ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Leave Ayambadejo in Baltimore

vmax

This selfish jerk is about to create a huge distraction for his team as they try to prepare to win a Super Bowl.

With the national spotlight shining on the Super Bowl-bound Ravens this week, linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo is apparently hoping to divert some attention off the gridiron.

According to New York Times columnist Frank Bruni, just hours after Baltimore’s AFC championship win, Ayanbadejo directed an e-mail to marriage equality advocates asking how he could utilize the increased Super Bowl media to help support same-sex marriage.

Writing at 3:40 a.m. on Monday morning, according to Bruni, Ayanbadejo asked gay rights advocate Brian Ellner and Michael Skolnik, political director to Russell Simmons, whether there was “anything I can do for marriage equality or anti-bullying over the next couple of weeks to harness this Super Bowl media.”

Later dubbing the note his "Jerry Maguire email," a reference to the late-night mission statement penned by Tom Cruise’s character in the eponymous 1996 sports flick, Ayanbadejo told Bruni: "I got to thinking about all kinds of things, and I thought: how can we get our message out there?"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ayanbadejo-to-bring-same-sex-marriage-cause-to-super-bowl-20130123,0,48402.story

Same sex marriage is a volitile and polarizing issue nationally, so it will be a great distraction for this team. The last thing that they need.

All he cares about is himself...certainly not about Holliday who ran past him twice for TD's....certainly not his team, whom he burdened with his disparaging remarks about the Patriots before that game.

The Ravens do not need a player like this. They never had a T.O., but they have one now.

I have no problem with gays getting married.

I have a problem with this issue being associated with the Ravens during Super Bowl week because, like I said, it's highly volitile and polarizing nationally. They do not need this distraction...it's a big one. The media can turn it into a big story .... They may...hopefully they won't...but they are searching hard for a gay football player to come out of the closet and while I don't know if Ayambadejo is gay...what happens Super Bowl week if he is and comes out?

Headlines.

He's the story...not the Baltimore Ravens.

He should stay quiet on this Super Bowl week and then talk about it all he wants after the game.

There will be a ton of "fires"...some big like the Ray Lewis Atlanta murders...many small like a player boasting ect....there will be enough distractions.

I'm ok with it, but I guess it depends how strongly you feel about gay rights or gay marriage. Substitute Gay rights with racial discrimination or segregation and imagine a white athlete in the 1960's asking civil rights leaders what Ayanbedjo is asking these gay rights advocates. Some things are bigger than sports, and though I love my Ravens, to me this is bigger than them.

If he has a platform for positive change I don't know how it hurts. If he was was wanting to talk about making schools safer, would you feel the same way??

No...it's not a volitile issue...most people are for that.

OK...it's good to see that this doesn't bother prople here....like it's no big deal. I hope it goes over that way.

We'll see.

I hope the Ravens can avoid distracting controversey this week and next...no arrests...late curfew violations...this upcomming game is way too important.

So, is it the marriage equality you have a problem with, or anti-bullying?

All sorts of stupid questions are asked at media day. Why shouldn't he talk about some things that he advocates?

Caus same sex marriage has nothing to do with the Super Bowl...As Billick opened media day pointing out that no media members were qualified to question Ray about 1999...It worked, but Harbs doesnt have the respect yet that Billick did back then.

Caus same sex marriage has nothing to do with the Super Bowl...As Billick opened media day pointing out that no media members were qualified to question Ray about 1999...It worked, but Harbs doesnt have the respect yet that Billick did back then.

"What is your purpose in life?"

"Is it your mother who's blind, and your father who's deaf, or the other way around?"

"How long have you been surrounded by thugs?"

"Who has the better hair, you or Steelers safety Tony (sic) Polamalu?"

"Can I measure your bicep?"

"Do you believe in voodoo, and can I have a lock of your hair?"

"What size panties do you think you'd wear?"

"Can I have your pants?"

"What's your favorite bar of soap?"

"How long does it take you to wash your hair?"

None of these questions have anything to do with football, yet all were asked the Super Bowl media day. BTW, the question about being surrounded by thugs was an actual question to Ray Lewis. So, it seems that the fact that Ayanbedo wants to use an opportunity to talk about a subject on which he advocates is the problem.

"What is your purpose in life?"

"Is it your mother who's blind, and your father who's deaf, or the other way around?"

"How long have you been surrounded by thugs?"

"Who has the better hair, you or Steelers safety Tony (sic) Polamalu?"

"Can I measure your bicep?"

"Do you believe in voodoo, and can I have a lock of your hair?"

"What size panties do you think you'd wear?"

"Can I have your pants?"

"What's your favorite bar of soap?"

"How long does it take you to wash your hair?"

None of these questions have anything to do with football, yet all were asked the Super Bowl media day. BTW, the question about being surrounded by thugs was an actual question to Ray Lewis. So, it seems that the fact that Ayanbedo wants to use an opportunity to talk about a subject on which he advocates is the problem.

And those are simple stupid questions, sex, religion and politics shouldnt be discussed at the SB, I dont care what Femis brother does on his private time, it doesnt effect ME..

And those are simple stupid questions, sex, religion and politics shouldnt be discussed at the SB, I dont care what Femis brother does on his private time, it doesnt effect ME..

there is no line of questions that is exclusive to the super bowl.... they'll ask anything they want. There are no rules. If he wants to steer the questions towards something he actually cares about. I just don't see how that's an issue. Why get upset prior to anything taking place. If he is a distraction, then be bothered.. but why be bothered in advance?

I get where Max and Cravn are coming from, I just don't agree that this has no place in sports. Socially conscious athletes have always been a part of sports, and sports have always been a vehicle for social change (or at least advocating for it).

OLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg

If it wasn't a volatile issue that divided the nation it wouldn't be worth taking a stand. I understand that in a lot of people's minds gay marriage doesn't equate to black rights in the 60's, but perhaps in 50 years people will think differently. Is this ideal for the Ravens? Of course not, but again this (to me) is bigger than the Ravens.

I get where Max and Cravn are coming from, I just don't agree that this has no place in sports. Socially conscious athletes have always been a part of sports, and sports have always been a vehicle for social change (or at least advocating for it).

OLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg

If it wasn't a volatile issue that divided the nation it wouldn't be worth taking a stand. I understand that in a lot of people's minds gay marriage doesn't equate to black rights in the 60's, but perhaps in 50 years people will think differently. Is this ideal for the Ravens? Of course not, but again this (to me) is bigger than the Ravens.

I completely agree. If you have a platform then use it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• 4 months later...

971649_10151455837398531_558037498_n.jpg

Is he a selfish jerk?

No... because this is not a distraction before the Super Bowl, Birk is retired and not a part of the upcoming season.

It worked out that Brendon was not a distraction and that's all that had bothered me. I didn't want a freak media storm distracting from this teams focus before the most important game of their lives. Gay Marriage is a volatile issue today in this country and throughout the world....so the press loves it.

Actually Brendon really did well because they were waiting like vultures for one slip of the tongue...14271.jpg...one semi controversial sentence that they could twist into headlines. They really are looking for the guys who will say they don't want a gay player on their team or in the locker room. That's a goldmine right now for the media.

971649_10151455837398531_558037498_n.jpg

Is he a selfish jerk?

Yes he is, Wednesdays visit to the president had no political or religious overtones tied to it. It was a day of celebration. If birk couldn't put his beliefs to the side for one hour. Then shame on him.