ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2016 Draft

oldno82

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEBRONSON KAUFUSI OVERVIEW
This two-sport athlete experimented on the hardwood in 2012-13 before turning his full attention to the gridiron. The two-time first-team All-Independent pick had 15.5 career sacks entering the 2015 season, and added 11 more in an outstanding senior campaign while making 20 tackles for loss. Kaufusis size and athleticism have allowed Cougars coaches (of whom his father, Steve, is one) to play him standing up or hand-down during his career. NFL teams will have to decide where he fits best in their system.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Has an honest father as a coach who has been up front about Bronsons weaknesses and what he needed to work on. Plays with the motor expected from a coachs son. Quality hand work and is able to redirect with them. Good back­side presence in running game and charges hard down the line of scrimmage. Comes out of his stance and into his pass rush with good pad level and forward lean. Never quits on plays and will pursue way down the field. Has a long frame that may be able to carry more muscle. Posted productive totals in most categories. Blocked a field goal and punt in 2015.

WEAKNESSES Too easily caved in and washed down when blocked on angles. Tries to bend but pad level still ends up higher than he would like thanks to his height. Play strength is an area of concern. Thin legs lose their base when he is redirected with power. Tight-­hipped pass rusher that has a prolonged corner turn to the quarterback -- even on wins. Much of sack production came on extended plays or with effort over skill. Unable to generate consistent penetration when slanting into gaps. In 2014, lost weight and attempted to play outside linebacker but experiment was a failure.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US "Everyone has been on him for so long that it's kinda anticlimactic now. Someone will take him higher than they should when he tests out at the combine." -- NFC scouting director

NFL COMPARISON Denico Autry

BOTTOM LINE Developing talent who flashes enough on tape to believe that some of his production could translate to the NFL. His lack of mass and functional strength could create consistency issues for him early in his career.

My feeling about the Ravens' draft so far can be summed up in 3 letters..... WTF?

I like the Kaufusi pick, good value there,not sure he has any more potential to improve, may just be a role player and, ok, we need them.... But taking him right after they took essentially the same type player has me shaking my head. For them to say they take the "best on their board" and no on need is laughable. Seems to me there could have, should have been a corner or safety rated just head of either of those two on their board and they tried to get "cheap" by getting them lower only to lose out on them.

PFF loves the Kaufusi pick gave us an A. His skill set and production is very intriguing. Coming from BYU he's already 24 years-old. Being a little more physically mature he should be able to contribute right away in the right sets.

Kaufusi is my favorite pick by far. I am warming up to Stanley. Still skeptical on his potential warranting the sixth pick. I don't like the Correa pick. Seems very raw. Typical Ravens second rounder choosing a good potential, high risk player. Would have liked to see a more polished player.

Yeah, Kaufusi has a high motor, great rush moves and those long arms should play a role in knocking down passes. Like you, not thrilled with Correa, he has never been asked to cover, seems stiff and did not even dominate the sub par teams he played against. Special teams player for a few years then flipping burgers some where....

Pick 104 Ravens select Tavon Young cb Temple

Not sure about him, there is of course potential, but jeepers I find it difficult to believe he was tops on their board at this point.

:nono:

Max, they came into this draft needing a difference maker on defense. There were a number of them in the draft and yes there are one or two sleepers left.

However, they drafted at most role players, nothing that will, at this point, improve a terrible defense.

The wide out chosen only has one play on the route tree, the 9 or go route. But he does not have NFL deep speed. He was a product of a spread offense with faster teammates.... I don't know what they are doing..

I like the Young pick. At this point you're either getting a physical talent that is raw or a guy lacking a physical tool (height) but has talent. Young has playmaking skills. He may never be anything more than a slot corner but that has great value in the league today.

As far as the Moore pick: I love Moore as a talent. I'm not worried about the 40 time. However, he is raw as a route runner. We have a terrible track record of developing receivers. If Moore went to the Steelers, Saints or Pats, he would likely become a good player. I doubt our ability to develop a player like Moore.

I think of Demetrius Williams when I see Moore. Lots of downfield talent but will he ever develop with us?

I would have preferred a polished player like Pharoh Cooper. Cooper is an average athlete but has outstanding FBI and production against top competition with crappy QBs throwing him the ball.

I like the Young pick. At this point you're either getting a physical talent that is raw or a guy lacking a physical tool (height) but has talent. Young has playmaking skills. He may never be anything more than a slot corner but that has great value in the league today.

As far as the Moore pick: I love Moore as a talent. I'm not worried about the 40 time. However, he is raw as a route runner. We have a terrible track record of developing receivers. If Moore went to the Steelers, Saints or Pats, he would likely become a good player. I doubt our ability to develop a player like Moore.

I think of Demetrius Williams when I see Moore. Lots of downfield talent but will he ever develop with us?

I would have preferred a polished player like Pharoh Cooper. Cooper is an average athlete but has outstanding FBI and production against top competition with crappy QBs throwing him the ball.

Stiff hips, takes a while to get into his top gear, fast not quick (he plays faster than times) doesn't get off of bump coverage well, often losing his balance...

We have 3 wide outs on the team just like him.

Stiff hips, takes a while to get into his top gear, fast not quick (he plays faster than times) doesn't get off of bump coverage well, often losing his balance...

We have 3 wide outs on the team just like him.

Getting off the press is definitely a question mark. However, he has the tools to develop (long arms and good short shuttle time). Needs to add strength. I like his ability to track the deep ball and attack the ball at its high point. Hands are bad, appears to make the tough catches but drops the easy ones.

It's not the talent, it's the coaching I'm concerned about. We haven't developed a receiver yet that can get off the press, which doesn't bode well for Moore's development.

Getting off the press is definitely a question mark. However, he has the tools to develop (long arms and good short shuttle time). Needs to add strength. I like his ability to track the deep ball and attack the ball at its high point. Hands are bad, appears to make the tough catches but drops the easy ones.

It's not the talent, it's the coaching I'm concerned about. We haven't developed a receiver yet that can get off the press, which doesn't bode well for Moore's development.

Right on! This is why Cooper should have been the pick, he is ready to roll and can get deep.

Right on! This is why Cooper should have been the pick, he is ready to roll and can get deep.

Yeah I just don't see how we had Moore rated higher than Cooper. Character seems to be heavily weighted in our BPA grade nowadays. No one has a higher character grade than Cooper. I would have sworn he'd be a red star player or whatever Vince Newsome calls it. I think we'll regret passing Cooper. Great pick for the Rams.