ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game thoughts

tsylvester

What an ugly game all around, yes, all around; offense, defense, special teams, coaching. No matter, it seems who is the coach, who the players are, playing in Indi seems to bring out the worst in the Ravens. Let us start with the offense first, which was quite offensive. It would have been nice if they could have established some rythem, kept the defense off the field, so it goes....

The line, wow, worst game of the season so far 4 sacks; especially left tackle, but not just the rookie, they all stunk. Sure, there was a good run or three, Flacco had a second or two here or there, but nothing consistant, to the left, to the right nor up the middle. Horrible line play. Zutta missed several calls, in pass protection and run blocking. Flacco rarely had time and even when he did, the pocket was rarely clean enough to step into throws.

The backs did a good job with what they had to work with (15 total rushes for 90 yards & a td, 6.0 average), but they too missed a few cut backs that were there, and some blitz pick ups.

The receivers- worst day as a group, easily. From kep drops to poor routes, all the way to not breaking free of press coverage. Yes, Flacco was off, yes, he had little, consistan time, but come on man, you have to help your line & your quarterback some days, either with fighting through coverage to get open or making the difficult catch. T Smith (8 targets 3 catches), as usual couldn't get open against press, only against a soft zone and once again had a drop or two. The last play of the game for the offense, yes, the pass was a tad, I mean a tad short, but if he had ben running at full speed the entire way the catch would have been there. Also, even with his half speed, know the situation, make the catch first, then try & be the hero by scoring the td; go up and get the pass.

Brown (2 targets 0 catches), Flacco does a great job breaking free, makes the best throw he can and instead of helping him out by laying out, he just tries to run to the ball, to also try & be a hero by scoring.... Smith Sr, nice fumble sir, not, I know, after the games he has had this season, his hands must be tired, he also had a drop today.

Flacco- He missed a number of reads today most obvious was the pick, wasn't his most accurate either. Frankly I am surprised he completed 57% of his passes.

The defense- what, you think they did nothing wrong, right? Great in the red zone (2 of 5 -40%), 1 of 4 on goal to goal, 25%. right? Only gave up two touchdowns, right? To one of the best offenses in the NFL, too boot. Well, you would be wrong.

Yes, they did great not yielding touchdowns on the short fields from the 3 turnovers by the offense & special teams. However, the Colts only punted 3 times, 3 punts, a total of 80 plays for the Colt offense, 80! one drive had 20 plays, 20 plays for one drive. The Colts held the ball for, 10:29 in the 1st quarter, 9:30 in the 2nd( just one drive), 10:54 in the 4th. Please feel free to stop the other team once in a while to help the offense get into a rythem. Numerous missed tackles, missed assignments, especially by our favorite safeties and a corner or two. No, forcing the fumble and recovering it at the end of the game does not make up for all those first downs they gave up.

Special teams- Only Jones, J, to mention here, I think it is time he sits down for a full game. One good catch & run at the end of the game to set upa score does not make up for his poor decision making in punt & kick off returns; fumble aside. He is not hitting the wedge quickly, returning kicks ina tight game especially, he has no business returning especially when, even I from my comfty recliner, can see there is no gap for him to get through, just down it, let the team get the ball at the 20.....

Coaching- Once again Harbs has some idiot in the boothe telling him to challange and...... he loses the obvious call. Not a big deal today, mattered not at that point, but this has been going on for 3 years now, fire that replay coach. Play calling was abismal. Having Smith sr on the outside instead of the slot made his work much harder. No crossing routes against a match up or even against the man zone to break some one free?

Watch other games, how BIG the field seems for their offenses, how open, wide open their recievers are, but not this team. Why? Yes, much of it is because of the receivers, none of them aside from Smith sr, has that quick twitch, but a large part if the play calling using their abilities to the best. I don't care that they won 3 in a row before this loss. This is the 3rd game in five where the offense has stunk.

Where is the very quick-fast receiver they traded up for? Oh that is right, he is not as quick as they thought, in fact, no quicker than the receivers they are currently using.

Better play calling, better play from the offense, the defense getting off the field once in a while, maybe even one less turnover, who knows. I do know, only 1 sack from the "dynamic duo" of Suggs (hurt) and Dummervil. Shoot, tight ends blocked them most of the game.......

Alas, another week, maybe a better team, maybe not, I am still not convinced this team will win more than 6 games nor that Kubs is the answer.

I was thinking the same thing on the Marlon Brown pass. Why didn't he lay out for it? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say his body wasn't in position but *shrug*. The newcomers (smith Sr and Daniels) seem to be the only ones making that extra effort. Jacoby has aligator armed it this season, torrey always seems to make half hearted efforts, and then you have marlon brown today.

Tsylv. pretty much said it all, however, I think our D showed alot more fortitude than he gave them credit for. Offense was pathetic with everyone to blame. It seemed like we were playing 8 men to their 13 men. Special teams was also a D, as in disastrous. Harbs seemed to have been quite content going into halftime. I think that may have been a mistake. There were also some questionable calls by Kubes. Finally, unlike Syl., we will win at least 10 games, possibly 11 this year. Their schedule is not that bad. My question-, concern is that the Ravens can't beat teams with good QB's. Our D can't get to him and our secondary can't cover. If I am grading this game, I give defense a c+, offense a D-, special teams a D, and coaching a D+.

I was thinking the same thing on the Marlon Brown pass. Why didn't he lay out for it? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say his body wasn't in position but *shrug*. The newcomers (smith Sr and Daniels) seem to be the only ones making that extra effort. Jacoby has aligator armed it this season, torrey always seems to make half hearted efforts, and then you have marlon brown today.

This season, so far, T Smith seems to be slower for some reason. I am not sure if he has lost his speed or his confidence in the routes, but he is not running at full speed or at least not able to kick it into another gear. This has been an issue with Flacco and his passes to Smith; timing is off. It appears to me he expects the speed from Torrey and it just isn't there. Contract year, he may be playing for a roster spot, let a lone a pay day.

Tsylv. pretty much said it all, however, I think our D showed alot more fortitude than he gave them credit for. Offense was pathetic with everyone to blame. It seemed like we were playing 8 men to their 13 men. Special teams was also a D, as in disastrous. Harbs seemed to have been quite content going into halftime. I think that may have been a mistake. There were also some questionable calls by Kubes. Finally, unlike Syl., we will win at least 10 games, possibly 11 this year. Their schedule is not that bad. My question-, concern is that the Ravens can't beat teams with good QB's. Our D can't get to him and our secondary can't cover. If I am grading this game, I give defense a c+, offense a D-, special teams a D, and coaching a D+.

The key is protecting Flacco. We protect Flacco and we have an offense. If we don't protect Flacco we have that steaming pile of shit we saw out there today. Once Flacco started anticipating pressure he morphed back into the 2013 model - inaccurate with happy feet.

This season, so far, T Smith seems to be slower for some reason. I am not sure if he has lost his speed or his confidence in the routes, but he is not running at full speed or at least not able to kick it into another gear. This has been an issue with Flacco and his passes to Smith; timing is off. It appears to me he expects the speed from Torrey and it just isn't there. Contract year, he may be playing for a roster spot, let a lone a pay day.

Something is up with him that's for sure. His demanor has sucked this year. I'm not sure how much to read into that but he always seems to have slumped shoulders and a frown on his face.

All they had to do was start the game running the ball. That would have slowed the pass rush, kept the O on the field, moved the chains....6.0 yards per carry!

But only 15 carries.

The pass happy attack doesn't work without the run.

Why is it our D defends like their life depends on it when the opposition reaches the redzone but plays scared of the big play everywhere else on the field? I would quite happily give up the odd big play now and again if it meant more 3 and outs. As usual, Pees 3rd down defense sucks balls. We can look good on 1st and 2nd down and then come 3rd down we look so vanilla. An overload blitz once in a while would sure look nice. How about lining Suggs and Doom up on the same side once in a while? Show some variety and try and confuse the O-Line. Did I say I miss Pags D? I liked what I was seeing from the Colts D and wish we still had that instead of this play to not lose crap we see every week.

Why is it our D defends like their life depends on it when the opposition reaches the redzone but plays scared of the big play everywhere else on the field? I would quite happily give up the odd big play now and again if it meant more 3 and outs. As usual, Pees 3rd down defense sucks balls. We can look good on 1st and 2nd down and then come 3rd down we look so vanilla. An overload blitz once in a while would sure look nice. How about lining Suggs and Doom up on the same side once in a while? Show some variety and try and confuse the O-Line. Did I say I miss Pags D? I liked what I was seeing from the Colts D and wish we still had that instead of this play to not lose crap we see every week.

I am hoping they let Pees go and bring Rex back when he gets canned in NY. Side note, I did not see it on the injury report, but I saw Hurst a bit gimpy all game. If his leg was bothering, maybe that explains his getting mualed in pass protection; his best attribute normally.

Pees D lacks any aggression. I'd love to see Sexy Rexy back and get some swagger back to the D. Mosley will be a force in the future but the secondary needs a General. Lets hope they use a #1 or #2 next year on a true FS.

On offense I think Pags knew Kubs offense all too well. No defenders bit on the Play Action since they weren't running. Play calling was terrible. Why do recievers in an empty backfield on 3rd and 4 run 3 yard routes?

I'm still pissed at Harbaugh not taking the 3 when it was 3-0 Colts. The Ravens had an 80 yard drive, then on 3rd and 1 at the goal line, they couldn't punch it in.

OK JOHN...the O had their chance, take the 3 and something positive instead of NOTHING! for their work but humiliation at not being able to score on 4th and 1.

The Colts build momentum and swager.

Ravens look weak.

I'm not ready to throw Hurst under the bus just yet. He's an undrafted rookie playing in his second game. Wagner sat for a year before he started and that really did him some good. Like has been suggested, I think KO's gimpy knee made it harder for him to help him too.

Pags was the best DC we ever had; even better than Rex. I've been disgusted watching how UN-intimidating our defense is under Pees. They play bend don't break and stay on the field too long. Having said that I will say the D wasn't the reason we lost yesterday. If you had told me a week ago we'd limit the Colts to 20 points I'd have expected a good day for the Ravens.

I am hoping they let Pees go and bring Rex back when he gets canned in NY. Side note, I did not see it on the injury report, but I saw Hurst a bit gimpy all game. If his leg was bothering, maybe that explains his getting mualed in pass protection; his best attribute normally.

I'm still pissed at Harbaugh not taking the 3 when it was 3-0 Colts. The Ravens had an 80 yard drive, then on 3rd and 1 at the goal line, they couldn't punch it in.

OK JOHN...the O had their chance, take the 3 and something positive instead of NOTHING! for their work but humiliation at not being able to score on 4th and 1.

Ravens look weak.

Me too. I couldn't believe what he was doing. We needed to put points on the board. Instead we proved we STILL can't gain a freaking yard for a first down.

I agree with the 4th and and 1 on the 3 yard line. Be aggressive, go for it. It's just one freakin' yard. But for some reason, Kubes elects to throw it. Bad decision.

Yeah I agree. I liked the aggressive call but hated the play call. It wasn't even a yard. Stick Joe behind Zuttah and Yanda or KO and sneak for it. Or go Jumbo and run your 230lb wrecking ball at RB.

Playaction pass did not work all game. The Colts played it perfectly. They accepted we were going to get some yards running but they weren't going to let playaction kill them. They had a pass rusher head straight for Joe everytime and they didn't bite once. We even ran a delayed handoff play a few times and the rusher just ignored the RB and went for Joe. That should have been all we needed to see to know that Playaction wasn't going to work and we should have went to plan B.

Ravens look weak.

Me too, you don't do that crap on the road, if we're at the ATM by all means go for it.

So we leave 3 points from that drive, we get a penalty called on us on a fg that hasn't been called since before every player on the field was born, so there's 4 points. Jeeeesh we could have been in this game.

Ravens look weak.

I am all for going for it. I hate the play. Why are you having Joe give up more distance than is needed?

I'm not ready to throw Hurst under the bus just yet. He's an undrafted rookie playing in his second game. Wagner sat for a year before he started and that really did him some good. Like has been suggested, I think KO's gimpy knee made it harder for him to help him too.

Pags was the best DC we ever had; even better than Rex. I've been disgusted watching how UN-intimidating our defense is under Pees. They play bend don't break and stay on the field too long. Having said that I will say the D wasn't the reason we lost yesterday. If you had told me a week ago we'd limit the Colts to 20 points I'd have expected a good day for the Ravens.

Me too. I couldn't believe what he was doing. We needed to put points on the board. Instead we proved we STILL can't gain a freaking yard for a first down.

I don't think Pees has all the horses to be more aggressive.

Yeah I agree. I liked the aggressive call but hated the play call. It wasn't even a yard. Stick Joe behind Zuttah and Yanda or KO and sneak for it. Or go Jumbo and run your 230lb wrecking ball at RB.

Playaction pass did not work all game. The Colts played it perfectly. They accepted we were going to get some yards running but they weren't going to let playaction kill them. They had a pass rusher head straight for Joe everytime and they didn't bite once. We even ran a delayed handoff play a few times and the rusher just ignored the RB and went for Joe. That should have been all we needed to see to know that Playaction wasn't going to work and we should have went to plan B.

100% agree.

Just for the record, They'll go to Tampa and thump them good.

Yeah, like the way we thumped Cleveland and were supposed to thump Indy yesterday.

While we are all just fans, its that kind of thinking that drives me crazy at times.

Now, on to Tampa. Last I checked, the Bucs led NO in their house before blowing a late game lead and losing in OT. They beat the Steelers at Heinz,

and then lost squeakers to Carolina and St. Louis. They have an NFL roster and are capable of beating anyone, including us, quite easily.

As I recall, we eked out a late 4th quarter drive/comeback win in Cleveland and easily could be 2-3, instead of 3-2. The 2014 Ravens are a grind it out, inconsistent team with

no offensive identity and a 'bend don't break' defense with a work in progress secondary.

The point - this team will continue to grind it out every week, especially against the so-called "little sisters of the poor" like Tampa. They'll be written off by everyone and desperate

like New England (before Monday nights game) and we saw how that one worked out.

Tampa will play like its their SB and maybe we will/maybe we wont show up on Sunday. Either way, look for a grind it out ball game and late game heroics by the victor- whoever that might be.

Varaven- I disagree with you badly. Ravens seldom lose 2 in a row. Tampa has lost to 4 bad teams. Bad teams, including New Orleans. What does that say about Tampa? They are not a good team. Ravens on the other hand, just lost by 7 to a good team on their field. Like Terrell said, it's not the end of the world. As a fan, I would prefer to think of the glass as half full, unlike you. Actually, it's your kind of thinking that drives me crazy at times.