ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Harbs should keep Marty

OutsideRzAcE

I am assuming Harbs will keep his job for at least one more year. If that's the case I think most people (maybe even Harbs himself) want Marty gone but I disagree. Think big picture here. Think about how many coordinators and systems Flacco has gone through. We need stability at the OC position. We could go for some bright up and comer like Adam Gase was a couple of years ago but if they're successful we'll lose them after a year or two. Marty has shown me enough to give him a full offseason. He has a good relationship with Joe, I think he's creative on offense, brings a lot of much needed energy, and I think he can be influenced to run more. Best of all- who is going to hire him as a head coach? Look at what the Steelers have with Haley. It took him a few seasons to get that offense rolling but now they are dynamic. Yet how many teams have been beating down the door to interview him over the past few seasons?

Keep Marty commmit to run more and I think the offense will be fine next year.

Coaching, what is the Ravens record on the road since the Super Bowl?

They brought in new coaches (positional), they have one of the largest coaching staffs in the NFL, yet players in all facets of the game keep blowing assignments, keep making the same drive fatal mistakes.

At some point you have to look at the head coach who has a major voice in who his coaches will be, and what players or types of players he wants on this team.

Then you factor in the many mistakes the head coach makes every game ever since he took over as head coach. Wonder why his players keep making the same dumb mistakes each week?

His contract is up in a couple of years, time for the Biscutt to cut ties with him. Bring in an offenaive minded coach, as I said earlier this year, Billy Bob Thorton would be a great choice. Bring back Rex, or Pags as defensive coordinator, some one who knows how to identify with defensive players and attacks.

This roster is old, over priced but clearly not too far off considering how poor quality this league is right now.

Get rid of Colletto, who has not been able to coach offensive line players unless they are hall of fame material... Get rid of any scout or front office person who thought some of these players were worth drafting or signing as free agents and clearly have not worked out.

Then talk Ozzie into retiring over the next year or less... Step up Biscutt...

This team needs stability, not massive change.

They are tottering on the brink of being really good or heading south.

This morning I'm thinking about the benefits of keeping John, Marty and Dean. It's too early to make up my mind.

Let's see how they do against the Bengals.

This is how close they came to a possible 2012 season....

Now that the Pittsburgh Steelers are headed to the AFC playoffs as the likely No. 3 seed, they’ll probably play at home against Miami in the wild-card round. That’s a win, I think. They would then play a divisional-round game against Oakland, which no longer has starting quarterback Derek Carr, who broke his leg last weekend.

That would have been the Ravens’ playoff path if they had won Sunday and gone on to claim the AFC North title – Miami at home, Oakland on the road. You say that’s a dead end? I don’t think so. The Ravens obliterated Miami at M&T Bank Stadium a few weeks ago. Oakland without Carr is vulnerable.

No, the team that came within one outstretched arm of winning in Pittsburgh Sunday could have had an interesting January. That’s what makes the loss so frustrating. When quarterback Joe Flacco remarked, “It was all there for us,” he was talking about the game. But the comment reflected a larger scenario, too....http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-With-A-Few-Changes-Ravens-Can-Be-Pretty-Darn-Good-Next-Year/a0f9578e-75fe-4b06-98a2-702b3574ca09
Edited by vmax
  • Upvote 1

Max, that was the thinking the team had last year heading into the off season. Even though they were only a five win team they looked at all the 3 loss games and thought they were so close....

So what did they do? Keep everyone, bring in new positional coaches, afterall, the skill of the players was there, they just needed better coaching... That was the thought, yet we see the result. Terrible, undisciplined play in most every game; Again.

No, this team needs to see change, players need to know there are serious consequences for their mistakes and the coaches do as well.

Every player gets beat from time to time, every coach gets out coached a few times. But this happens every week, and not just this year. Even in 2012 this team was lucky to overcome poor decisions by the coach, players not being simply beat by better athletes, but because of poor technique, laziness, blown assignments.

Enough is enough. I am all for stability, I am glad they won a Super Bowl recently, but this is not good football, by and large not an offense just facing goood defenses, but poor play, poor play design, poor play calling.

This is not consistantly good defense facing good offenses. This is blown assignments, age, endurance- wearing down late in games, late in the year.

This is a paultry 10 wins or so on the road since 2012.

This all falls on the head coach including all the penalties that keep the team among the tops in the league since he took over...

Why should he keep his job? One more year for what?

The head coach cost this team 2 wins

I would not be opposed to getting rid of Harbs for the right offensive minded coach, but I don't think Bisciotti will do that. Not while the team still plays hard for him. Firing Harbs is a giant risk. No matter what you think about his game day decision making or poor coaching skills, he can run an organization and motivate his players. This is not a guaranteed trait in the next young up and coming coordinator. Look at Todd Bowles who can't control his players or Rex Ryan who has failed to create a disciplined locker room in two tries at HC.

Agree with the above posts. I'm for stability, too, but the Sunday's defensive collapse is a microcosm of the last 3-4 years. And the dysfunctionality we've seen on the offense has to be addressed.,

​But how ? Either we replace the coaches, upgrade our personnel, or both.

I'd like to see us replace Pees with a younger DC - maybe a Gus Bradley type - and someone who can relate to the younger players. Concurrently, we need some playmakers on D- especially a dynamic pass rusher and secondary player.

The absence of a Ray and Reed guy is noticeably absent from this D. If I'm Ozzie, I'm grabbing Michigan's Jabril Peppers - he's a future NFL star who can bring energy, passion and substance back to our D. We've got to have a guy like this who can lay the damn wood of Le Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, and the rest of the AFCN. And while we are it, we need to add a sackmaster. Suggs and Doom are done.

On offense, I tend to side with Max and feel we need some stability. Still, we need a philosophical change and an upgrade to the OL. The OL coach has to go and the run game must return.

I like the backfield of Juice, Kenneth Dixon and Terrence West. Its a solid group that when used effectively and behind the right OL - personnel and coach - could be dominant and provide balance to our offense.

It would take some pressure off Joe and our D.

In the end, I'm tired of watching a team and coaching that seems content with just competing and playing well enough to.......lose.

Like everyone else here, I want this team to return to relevance in the NFL. And we can do it by making the proper coaching adjustments, upgrades on the OL, and O & D playmakers.

This team needs stability, not massive change.

They are tottering on the brink of being really good or heading south.

This morning I'm thinking about the benefits of keeping John, Marty and Dean. It's too early to make up my mind.

Let's see how they do against the Bengals.

This is how close they came to a possible 2012 season....

Yeah I agree. As sad as it is this team was a few plays away from a great season. Ozzie will unload some albatross contracts, and cut draft bust and the team may get a playmaker or 2 that will be the difference for next year. People forget how lucky the 2012 team was on several games ( 4th and 21, and the mile high miracle shouldn't have happened).

I would not be opposed to getting rid of Harbs for the right offensive minded coach, but I don't think Bisciotti will do that. Not while the team still plays hard for him. Firing Harbs is a giant risk. No matter what you think about his game day decision making or poor coaching skills, he can run an organization and motivate his players. This is not a guaranteed trait in the next young up and coming coordinator. Look at Todd Bowles who can't control his players or Rex Ryan who has failed to create a disciplined locker room in two tries at HC.

They never seem to be motivated when they have a few mins to move the ball and get a score. They seem disinterested and lazy. That is on the HC.

Yeah I agree. As sad as it is this team was a few plays away from a great season. Ozzie will unload some albatross contracts, and cut draft bust and the team may get a playmaker or 2 that will be the difference for next year. People forget how lucky the 2012 team was on several games ( 4th and 21, and the mile high miracle shouldn't have happened).

Ozzie has never shown a willingness to cut bust picks. That has been one of my major problems with him.

Agree with the above posts. I'm for stability, too, but the Sunday's defensive collapse is a microcosm of the last 3-4 years. And the dysfunctionality we've seen on the offense has to be addressed.,

​But how ? Either we replace the coaches, upgrade our personnel, or both.

I'd like to see us replace Pees with a younger DC - maybe a Gus Bradley type - and someone who can relate to the younger players. Concurrently, we need some playmakers on D- especially a dynamic pass rusher and secondary player.

The absence of a Ray and Reed guy is noticeably absent from this D. If I'm Ozzie, I'm grabbing Michigan's Jabril Peppers - he's a future NFL star who can bring energy, passion and substance back to our D. We've got to have a guy like this who can lay the damn wood of Le Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, and the rest of the AFCN. And while we are it, we need to add a sackmaster. Suggs and Doom are done.

On offense, I tend to side with Max and feel we need some stability. Still, we need a philosophical change and an upgrade to the OL. The OL coach has to go and the run game must return.

I like the backfield of Juice, Kenneth Dixon and Terrence West. Its a solid group that when used effectively and behind the right OL - personnel and coach - could be dominant and provide balance to our offense.

It would take some pressure off Joe and our D.

In the end, I'm tired of watching a team and coaching that seems content with just competing and playing well enough to.......lose.

Like everyone else here, I want this team to return to relevance in the NFL. And we can do it by making the proper coaching adjustments, upgrades on the OL, and O & D playmakers.

I agree with most of this. We need a dynamic pass rusher and a truly great defensive corner. The offense needs more consistency from the receivers especially guys like Perriman and Waller if those two are going to be considered regulars. Right now I don't see it but they may improve.

Offense needs to be fixed once and for all with a solid run game and tougher OL. The players may already be here for that but the coaching sure ain't.

If Biscotti wants this team to improve then he'll lay down the law to Harbs and Oz at the end of the season. ONE more year is all you get to get this team on the right track. Right now, the offense has no consistency and the defense needs better personnel---at LB and DB.

Bottom line is, did Harbs improve this season from last season? He's going no where regardless of the outcome of the bungles game.

Slower traffic keep right. Well, if I am going .01 mph faster than the person on the right, it might take me a while but legally I would be going faster than them, thus not having to move over...

Ravens coach John Harbaugh, whose team missed the playoffs again, is not going anywhere. He also faces a crucial 2017, but the coach who is signed through 2018 still has the confidence of the organization. That said, he's expected to hire a new full-time offensive coordinator after promoting QB coach Marty Mornhinweg midway through the season. Keep an eye on former Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman for this one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766647/article/bears-expected-to-stay-the-course-with-fox?campaign=fb-nf-sf49042876-sf49042876

What a pathetic excuse for a team. Clearly this team, both sides of the ball, was playing for stats, not for a win.

Harbs even has the balls to challenge a first down mark early in a meaningless game?

Do we really need any more seasons to fire Harbs?

A throw back to a tackle eligible play, from 8 yards or so away? And Marty should stay?