ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Franchise Pitta? Why?

rastaman831226

We just have different viewpoints I guess. According to you, if something works 9 times out of 9 and doesn't work the 10th time, it's a mistake. I happen to believe if something works 9 times out of 9 and the Ravens choose to do something different the 10th time, then that is a mistake. Another example:

To me just because overall I think the front office does a good job, and I do, that doesn't mean I don't look at each individual move they make and decide on each one those. I try to look at both the parts and the sum of the parts.

The Ravens, and most teams, look at what players cost and what they think they can bring to the team and decide whether they are worth it. In looking at what Boldin did this season, in looking at how our offense sucked this season, and Joes lack of targets I think the team messed this one up. I think they underestimated his worth.

You get some right, you get some wrong. Just the way it is.

Right after Boldin was traded, the FO resigned David Reed for the $2 mill that could have gone to Boldin. Reed was a major flop ( again ) and was released soon after.

The $2.5 million was not guaranteed and it was over the life of a 2 year deal, so it's not like they took the $2 mil they saved from Boldin and gave it to Reed. Also only $500,000 K was guaranteed and Reed ended up being traded, not released.

The Boldin thing - in hindsight I don't see how you can say it was the right move. He did well (85 catches, 1200 yards, 7 TDs), our offense stunk at converting 3rd downs and staying on the field, and as tornado just mentioned, we received a pittance for him. The trifecta of oops.

Was the Boldin decision the correct decision at the time? I believe so. We needed the $ to rebuild the defense and we felt we had good young receivers for Joe to throw to. Now with hindsight, the decision looks bad because most of the D players that were signed except for Smith and Dumervil were busts and the offense was crap with a combination of bad line play, bad QB play and crap game plans and a few key injuries such as Pitta.

The 6th round pick we received was not a pittance. They weren't going to get anything more from anyone as the talk was Boldin would be released. Getting a pick was actually a good thing.

Overall the decision looks like crap because Boldin had a good year. Would he have had a good year here as well? Hard to tell with the aforementioned crap play. Boldin also played with somewhat of a chip on his shoulder this season as well. As in he wanted to show the world the Ravens were wrong. I think he did a good job. Would he have been as motivated here after winning a Superbowl? What would have happened if Joe wasn't throwing him the ball and we were losing? He was vocal enough that it could have become a distraction. A lot of what ifs.

We also face another similar decision with Suggs. Hopefully we get it right.

Bottom line- Boldin wasn't worth 6 mil..and he wouldn't renegotiate his contract so it was trade him and get nothing, or release him and get nothing.

San Fran has an oline, we don't and if anyone thinks that Boldin would have caught over 1000 yards behind this oline. Didn't watch the 2013 ravens .

Bottom line- Boldin wasn't worth 6 mil..and he wouldn't renegotiate his contract so it was trade him and get nothing, or release him and get nothing.

San Fran has an oline, we don't and if anyone thinks that Boldin would have caught over 1000 yards behind this oline. Didn't watch the 2013 ravens .

With PItta out you're telling me Boldin wouldn't have gotten those numbers?

The Boldin thing - in hindsight I don't see how you can say it was the right move. He did well (85 catches, 1200 yards, 7 TDs), our offense stunk at converting 3rd downs and staying on the field, and as tornado just mentioned, we received a pittance for him. The trifecta of oops.

Notice how much better Q gets when he leaves bmore.

• Upvote 1

Anquan for a 6th round pick?

No, that's a mistake if I ever saw one.

A player is only worth what someone is willing to give up for him. That was Boldin's worth. People are actually blaming the Ravens because no other team felt Boldin was worth more?

A player is only worth what someone is willing to give up for him. That was Boldin's worth. People are actually blaming the Ravens because no other team felt Boldin was worth more?

Then that would mean S.F had the foresight to think Boldin was worth the remainder of his contract and we, in hindsight, were wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

How do we know how much of the market they tested?

I almost think John felt bad about winning the Super Bowl over his brother and gave him Boldin so Jim could win one. I don't believe that but it feels that way to me.

The 49'ers are not going to Seattle Sunday if Boldin doesn't suit up for them in Carolina.

Then that would mean S.F had the foresight to think Boldin was worth the remainder of his contract and we, in hindsight, were wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

No. Given the stability of their roster, SF was in a better position to gamble. The Ravens had multiple holes to fill. If you remember...DL was a huge question mark. The pass rush was a huge question mark. They had to replace #20 and #52. Actually...they had to replace both starting safeties as well as two starting LBs. They had to replace a starting CB.

Boldin had a good year this year. I'm very happy for him. It doesn't mean the Ravens made a mistake. They had to create cap room somewhere. It's not like they didn't make an attempt to keep him. I suggest you buckle down, because it's going to be the same thing with Suggs. I'm a huge Suggs' fan, but If the Ravens have a legitimate shot to land Mack and need to part ways with Suggs to do it...I am ALL for it.

• Upvote 1

When's your preseason start again Troy? You're obviously bored, but congrats on the contract extension!

"Smith was re-signed to a three-year contract, which keeps him with the Alouettes through the 2016 season."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Smith

• 1 month later...