ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Refs will penalize players who dunk over the goal post

Oldschool739

What's next, a personal foul for smiling ????? .... Stupid Rule !!....Roger must be one boring dude....
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT

350x-144.jpg?w=250Getty Images

The goal post dunk, a favored post-touchdown celebration of many NFL players, is going the way of the Ickey Shuffle, the cell phone call, the Sharpie in the sock and all of the other celebrations banned by the No Fun League.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/refs-will-penalize-players-who-dunk-over-the-goal-post/

Ridiculous. And Goodell thinks Cuban is full of crap.

I know, he talked about how the increase in Thursday nite games were giving the fans what they want....You know, supply and demand !!

Then he turns and speaks out of the other side of his mouth and says, no celebrating by this or that and who gives a frog flatulence what the fans want....The guy is a total buffoon....

I am all for this one. Stop a player from getting hurt and stop the post from getting screwed up.

Ya want to dunk the ball? Join the NBA

I still like Smurf's laser idea better than extending the posts 5 ft.....But after hearing their explanation of banning the dunk, I can understand why they did it.....Although it seems to me that the 5ft extension will make it more top heavy and could be knocked off kilter by heavy winds now...Maybe they should redesign the thing to be a little sturdier than it is in the first place and we wouldn't have to alter the players celebration...

I still like Smurf's laser idea better than extending the posts 5 ft.....But after hearing their explanation of banning the dunk, I can understand why they did it.....Although it seems to me that the 5ft extension will make it more top heavy and could be knocked off kilter by heavy winds now...Maybe they should redesign the thing to be a little sturdier than it is in the first place and we wouldn't have to alter the players celebration...

Tennis has Electronic line judge. I am sure that is something they should look into. And I am sure they will have some type of cables on them to make them sturdier.

• Upvote 1

Did they ban the Lambeau Leap? That's way worse than a dunk.

The message is...Do not feel good or get excited if you score a touchdown. Do not smile. Make like nothing happened and walk back to your bench with your head down.

The message is...Do not feel good or get excited if you score a touchdown. Do not smile. Make like nothing happened and walk back to your bench with your head down.

You just described JohnnyU

• Upvote 1

Max, it is not just about injury also about how long the game gets delayed if & when the posts get bent, the time needed to fix them. They could have split the difference and said dunking is fine, grabbing or hanging on a penalty, I suppose.

However, now the posts will be five feet higher, that is both an injury risk not only to the players, the personnel on the field and fans but also a longer time to repair. I do agree I am not happy with the way NFL has gone or is going, but this was a pretty clear and right move.