ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Pitta signed

Money

5 years / $32mil

Very fair contract. Everyone should be happy with this.

Hopefully they get Smith done before FA starts as well. They will tag Monroe to keep other teams from talking to him and will then work out a nice deal with him as well.

5 years / $32mil

Very fair contract. Everyone should be happy with this.

Hopefully they get Smith done before FA starts as well. They will tag Monroe to keep other teams from talking to him and will then work out a nice deal with him as well.

If years of forum surfing has taught me is that "everyone being happy" is an impossibility. Only if a player takes the vet minimum and plays Pro-Bowl caliber is it even close.

I like it.He's proven himself and the Ravens need a chain mover and redzone threat. I think he has 4 good years left in the tank.

It helps this years draft too because the Ravens need O line help, a playmaking receiver, a runner, LB, safety, CB...they need some pieces.

LOL Cravn!

I'm cool with the deal. It's for Joe really and he didn't break the bank with the cap going up so much over the next few years. This opens the door to keep Monroe.

LOL Cravn!

I'm cool with the deal. It's for Joe really and he didn't break the bank with the cap going up so much over the next few years. This opens the door to keep Monroe.

My only hesitation is the injury, it's the same injury that ruined Bo Jackson. And yes I'm fully aware he played well when he returned. I'm just Leary opening the wallet without seeing him go a full year.

• Upvote 1

so they did pay him as a slot receiver. another win for the agents.....

I'm not sure where you are getting this. He's the 9th highest paid TE in the league. He'll be 10th if/when Graham gets his deal. He won't even be in the top 15 highest paid TEs in two years.

As far as percentage of time TEs are targeted while on the field...he's 3rd behind Gronk and Graham. It's a very fair deal for both sides.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't. It would help if they get Smith done before FA begins. They have time with Monroe after he's tagged.

It will artificially increase his salary.

Nicely done with Pitta. Worth the money. Monroe may have to be tagged. There aren't any better LTs out there in FA and we're not drafting high enough to get one of the known studs. Hopefully, we can pick up a RT.

OK. He isn't in the top 5 of his positions. So you can't inflate him to that level. It would be like I want a coke but the place only has 1 left. I am not paying $50 for it. I will go down the street where it is at regular prices.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/28/franchise-tag-numbers-for-2014-are-set/

There is no way he is worth that. I would not go over $9 mil.

You might tag him to keep him off the market and be able to negotiate exclusively with him. The other side is you could tag him, try to work out a deal and then trade him if nothing comes up especially if we end up with a top LT from the draft.

Yeah but the tag increases the income of the recipient.

What are you talking about? The tag figure only comes into play if a deal isn't worked out. Monroe wants to avoid having to play under the tag just as much as the Ravens want to avoid it. What the tag will ensure is that no other team (like the Dolphins) mucks up negotiations by putting a ridiculous offer out there. With the tag in place, they would need to give the Ravens two 1st round draft picks if the Ravens didn't match their offer.

• Upvote 1

Yeah you usually tag guys who are in the top 5 of their position not guys who are around 12.

Here are the players tagged in 2012. How many would you consider "top 5" at their position?

Arizona Cardinals: Calais Campbell, defensive end

Atlanta Falcons: Brent Grimes, cornerback

Baltimore Ravens: Ray Rice, running back

Chicago Bears: Matt Forte, running back

Cincinnati Bengals: Mike Nugent, kicker

Cleveland Browns: Phil Dawson, kicker

Dallas Cowboys: Anthony Spencer, linebacker

Denver Broncos: Matt Prater, kicker

Detroit Lions: Cliff Avril, defensive end

Indianapolis Colts: Robert Mathis, defensive end

Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Scobee, kicker

Kansas City Chiefs: Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver

New England Patriots: Wes Welker, wide receiver

New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees, quarterback

New York Giants: Steve Weatherford, punter

Oakland Raiders: Tyvon Branch, safety

Philadelphia Eagles: DeSean Jackson, wide receiver

San Francisco 49ers: Dashon Goldson, safety

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Connor Barth, kicker

Tennessee Titans: Michael Griffin, safety

Washington Redskins: Fred Davis, tight end

How about 2013?

Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd - $6.916 million

Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton - $8.45 million

Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson - $11.175 million

Dallas Cowboys linebacker/defensive end Anthony Spencer - $10.627 million (120 percent his 2012 tender)

Denver Broncos offensive tackle Ryan Clady - $9.828 million

Indianapolis Colts punter Pat McAfee - $2.977 million

Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert - $9.828 million

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks - $8.45 million

I'm completely with Money on this. Tagging him keeps him away from a bidding war and off free agency. It denies him a secure contract so there is still leverage on both sides to keep negotiating for something more reasonable and longer.

As usual, John Eisenberg hits the nail(s) on the head:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Wondering-If-Dennis-Pitta-Overpaid-Dont-Think-So/b33a31a2-6180-432d-8765-c5bc346b5177

Edited by oldno82