ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2016 Draft

oldno82

Yea....that's fair.

Maybe you take Jack if you feel that you're on the cusp of getting to the Super Bowl. Maybe he has 2 good years and then you're back to square one. Remember Clowney?

Maybe they take Tunsil if Stanley is gone.

What we know is Ramsey, Elliot and Bosa were gone. Ravens fans wouldn't be moaning about this draft if they got Ramsey or Bosa. Don't blame Ozzie for what was out of reach.

RAVENS HAD AN EXCEPTIONAL DRAFT

Baltimore took advantage of its great positioning in the draft, hitting a major need early. But Mel Kiper Jr. was just as impressed with the Ravens' ability to move down the board and find a ton of value. NFL draft grades (Insider)

2h

RAVENS' BEST: THE ENTIRE FOURTH ROUND

Baltimore drafted five players in the round, and all five might end up being contributors. GM Ozzie Newsome might have produced the single-best fourth round in recent memory. Todd McShay (Insider)

8h

Ravens receive an 'A' in Mel Kiper Jr.'s 2016 draft grades

The Ravens had one of their strongest NFL drafts in years, but it wasn't perfect.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess we wait until camp to see if everyone is right or wrong. Obviously, you guys think the team crapped the bed.

I don't think the team "crapped the bed" given what was going on in front of them and what they thought would be going on behind them i give them an overall grade of B+. Unlike some of the guys on here i'm not going to regurgitate an analysis that someone else has made and then come on here and try to pass it off as my own. Any pick can be second guessed from #1 to #300 , you can find fault in any player you want and you can find the the positives in any player, so for the people on here that are being negative about every pick, i say, get off of the couch and get yourself a woman maybe you wouldn't be so uptight , or rub one out if you have to.

Thanks Max for pointing out the obvious. I think I'll rely on the opinion of the guys who do this business full time, rather than the opinion of some fucking pinheads, who just love to hate.

I don't regurgitate things I hear and pass them off as my own. I actually watch games and know what to look for in players; I learned how to from some of the best.

I give my honest opinion, sometimes right, sometimes wrong and as with any draft, always with the caveat of; it is early.

Mel and McShay use the value to mean ; contributors. The Browns have a team filled with contributors, how has that workes out?

This team is filled already with contributors, that is why they were picking 6th. Ozzie has missed on many, many of the past draft picks, again, thus why they picked 6th.

I like, as I said, a few of the picks, but several make no sense from any stand point as I said above.

So yes, on a discussion board, we will discuss the issues with players and question decisions; that is what a discussion board does.

If you want to insult others because of their opinion, maybe you should get off the couch, go to the library and learn about the game. Then watch players, not the ball, see exactly what, how and why they made or missed a play.

Instead of regurgitating what the "experts" say about a player as to why a draft pick was right or wrong.

A player who turns the ball over in college almost always has the same issues in the pros. They drafed two players who fumble.

There's a lot of fans like me who know little about these players, so I'm going to keep putting up all the information I can.

yea...this is a discussion board, so it's cool to state your opinion, positive or negative. I like hearing both sides of a discussion.

I don't regurgitate things I hear and pass them off as my own. I actually watch games and know what to look for in players; I learned how to from some of the best.

I give my honest opinion, sometimes right, sometimes wrong and as with any draft, always with the caveat of; it is early.

Mel and McShay use the value to mean ; contributors. The Browns have a team filled with contributors, how has that workes out?

This team is filled already with contributors, that is why they were picking 6th. Ozzie has missed on many, many of the past draft picks, again, thus why they picked 6th.

I like, as I said, a few of the picks, but several make no sense from any stand point as I said above.

So yes, on a discussion board, we will discuss the issues with players and question decisions; that is what a discussion board does.

If you want to insult others because of their opinion, maybe you should get off the couch, go to the library and learn about the game. Then watch players, not the ball, see exactly what, how and why they made or missed a play.

Instead of regurgitating what the "experts" say about a player as to why a draft pick was right or wrong.

A player who turns the ball over in college almost always has the same issues in the pros. They drafed two players who fumble.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to evaluate players. If you have an experienced eye, know what to look for, have looked at the tape, that is great. I am from the new school of saber metrics: advanced stats, information, trends, numbers, etc.. Maybe that is because I am in finance and my strength is in numbers and picking up trends. This is why I rely on PFF. I have also read Pat Kirwan's "Take Your Eye Off The Ball" and try to incorporate that into my evaluation when I watch football.

Technology is much better than it was twenty, fifteen, ten years ago. We have much more information that SHOULD go into player evaluations than simply the eye test. It would be foolish not to consider saber metrics.

The bottom line is there are 32 GMs, each of them has learned from the best and knows what to look for. If there was a tried and true way of evaluating players, no one would be fired. We know this isn't true.

There is nothing wrong with collecting opinions of what other people post. No one here is passing those opinions off as their own. They are sharing the information, trying to pick up trends, reinforcing with the eye ball test when available and appropriate.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to evaluate players. If you have an experienced eye, know what to look for, have looked at the tape, that is great. I am from the new school of saber metrics: advanced stats, information, trends, numbers, etc.. Maybe that is because I am in finance and my strength is in numbers and picking up trends. This is why I rely on PFF. I have also read Pat Kirwan's "Take Your Eye Off The Ball" and try to incorporate that into my evaluation when I watch football.

Technology is much better than it was twenty, fifteen, ten years ago. We have much more information that SHOULD go into player evaluations than simply the eye test. It would be foolish not to consider saber metrics.

The bottom line is there are 32 GMs, each of them has learned from the best and knows what to look for. If there was a tried and true way of evaluating players, no one would be fired. We know this isn't true.

There is nothing wrong with collecting opinions of what other people post. No one here is passing those opinions off as their own. They are sharing the information, trying to pick up trends, reinforcing with the eye ball test when available and appropriate.

I'm with you TC, as Mike Wibon would say, I am old school, stats are great but there is nothing to replace the eye. Lol

We will get a good look at stats with the Browns this year, they used advanced stats to make their draft picks.

Stats do work just like the eye, sometimes yes, sometimes no. PFF is a good site, I used them often when I was writing and needed some stats to back up an opinion.

But I also have found them to be misleading such as with Moore, I know he plays faster than times and is a tough receiver, but the reason he was open deep so often, had the gaudy statsis because of the spread offense and the other receivers on his team who were either double covered or had the zonea favor their side. He was often playing against the worst defenser on a sub par team.

That is what stats don't tell, what one can only learn from watching as just one example.

I know you know this and I appreciate you and Max posting articles and stats on players; I love it. My post, I hope you know was directed at the other two, not you or max or any of the old gaurd here. Peace.

I'm with you TC, as Mike Wibon would say, I am old school, stats are great but there is nothing to replace the eye. Lol

We will get a good look at stats with the Browns this year, they used advanced stats to make their draft picks.

Stats do work just like the eye, sometimes yes, sometimes no. PFF is a good site, I used them often when I was writing and needed some stats to back up an opinion.

But I also have found them to be misleading such as with Moore, I know he plays faster than times and is a tough receiver, but the reason he was open deep so often, had the gaudy statsis because of the spread offense and the other receivers on his team who were either double covered or had the zonea favor their side. He was often playing against the worst defenser on a sub par team.

That is what stats don't tell, what one can only learn from watching as just one example.

I know you know this and I appreciate you and Max posting articles and stats on players; I love it. My post, I hope you know was directed at the other two, not you or max or any of the old gaurd here. Peace.

Haha no I didn't take it directed at me at all! I very much enjoy and look forward to reading your opinion. Most of the time I agree with you (I think I like Dixon more than you do, but other than that I agree with your sentiment on our draft). Take Moore for example, here's a guy who doesn't pass the eye test nor does he grade out well in sabremetrics.

I don't like the pick. I think the Ravens justification for taking him was weak and purely because they think they can put him at flanker to get a free release, and he can run under Joe Flacco passes off of play-action. But every scouting report and advanced statistic will tell you he wasn't worth a fourth round pick. Put him with the Ravens organization and its track record for developing receivers and it's even worse.

Nobody, I mean nobody knows how things are going to turn out until they play the game. I'm a positive person and well informed. I choose to trust the experts running a professional football operation as opposed to a talking head who thinks he knows better than the experts. This is my team and I love how lucky we are to be in the NFL. I don't need all the hate from people who claim to know everything.

Now that I've had a good night's sleep, I have to say the draft wasn't as bad as I first thought. It was definitely lacking in pzaazz, but that's irrelevant. I like the Stanley pick and don't mind that we didn't want or get Tunsil. Oz says he offered his draft slot and a 4th rounder to the Cowboys to try and trade up in the first round but the Cowboys were paranoid about losing Elliot to us. Bad intel on their side.

Now the second round really bothers me the most. I don't see why you don't go after Spence in that round but trade back instead. Sometimes you've got to take a chance. Spence cleaned up his act for a full year and performed very well. I think we should have given him a shot.

I feel doubtful about Correa but, hell, I'm just a fan and hope the team feels he could start.

Finally, I don't think it's a good idea to say you 'have to take' guys who are starters in round 4 because I think the only valid starter for the beginning of this season is Stanley. The rest...well I have no idea.

And Max is right. You can't blame Oz for guys we didn't get because they were taken ahead of us. It takes two to make a deal and we apparently couldn't find any takers to move up.

We'll see what happens during the pre-season and first few games of the regular season. If even half these picks are starters I'll be happy to eat my words from yesterday.

But as of now I still have serious doubts.

I'd like to think losing 18 starters including your SB MVP QB and all Pro Wr had more to do with us picking 6th, more so then then us having slappies at key positions Edited by cravnravn

I'd like to think losing 18 starters including your SB MVP QB and all Pro Wr had more to do with us picking 6th, more so then then us having slappies at key positions

Not to mention that half of our starters were on IR.

I'd like to think losing 18 starters including your SB MVP QB and all Pro Wr had more to do with us picking 6th, more so then then us having slappies at key positions

Some, not all, the team could not run the ball conaistantly nor when they most needed. The defense continued to blow leads or just get flat out beat. Always falling down in the 4th.

The offense couldn't sustain drives to give the defense rest. All of this before the injuries happened.

Most of the reason for all of that due to average players....

Some, not all, the team could not run the ball conaistantly nor when they most needed. The defense continued to blow leads or just get flat out beat. Always falling down in the 4th.

The offense couldn't sustain drives to give the defense rest. All of this before the injuries happened.

Most of the reason for all of that due to average players....

:thumbup:

Blaming it on injuries is just making excuses.

Not even close, yet they felt drafting a gimic guy would suffice. Seems to me their wanted good publicity by drafting Reynolds to keep the "fans" happy with this whiff of a draft.

Heaven for bid they draft 6 db's and make them fight it out to see who makes the team...If they wanted a slot guy, a return guy there were plenty of others in this draft who are natural players and would do a much better job.

They say a draft takes 3 years to realize, well go back 3 years to see why this team was picking at 6. Then go back 2 years, then last year, see how many times this team will be picking in the top 10 over the few years.....

I wouldn't say gimic guy. Reynolds could be a major steal in the end. Look at Edelman or Randal El. I can see him being as dynamic.

Guess we wait until camp to see if everyone is right or wrong. Obviously, you guys think the team crapped the bed.

I didn't say crap the bed. I like the pass rushing they drafted. I just saw no need for a RB right now with the stable they have. I can see 1 or both being cut and then you drafted them for what?

People say injuries all the time....but Webb/Smith/Lewis/Hill/Arrington our starting secondary blowed last year. There wasn't a lead they couldn't screw up. No injury bug to blame (maybe Jimmy Smith).