ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Now that Kubes is gone ....

varaven45

They're not getting caught with their pants down. They have a plan

and interviewed Gase tonight but he was supposed to be a hot

candidate for a HC job and had a couple of interviews but didnt get

a job.

Not sure why Mike would go for a coord position.

I don't know much about Trestman, but I hear he is a highly respected offensive mind. His offense was very balanced, his RB had over 100 receptions, tight end had 90 receptions, and Trestman utilized his two big receivers. Hopefully Trestman would push for a big number one receiver here. I don't think he should be faulted for having a boneheaded QB.

With Gase and Knapp, unproven candidates scare me. I like having a presence of a former head coach calling plays. Kubiak had that confidence, I think Trestman has that as well.

Do we want Gase? Yeah he's hot right now but how much of that was Peyton? This reminds me of Caldwell. Regardless of whos coaching I hope Oz dedicates at least 2 of the 3 top picks we have to offense. I'd love a WR, and TE, or maybe a TE in the second and a back in the third. For this offense to flourish it needs talent.

I wouldn't mind either. I think Trestman may be the safer choice. Has more experience running offenses. Gase could just be a flash in the pan. That being said maybe Gase being younger may have new ideas and is fresher. Gase may also be wanting to jump ship since he's the hot item at the moment.

Hey who was it that were the final 2 candidates for OC last Jan. Then out of the blue they were out and Kubes was in. I am trying to remember.

Kirby Wilson (former Steelers RB coach now the RB coach for the Vikings) was interviewed, I don't think he was a serious contender. It was down to Jim Hostler, Ravens old WR coach, and Kyle Shanahan. Then the Ravens brought in Dennison who told Harbaugh that Kubiak would be interested in the job.

This guy is scaring me since he never seems to stay in one spot given so many praises I've heard about him. Time will tell. I"m looking forward to the draft. Oz can go out and get us a WR and TE and the offense will be fine IMO. I hope we don't throw too much money Forsetts way.

And Trestman stated he is running the 'Ravens' offense, not his...should be interesting...

This is actually starting to make sense with Harbaugh's overall vision. When Harbaugh was hired back in 2008 we all thought he was going to bring Pat Shumur with him and install the Eagles, WCO with the zone blocking system. Harbaugh, as a new coach himself, went with an experienced OC in Cameron instead of Shumur who was only a QB coach at the time.

When Harbaugh hired Juan Castillo as offensive line coach it was clear his intention was to have this zone scheme. Kubiak ran a WCO, but a different type than the Eagles version. After a real rough 2013 where Juan Castillo got unfairly hammered, we started to see the successful transition this past season.

Now we have Trestman, who's experienced in the WCO. Not quite Kubiak's version, but not quite Andy Reid's version. Moreso what we saw from the Raiders when he was coaching Rich Gannon.

Sure, he's pass happy, but look at the receiving numbers for Charlie Garner from 2001-2003, and look at Matt Forte's receiving numbers the past couple of seasons. How about Brian Westbrook in the WCO? It's touches for the running back regardless. The Ravens were successful in the playoffs this season because they were aggressive and smart with the run. They didn't try and run into a brick wall, but we're strategic with the run resulting in a high YPC. I would expect Trestman to build upon this, and if that means more receptions for the RB then so be it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a running back with receiving skills high in the draft. David Johnson from Northern Iowa and Trey Coleman from Indiana are names to watch.

Now with the Mornhinweg hire Harbaugh has come full circle with his vision. He has the type of staff in place where he can run that Eagles, Andy Reid WCO.

And Trestman stated he is running the 'Ravens' offense, not his...should be interesting...

Glad to hear that. I was worried he'd turn into a passing maniac with Joe and neglect the play action that Joe is so good with. Also heard he runs the offense mostly from the shotgun and we've been down that road too without a lot of success.

So am quite happy that he's going to run the 'Ravens' offense. Hope it works out that way.

Edit: sounds like it just might work out: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Offense-Not-Changing-Under-Marc-Trestman/19f242c0-5c46-4b0b-90b0-247f3a4b2fce