ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Resign Monroe

colincac

Ravens re-signing OT Eugene Monroe to a five-year, $37.5M deal, per sources

Solid deal as usual. Glad this one worked out for us!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Re-Sign-Tackle-Eugene-Monroe/cfbc1b01-a1d8-47fb-a8a4-8561c8a9d0da

Devil is always in the details, but if initial reports of total value, bonus and guarantee are accurate, Monroe deal looks great for Ravens

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, the Raiders gave Saffold 5 years 42.5m. WTF are they thinking. Saffold flamed out at LT looked ok at RT but pretty good at G. Still, 8.5m a season? I guess you have to pay a premium when no one wants to join your franchise.

I will happily eat crow over how much I thought Monroe would cost. This is an unbelievably good deal.

BTW...2014 cap hit is a little over $3mil.

You're a good dude Money. And it doesn't matter, about how we got him. We got our guy. I saw your point.

I will happily eat crow over how much I thought Monroe would cost. This is an unbelievably good deal.

BTW...2014 cap hit is a little over $3mil.

me 2. I'm shocked we got him for $7.5m per season especially with the deals Saffold and Albert got. I owe RBG an apology.

You're a good dude Money. And it doesn't matter, about how we got him. We got our guy. I saw your point.

His guaranteed money is definitely in line with what I thought. With Clady's deal last year (5yrs / $52.5mil) only $15mil was guaranteed. Monroe got $19mil guaranteed (slightly more than half the contract). I am 100% confident that he will be worth every penny.

Same deal RavenMad, we were just talking and passionately stating our opinions. We got what we all wanted. I respect your position at the time but we are really on the same side. Things have started off well.

Look at these quotes from Monroe. He's a class act:

1. Eugene Monroe: 'I'm definitely appreciative for the Ravens having faith in my ability to play at a high level.'

Expand

2. Eugene Monroe 'I talked to Ozzie Newsome frequently through the year. He said, 'We'll make sure it works and be a great deal for both sides'

Expand

3. Eugene Monroe:'It's a win all-around in every aspect for me, proximity to my family in New Jersey and my wife and her side of the family.'

Expand

4. Eugene Monroe told me: 'It's a great deal for both sides. I'm excited, man. I was confident it would work out. I was never concerned.'

Thanks for all the quotes Money....it definitively is what I want to hear. It restores my faith in the Front Office about them having a plan and being aggressive....and smart.

So true....it could have been real ugly...

To put it in perspective, you have to think of what the Ravens would have done if they didn't sign Monroe. They would've had to re-sign Michael Oher to play left tackle or pick up a second-tier left tackle like Anthony Collins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/7347/ravens-catch-break-in-keeping-monroe

His guaranteed money is definitely in line with what I thought. With Clady's deal last year (5yrs / $52.5mil) only $15mil was guaranteed. Monroe got $19mil guaranteed (slightly more than half the contract). I am 100% confident that he will be worth every penny.

7.5 per yr is more like it.....Now if we can get my boy DS signed....Oh and don't worry about eating crow, we've all ate that up long ago...lol

This was a class organization and class player working together to come to an agreement that both sides are extremely happy with. There was no "leverage" taken away from Monroe and Monroe did not short himself. Half of Monroe's contract is guaranteed money. He ranks 7th of all LTs in guaranteed money. Both the Ravens (Ozzie) and Monroe deserve a lot of credit for getting this done. Monroe was never truly on the market and the Ravens were never truly shopping anywhere else. Both sides have said how committed they were to get this done.

I get why people want to make this another genius move by Ozzie (and it was), but I don't get why people want to make Monroe out to be some stupid chump who was manipulated and fooled by smarter people. Monroe is a class act all the way and is by far the best thing we've had at LT since Ogden. Monroe placed an emphasis on the benefits to his family, the desire to play for a winning organization (who can blame him after his Jags stint) and the security that comes with this contract. Those values should be applauded, not ridiculed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/report-gap-remains-between-ravens-and-eugene-monroe/

Report: Sizable gap remains between Ravens and Eugene Monroe

The Ravens passed on the chance to use their franchise tag on left tackle Eugene Monroe on Monday although they were reportedly far apart in negotiations on a long-term deal.

Several days have passed, but things don’t appear to have changed much at all. Matt Zenitz of the Carroll County Times reports that Monroe is looking for a deal that pays him $10 million in average salary with the Ravens seeking a deal that would pay him $8 or 9 million a year. As a result, Monroe’s expected to be on the market when free agency opens on Tuesday.

That doesn’t rule out a return to Baltimore, although Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun doesn’t think Monroe will be back because of the divide in desired contracts and the amount of teams looking for a left tackle in free agency.

The Dolphins are believed to have Monroe high on their list of free agent targets, although there should be no shortage of choices at the position with Branden Albert and Jared Veldheer also on track for the open market. That would work well for the Ravens too as they’ll need a new left tackle should Monroe move on.

I find it funny how something from just 5 days ago can be forgotten because of a few post netotiation spin comments. The Ravens are paying him less than they were budgeting for. Monroe is making $2.5 mil less than he was seaking.

papasmurfbell, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:snapback.png

You can't tag Monroe. He isn't that good.

Money, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

Really? He's a top-10 LT in the league. Who do they have that's better?

Who would you use the tag on?

You really had the pulse of the situation here too.

Monroe was quoted as saying no hometown discount, market value, blah blah blah... The wanting to play here/ class organization thing was said after he couldn't get better money elsewhere. Yes its a win-win, Monroe still gets $$$ and the Ravens keep their left side in tacked.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/report-gap-remains-between-ravens-and-eugene-monroe/

I find it funny how something from just 5 days ago can be forgotten because of a few post netotiation spin comments. The Ravens are paying him less than they were budgeting for. Monroe is making $2.5 mil less than he was seaking.

papasmurfbell, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:snapback.png

Money, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

You really had the pulse of the situation here too.

You have a huge inferiority complex.

Monroe was quoted as saying no hometown discount, market value, blah blah blah... The wanting to play here/ class organization thing was said after he couldn't get better money elsewhere. Yes its a win-win, Monroe still gets $$$ and the Ravens keep their left side in tacked.

You are quite right also. I could not find that quote though.