has stopped that duo.

I'm all for that! :gorave:

Now here's the problem.... :cryin: .....that is how other teams beat the Ravens. Roll up the yards (Ravens are 23rd giving up rushing yards)....Indigenous Persons have the #1 rushing attack. They can control the clock and keep Joe and the O on their butts.

Here's hoping the Redzone D shows up.

The Ravens have to score 7's and hold the Indigenous Persons to 3's in this battle.

Three thoughts:

1. the Skins have the #1 rushing game because of 700+ yards from RG3. If you reduce that to a league average of about 100 per QB (if that), they are suddenly 10th. Not bad, of course - and we certainly have to account for RG3 - but I just mean to show that not all of that is "rushing" as much as RG3 scrambling.

2. Do I think Cam can or will stick to such a plan? Of course not, he's licking his chops even against good defenses - so I can't imagine what he'll be doing against this defense and it's secondary. But you would think that seeing Rice put 83 yards on 13 touches would wake that up a bit. You would think he would eventually get the message we all get/have gotten: that given enough touches, Rice not only dominates a game but makes game-changing plays. When Rice gets the ball, he makes plays.

3. A depleted secondary is just as easy to run on as it is to pass on. We get too bogged down in "this unit" on the field controls "this phase" of the game. We see with the Ravens, a depleted DL doesn't just affect the rushing game. And a depleted DB squad affects the running game too - LBs dropping more into coverage, perhaps trying to overcompensate with the blitz. The ability to run to the corner becomes more possible. It will certainly work - I am certain it works against good defenses. We just need an OC to call it.

I just don't understand why rice doesn't 25+ touches a game. He is one of the most explosive weapons in the NFL and basically gets ignored. I know yinz just want to explode. I know the feeling but thankfully I believe Haley is kind of in Lebeau mode and happy where he is at. Being home carries a lot of weight.

It's not just touches to me. I don't buy that catches and rushes equally affect the defense. I want 20 rushes, easily, per game. And then he can catch as necessary.

Maybe it's conservative... maybe it would wear him down... who knows. We don't because we've never really gone there. But how about we lay off in light games (not that there are tons, but we 'wrap it up' early occasionally), and then he can be really ready to carry a lot later.

I'd love to see Rice get the touches again. Against Pittsburgh he was not used at all i thought maybe he was injured. This is turned into a huge game for us Sunday when it should have been a breather for us. Skins db's are as bad as ours. So with Rice running the ball efficiently should open up some big plays for Joe to go down field.

Im more concerned with Suggs. I hear he's trying to finish out the season with this injury.

You think Rex will be able to put his ego back in the box? You think he and Harbs will be able to get along given what he's said? You think he can do with the lack of depth we have what he did years ago with great depth?

Rex is an embarrassment.

He built a solid reputation and resume while he was with the Ravens....who shielded him. Once the shield came off, he self destructed....he pissed it away.

It also doesn't help having Tenenbalm getting bad players for you.

True...and making stupid predictions, fat mouthed boasts, and letting the world know you get off sucking your wife's toes doesn't help either.

Getting fired can be a humbling experience. I'm sure the players would love Rex back.

I sure can't take watching Pees weak ass blitz schemes for another season. Rex was able to disguise blitzes that really helped when the front 3 or 4 weren't able to generate pressure on their own which has been a problem for years.

Rex could disguise blitzes because there were more options for where blitzes or pass defense could come from. He could send more guys on a blitz because of a strong defensive backfield... and he could send different guys to blitz because our linebackers were more adept at getting into coverage as needed.

Rex was a very competent DC. As a head coach all of his faults, egomanic in particular, have gotten magnified. While I respect him as a DC I don't want him back here unless he's feeling properly chastized.

You may recall he was a loose cannon when he was here too, punching out a neighbor who's son didn't get along with Rex's son.