ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

WR status

varaven45

With our WR situation and Perrimans precarious status, is our FO checking out available FAs? This is not a sky is falling question, but wondering about our contingency plan for Perriman. With our current crop, the passing game looks pretty hopeless. There are a coupe of guys we could be kicking the tires on - Wayne, Nicks, etc.

If exactly, great post = no contingency plan for Perriman, then gird yourself for more of the same offensive performances in the next 4-8 weeks.

This offense has 0 vertical threats and wont until October and, even then, may take this guy the equivalent of camp and pre season to get into NFL playing shape (November).

I suppose an experienced pair of hands isn't worth a look-see. Even our reigning SB champs, with their receiving weapons, investigate their options.

If exactly, great post = no contingency plan for Perriman, then gird yourself for more of the same offensive performances in the next 4-8 weeks.

This offense has 0 vertical threats and wont until October and, even then, may take this guy the equivalent of camp and pre season to get into NFL playing shape (November).

I suppose an experienced pair of hands isn't worth a look-see. Even our reigning SB champs, with their receiving weapons, investigate their options.

I disagree and think it is a tad bit early. Yes, there is no true deep threat. However, play design can get players deep and open.

AS has been said many, many times since the game, the receivers were not the issue Sunday, it was the offensive line. We can expect that not to remain to be the fact since they have played together for a full season and did a pretty darn good job last year. This means that the pass protection should be better which means Tresman can use formations and route trees to get receivers open, at least in a one on one senario. We saw it in preseason, least we forget.

Denver's secondary is in the top half yes, not the best, they only looked really, really good because of their pass rush.

If you look at the coaches tape, receivers did get open down field, unfortunately, Joe was already on the ground or having his arm hit at the time.

I would be shocked if the front office made a move, there just isn't anyone out there.

Exactly. Great post.

I disagree and think it is a tad bit early. Yes, there is no true deep threat. However, play design can get players deep and open.

AS has been said many, many times since the game, the receivers were not the issue Sunday, it was the offensive line. We can expect that not to remain to be the fact since they have played together for a full season and did a pretty darn good job last year. This means that the pass protection should be better which means Tresman can use formations and route trees to get receivers open, at least in a one on one senario. We saw it in preseason, least we forget.

Denver's secondary is in the top half yes, not the best, they only looked really, really good because of their pass rush.

If you look at the coaches tape, receivers did get open down field, unfortunately, Joe was already on the ground or having his arm hit at the time.

I would be shocked if the front office made a move, there just isn't anyone out there.

I don't see Marlon or Aiken stepping up this year except maybe vs the poor teams like OAK this week.

I don't see Marlon or Aiken stepping up this year except maybe vs the poor teams like OAK this week.

Brown had 49 receptions his rookie year, 7 of them for touchdowns.

Aiken had 24 last year, his first real season of regular play, 3 for touchdowns.

Yes, both are posession receivers, but that is all they really need right now to move the chains. Paired with Smith sr, Camp, the tight ends and backs, and if the line gets back in business, that i plenty.

I guess you forgot about the deep pass to Camp in preseason, where neither Smith sr nor Perriman were involved, right? He was wide open because of play design.

Speed is nice, but not mandatory to win or be a successful offense. They should suffice until Perriman gets healthy. Even then, depeding on a rookie is kind of foolish, isn't it?

Time will tell about the WR corps. Maybe Aiken, Campanoro, Brown and Perriman (a few months down the road) will collectively all step up.

In the meantime, our rushing attack and TEs - Gilmore and Max - and HB - Juscyk (sp?) may be the most viable element in our offense as our WR corps begins to gel.

The offense needs to play to its strength and the latter may be our best short term option.

Brown had 49 receptions his rookie year, 7 of them for touchdowns.

Aiken had 24 last year, his first real season of regular play, 3 for touchdowns.

Yes, both are posession receivers, but that is all they really need right now to move the chains. Paired with Smith sr, Camp, the tight ends and backs, and if the line gets back in business, that i plenty.

I guess you forgot about the deep pass to Camp in preseason, where neither Smith sr nor Perriman were involved, right? He was wide open because of play design.

Speed is nice, but not mandatory to win or be a successful offense. They should suffice until Perriman gets healthy. Even then, depeding on a rookie is kind of foolish, isn't it?

That was pre-season and where was Campy on Sunday when it counts - hmmmmm?

Marlon hasn't done anything since his rookie phenom year. Aiken caught a TD in NE but didn't

step up Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

They need to use Camp more, from the slot, drag routes after the tight end runs the seems. His quickness and good hands are much needed since neither Aiken nore Brown can get any seperation in time with the pocket being clean. Since they can't run the ball, 36 yards total this past game, the short passing game has to be the running game.....

The Bears are having a bit of a sell off, I wonder if they would move Jeffries........ Oh one could dream.........

It would most likely be a one-year rental as he is a UFA next year. I would be in favor of it if they beat the Steelers Thurs night. Give him 10 days to get ready for the Browns.

Wes Welker is interviewing with the Giants today, he would be a nice addition for a few games.............

Green Bay proved last night you don't need a deep threat to have success, Rogers passes were 90% five yards or less, catch & run.

The Ravens have tried to help the line out and even the wide outs out by Joe taking five step drops for a normal three step route. The extra steps give the receivers that extra second or two to get off the line and complete their routes before the line fails and Joe gets nailed.

This offense just needs some one to get open sooner, some one other than Steve Smith. Why they keep going away from the tight ends puzzles me. Why they run simple routes, easy to decipher puzzles me. Shoot, Green Bay ran the same play at the goal line 3 times in a rwo and all ended up with a touchdown. Why? Because of quickness & play design.

The Ravens have no plays designed to get a match up or to get some one open; very few clear out routes, too many times having two receivers with in five yards of each other and usually when there is a short pass designed for catch & run. So either the receiver is running the wrong route ona particular play or the play design stinks.... Likely a combination of the two.

I keep hearing how Tressman is a great OC, great offensive mind, yet the route combinations do not back up those words.

Clearly our issue initially was the revolving door of terrible QB's and since Flacco entered we have seen improvement in our rankings. But it still seems we have a ways to go when Justin Forsett, last years leader in Y-P-Carries was just graded by PFF as the worst RB in the NFL for week 3. The lack of run commitment has been mind boggling. You cannot run the ball 10 times and expect Forsett to be productive. Even in Ray Rice and Jamal Lewis' prime of their careers it was always the same recipe for success. You run the ball 20 times for 2 and 3 yards and then boom a 50 yarder. You cant just expect a home run every time he touches it and then abandon when it doesn't happen.