ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Torrey Smith

Robjr83

At this point I would rather keep that money to invest elsewhere in the team and just take a shot on a couple of WRs in the draft and/or develop Aiken/Brown/Butler/Camp. With his play this year I wouldn't offer anything more than 5 years 30m with 15 guaranteed. Maybe offer an extra $5m in incentives?

My guess is that they let him test the market.

I would like to have him back but only at the right price.

He is the only receiver the Ravens have who can stretch the field and who defenses have to back off and respect. That is a huge help to the offense. Snooze and you get burned.

Plus, Torry is a high character man.

At this point I would rather keep that money to invest elsewhere in the team and just take a shot on a couple of WRs in the draft and/or develop Aiken/Brown/Butler/Camp. With his play this year I wouldn't offer anything more than 5 years 30m with 15 guaranteed. Maybe offer an extra $5m in incentives?

Agreed. I wouln't pass $5mil per.

If he didn't sign on the dotted line back in the Fall, he isn't going to now. I think we saw Torrey's last game as a Raven in New England last month. Been nice knowing you Torrey and wish you well.

Yep. Some team will overpay him and he'll take it.

Yep. Some team will overpay him and he'll take it.

I'm not sure who will. Dez Bryant- 88, 1,320, 16 tds, D Thomas, 11, 1,619, 11 tds, Randall Cobb, 91, 1,287, 12 and Jeremy Maclin 95, 1,318, 10 tds.

Compared to Smith, 49, 767, 11 tds. Yes his tds are nice especially the ratio to catches, his 30 tds in his short career also very good. But his deficiencies are glaring. We've talked about them over & over here, far out weigh his production and the key, those are the same issues he had coming out of college.

I agree with this.....

...be to be careful what you wish for. Now, don’t misunderstand – I don’t think the Ravens should overpay for Smith, who is not a No. 1 wide receiver. But as my buddy Luke Jones wrote yesterday for WNST.net, it would be foolish to think the Ravens could easily and immediately replace Smith with a rookie or another free agent.

Smith had his issues this past season, but he’s still a guy who the opposition game plans for, who puts a ton of pressure on the back end of defenses and who makes big plays and draws big penalties. My sense is there’s a fair deal to be made and both sides want it to happen.

However, Smith isn’t going to come cheap, nor should he. When you get past Dallas’ Dez Bryant and Denver’s Demaryius Thomas, who both could get the franchise tag from their respective teams, Smith is part of that second tier of free-agent receivers that includes Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin. Smith is going to get paid by someone. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-news-and-notes-20150204-story.html

Would you rather re-sign Torrey, who is likely to command big money, or sign Brandon Marshall for a more affordable 3-4 year deal?

Either way we are going to have to draft a guy high.

Marshall is still under contract right? I worry about him being a head case and team cancer.

Just reading a few articles in the tribune, I'd say no, we don't need him and his distractions.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-brandon-marshall-biggs-bears-spt-0204-20150203-story.html

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/brandon-marshall-may-be-making-bears-coaches-decision-them

Seems he holds grudges against former teams, we play Miami and Denver this year,