ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft Day used to be fun

cravnravn

Yea...it was more fun to camp out on the couch all day Saturday and Sunday. Hang out on the board and rap....the good old days.

But it's not about the fans fun or convenience.

It's about ratings and getting in their wallet.

Hey...we may stay up to 11:20 and not see them pick because they traded out.

Still, I'm hooked. Like a moth to a flame. Have it at 3:20 am...I'm there.

It sucks for me. I used to love spending a Saturday evening watching the early rounds (It used to kick off at 5pm my time).

It now kicks off at 1am! With 10mins per pick and the Ravens picking 32 that could be 5 hours before the Ravens pick and that is assuming they don't trade out. That's 6am my time. That rules me out as I will have to work in 2 hours.

I guess I'm going to have to watch it on rerun on NFL network and try and avoid all media while working on Friday.

But 8pm on a Thursday, SB Champs picking at 11:20 pm has no appeal to me anymore.

Cmon Crav. You either win a Super Bowl and pick near midnight or you are the Raiders or Browns and pick early. You cant have both.

Or is the 11:20 time frame giving your grief ? If so, have a cup o Joe and a few shots of espresso :bleh:

Here comes the old fart with a comment now: I remember when the draft consisted of 25 picks or so and was completed in a day if I remember correctly. This would have been back in the 50s and 60s.

Does anybody know why we just have 7 rounds today? I'm guessing its because we have 32 teams instead of the 12-14 that existed back then.

Carrie-Prejean-Kyle-Boller.jpg

It will be interesting tonight from one perspective. How much additional crap, that they think is entertainment, will crowd the broadcast of the draft?

We now have to look at college guys sitting and waiting with their families and girlfriends, a movie on the Browns is being filmed there... :laugh: ...guest appearances by Hall of Fame players and regular players, 587 commercials...all this crap crowds the time allowed for the nuts and bolts of the draft. I want to see film clips of the player being drafted playing his position, stats, analysts information...draft trades ect.

Too much of the NFL is turning into reality tv.

Take Honey Badger for instance. He's used this stage to promote himself...the medias all over him printing every word and text....and he's not a star and will never be a star player. He may get drafted by the 3rd round...maybe.

Then the obligatory rags to riches stories...throw in some tear jerkers...hell...open it up with Jacoby Jones Dancing with the Stars and don't forget the "God Bless America let's capitalize on that and our Armed Forces" stuff.

Cmon Crav. You either win a Super Bowl and pick near midnight or you are the Raiders or Browns and pick early. You cant have both.

Or is the 11:20 time frame giving your grief ? If so, have a cup o Joe and a few shots of espresso :bleh:

:thumbup: Absolutely correct.

Weren't there Super Bowl winners and 32 teams when the draft was just a weekend and not the long, drawn out cash cow its been turned into now? Pretty sure the horror that was the Kyle Boller pick happened on a Saturday.

There have only been 32 teams since Hou came back.