ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Pass D on pace to be franchises worst

cravnravn

The pass defense is in freefall and some of the blame falls on Ozzie. This past summer we moved Elam from FS to SS and brought in Darrian Stewart as the FS, a position for which he isn't suited (in fact, he doesn't play that well anywhere). We let Corey Brown go because of the cap but really didn't have a replacement.

Now in his defense, it's hard to say this is the main cause. Injuries killed us and the depth is not there. Either Webb is still hurting from his back or his ability has just deteriorated. Losing Jimmy was the clincher. Most of the guys playing in the secondary for us are just names to fill positions; talent is piss poor.

But more times than not they don't break. It doesn't work every time. As good as Revis or Sherman are they do give up TD's sometimes.

They're not breaking that much (any more) but bend don't break keeps the defense on the field too long in the game. How many leads have we let get away because we couldn't end the game with a rested defense?

In four games since cornerback Jimmy Smith went down with what turned out to be a season-ending foot injury, the Ravens have allowed 13 touchdown passes and 1,239 passing yards. It validates the prevailing belief when he was injured that other than quarterback Joe Flacco, Smith was the player who the Ravens could least afford to lose. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-news-and-notes-20141202-story.html

When the Chargers got the ball with 2;20 left I texted my son, "We lost".

Giving up leads in the 4th quarter is the worst way to lose.

Max, I felt the same way after we "settled" for the FG right after Jacoby's return. If we score a TD or just get 1 more 1st down then it would have been game over. That seems to have summed up the season so far.

What bothers me most was Harb's willingness to run a fake field goal only to back out of it and waste a time out. If you are going to go for it then, and clearly a touchdown was needed, then after the time out, bring the offense back out,