ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Opening Day 2016

dc.

I'd love to see more small ball than we see now, but I don't necessarily prefer that option overall. I want to be able to score runs in as many ways as possible.

Small ball sounds great, but it also has huge issues. KCs small ball philosophy isn't doing its job this year all the sudden... What happened?

And neither solves pitching issues.

Small ball also comes at a premium. Back in the early 2000s the A's and Rays were the only team scouting specifically for OBP. Now EVERY team is. Free agents? OBP comes at a huge premium. Shin-Soo Choo got $130M, Jason Werth got $126M. It's becoming harder and harder to find these guys without completely overreaching/overpaying for small ball players (see O's 2014 first round pick DJ Stewart. Top OBP leader in college baseball out of FSU, has been underwhelming for us in the pro's thus far.)

One more thing about OBP, it has deminishing returns. Sure a guy might have a .360 OBP, what does that look like with RISP? A pitcher won't keep walking players if the bases are loaded. Eventually the pitcher will pitch to contact and it will come down to whether the batter can actually hit. Why do you think the Rays year after year are projected to win 90+ games and win the division but bust? They don't hit RBIs. Can't score, can't win games. You can walk the bases loaded, but can you hit a guy in?

Prediction models don't take diminishing returns into play, they simply look at the raw stats. SI predicted the O's to win 70 games, I believe.

I'm going to the game Friday. My company gave it's employees and when we got them about a month ago I was worried if the games would be meaningful ones. Glad they are.

Side note, only employees were given tickets, no spouses or anything. So I have a bad/good feeling someone will drink too much and do something stupid. I don't mean me, I'll be fine. Only danger for me is having a couple and telling someone to fuck off. I have fight back saying during work sober, so after a few drinks it's 50/50.

So just in case, anyone hiring?

I'll find a spot for you, Spen. Same problem, the truth elixir isn't good for my work life...

Some people are FAR too excited to be having a night out and a few drink with their coworkers so the odds are better someone else will do something stupid before I do. But you never know!

Last night was just one game.