ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens trade for Seattle CB Josh Wilson

thundercleetz

Fresh off of Schefter's Twitter feed:

Ravens get the CB they've been seeking: Baltimore traded a conditional fifth-round pick to Seattle for former Seahawks CB Josh Wilson.

Wilson is a 2007 second round pick out of Maryland. Here is the Scouts, Inc. 2010 scouting report on Josh:

Josh Wilson Scouting - Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

Grade: 65

Comment: Wilson is an undersized corner with excellent top- end speed, quickness and acceleration. He is a gifted athlete who needs to work on refining his skills and quit relying on natural talent. He has been a starter for the past two seasons but missed four games in 2009 with minor injuries and could use some bulking up if he wants to stay healthy for a full 16-game season. He has just a little tightness in his hips and is not always real clean when flipping his hips to open and run with receivers, but does have a good burst of acceleration to catch up. He is quick in transition when planting and driving on the ball from off coverage and has come a long ways when it comes to route recognition and reading the quarterback to get a jump on the ball. He has good ball skills when in position to make a play on the ball but his size definitely puts him at a disadvantage.

This seems like a good move. In 2008 Wilson had 76 tackles, a sack, and four INTs for 135 yards and a TD. In 12 games in 2009 Wilson had 45 tackles, a sack, and 2 INTs for 126 yards and 2 TDs. It seems like he has some Ed Reed return skills with the ball in his hands. He also have experience returning kicks. In 2008 he averaged 25.4 YPR on 69 returns. He only had 11 returns in 2009. The guy has solid starting experience and should be an immediate contributor for our defense. Good job Ozzie!

Excellent addition...great find for probably a 3rd or 4th round pick....typical Ozzie.

Huge upgrade over Fisher and Miller....yea he has some Ed Reed in him once he has the ball in his hands. He won't get beat deep.

A playmaking defensive back, Wilson posted six interceptions over the past two years, returning three of them for touchdowns, which is second in Seahawks history.

In 2008, Wilson led the NFL with eight kickoff returns for 40 or more yards, averaging 25.4 yards per attempt.

yodoz2%20copy.jpg

Wow!

Ozzie: "Pending his physical, we expect Josh to be taking snaps against the Jets on opening night.”
Edited by vmax

Great move even if it turns into a 3rd round pick IMO because we have a shot to win now and giving up a pick next year is the best way to not hurt this team. I was willing to trade a linebacker or Willis and maybe would rather have done that, but I'm very happy with this move and the versatility he can bring us once our other corners are healthy is also big.

Guest BallTMore

I don't know too much about him, but after reading a few articles and quotes he sounds like a Raven. Good move, Oz!

Seattle fans seem unhappy about this. That makes me feel even better about the trade!

I don't know too much about him, but after reading a few articles and quotes he sounds like a Raven. Good move, Oz!

Seattle fans seem unhappy about this. That makes me feel even better about the trade!

Good point...if the fans aren't happy, there has to be a reason. I am with you....Don't know much about the Cat, but Foxworth speaks highly of him and he is YOUNG which is very encouraging because if he works out, he can be a Raven a couple of years.

It can't be a 3rd rounder. The condition is a fifth into a fourth if he plays enough games.

Why can't it be? There isn't a rule that says a conditional pick can only move up 1 single round, and from what I have read, they haven't stated that it can only turn into a 4th.

Love the move. I wanted us to draft him a couple of years back but he was gone before our pick in the 2nd round and we traded back instead. Really nice pick up. I hope we can extend his deal beyond this season.

I would still like to see us draft a bigger more physical corner in 2011 though. All our guys seem to be small speedsters but we don't have anyone that can match up to the bigger receivers in the league.

That was a good one BallT!

OK...Wilson passed his physical...he's a Raven...

The Ravens newly acquired cornerback Josh Wilson has passed his physical, completing the trade from the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick.

To make room for Wilson, a Maryland graduate, the Ravens placed rookie fullback Mike McLaughlin on injured reserve.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/09/wilson_passes_physical_fb_mclaughlin_moved_to_ir.html

55892543.jpg

I hear it's a conditional 5th rounder...solid Ozzie!

That was a good one BallT!

OK...Wilson passed his physical...he's a Raven...

55892543.jpg

I hear it's a conditional 5th rounder...solid Ozzie!

Max et al,

You really have to wonder how Seattle feel for this deal -and I thought we really got hosed on the John Beck for Doug Dutch (redskins) swap. I mean Josh Wilson - who is a starter or part time starter - for a conditional pick. CBs are at a premium.

Maybe its that Seattle's best coffee !

Either Pete Carrol or Seattle's GM owe Ozzie and the Ravens big time - maybe Ozzie or Harbs has some special scoop on Carroll (he did leave USC mysteriously) - or Seattle's GM is an idiot.

Whatever the case, Wilson looks like a gamer and he's got to be an upgrade over Travis Fisher - who is arguably in the same class if not worse than Frank Walker.

Nice work Oz !

I obviously think we hosed them, but looking more into it, Wilson is going to be a Free Agent at years end, and Seattle is in clear rebuilding mode, so a draft pick was obviously the best thing for them to get. Luckily for us I guess, a 5th that could turn into a 4th was the best offer....