ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

How confident are you going into Sunday?

OutsideRzAcE

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a huge game for the Ravens - pretty much determines whether they will compete for one of the top two AFC Seeds with the prize of a bye and a home playoff game, or if they will be relegated to chasing a wild card spot for the third straight year. I know most of you are as nervous axious as I am about the game, but I thought it'd be cool to get a better idea of where everyone's confidence level is going into this game (and I wanted to use this Poll Function that nobody every uses.) Post more detail if you feel like owning and explaining your answer.

• Upvote 1

Guest BallTMore

Cautiously optimistic. Mostly because we're at home.

Regardless of record, these matchups usually come down to the wire. The Steelers not having Holmes make me breathe a little easier.

I expect another 13-10 game. Joe will be in complete checkdown mode, and I kinda expect the same from Ben. No one will want to make the big mistake.

I voted "Cautiously Optimistic".

Before the game earlier this year, the script for this series has been:

Close game,

Ravens take the lead

Ravens blow crucial opportunity

Steelers come back in the final minutes

Ravens turn the ball over (downs or turnover)

Steelers escape with a win

The Pessimist in me is worried that the Steelers were able to go Mano-y-Mano against the Ravens with one hand tied behind their back. After 58 minutes and change, the Steelers were right where they always seem to be in this series: celebrating a go ahead score in the final minutes - and they did it with their 4th string QB.

The optimist in me says that though the Ravens had every reason to fold after seeing the same old script in Pittsburgh, they instead responded by stunning the Steelers with an improbable but well-earned comeback. The optimist in me also says (he is quite the talker) that the drive was evidence that the Ravens have evolved to the point where the old script in the Ravens-Steelers seriers no longer applies. The new norm sees the Ravens ever improving offense as the catalyst for a flip in the script - The Ravens are now the team that will never be out of it because of their offense's ability to score at any time.

The realist in me says this will be a close game that the Refs will decide. :laugh:

Also "Cautiously Optimistic", Steelers even with injuries tend to adjust well; Ben with a bad foot may aid our containment efforts, but our secondary won't. Best bet is for our O-line (also patchwork) to hold up and give Flacco the extra second to check and roll. What if Rice is our primary run threat? not good IMO. Hopefully we can use the full complement of receivers especially Heap to spread things out. I think at home and with Reed healthier our D has the advantage and I actually think our O is at least even if we have no fatal errors; thus a close victory.

The game will be won by the Ravens at the line of scrimage.

The Steelers O line will break and the Ravens O line will hold up just enough to allow Joe some big plays. Steeler D line is weaker than the Ravens.

The 12th man will make an impact. Home field advantage makes the difference.

Extremely Confident in a Ravens victory. I see the D bending, but not breaking, Mendenhall will get his 80 yards, but will not break the goal line. Ngata & Ray will put a hurtin on Mendenhall.

I see Bazooka Joe with a typical Joe day, 250 yrds, 2 td's, Ray Rice will come up big, 110 yards and a TD.

Ravens put it away late 24-12.

I am very confident it will be an intense snotknocker of epic proportions with a full display of pain and bloodshed.

As always, there will be a couple of game changing plays and close/controversial calls by the zebras.

Outcome ? Who knows. I gave up on the predictions a long time ago. Bad karma !

I see an L. I do not like the pass D verses their passing game. I have a feeling Mendenhal has a very solid game. I also see their D winning that side of the ball. It will be very close. I am thinking 24-20 Squeelers.

I agree with papasmurf, I am 'Slightly Pessimistic'. With the way our rush defense has been this season and how successful the Steelers running game has been, containing Mendenhall will be much more difficult with Ben at QB than when we could stack the box with Batch as QB. I feel like we could contain Ben and the passing game, but the big play always looms and one miscommunication in the secondary could lose the game for us. With Ben, he always seems to get one big play on a broken coverage on us that wins them the game.

The Steelers have the top ranked run defense in the league, and with our banged up offensive line, I am scared Joe is not going to have time to throw. Where my optimism comes from is the fact that we could move the ball on them in the first meeting, and I do believe we are a better offense now than we were earlier in the season. Also Ben has been sacked a lot this year. Add in the foot injury and I believe will get to Ben. We got good pressure on Freeman and have done well in the past few weeks.

I think papa is right, a 24-20 loss. But I still would not be surprised if we got some turnovers and penalties from the Steelers and won. They have not been a disciplined football team this year. And the home crowd WILL help.

I too am a bit pessimistic on a win. I really feel the Steelers, at this point, are the better football team. What's more unfortunate is that I think we have the better personnel. We're just not capitalizing on what we have here in Baltimore. No points in the second half of the Tampa game says alot about where this offense is going. We continually fail on 3 & 4th down in short yardage situations. We also do not have these receivers involved enough, we don't take enough deep chances in games. Interceptions on deep throws are similar to punts for crying out loud. Our defense has always struggled against smaller one cut and go backs. Mendenhall fits that bill. Why oh why we don't throw WR screens to Boldin is a mystery, that guy runs those sooooo well. Why oh why we can't run a screen pass, etc.

I don't think the Steelers are invincible, I just don't see them losing. I feel the Steelers win this one with authority. 24-10.

Steelers have struggled in Baltimore

The Ravens are looking to continue their dominance over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Baltimore.

Since 2003, the Ravens are 6-1 at home against Pittsburgh. That has included three overtime wins (2003, 2005 and 2009) and one shutout (2006).

The Ravens' only loss to the Steelers at home during that span was 2008, when the Ravens fell 13-9 on a controversial touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes with 43 seconds remaining.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/12/steelers_have_struggled_in_baltimore.html

51023041.jpg

Guest BallTMore
Steelers have struggled in Baltimore

The Ravens are looking to continue their dominance over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Baltimore.

Since 2003, the Ravens are 6-1 at home against Pittsburgh. That has included three overtime wins (2003, 2005 and 2009) and one shutout (2006).

The Ravens' only loss to the Steelers at home during that span was 2008, when the Ravens fell 13-9 on a controversial touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes with 43 seconds remaining.

http://weblogs.balti..._baltimore.html

Right. The Steelers play us differently when we're at home. They play it pretty safe. They just stay in the game, and don't take too many big chances, then try to win it in the end. Much like we do when we're in Pittsburgh. I think that's wrong for both teams, but I can understand why they play that way. One mistake will get the home fans and players in a frenzy, which would make the game that much tougher.

Like I said. Cautiously optimistic because the game is in Baltimore. If someone gets to 20 points, they win this game. I see the score more like 17-13, 13-10, though.

As usual, the team that has the ball last will probably win the game.

Interesting poll.

I think anyone who is confident of a win.. no matter which team they root for, going into this weekend is way out of line.

I am right inline with most of the replies, from the other side. I think our offense should be able to put up 14-17 points. I think our defense will hold you all down to 10-13 points... right up to the 5 minute mark of the fourth quarter.

At that point, all bets are off. Our passing D is horrid, ESPECIALLY at the end of the game. Our offense seems to only respond at the beginning and at the end of games.

The BIGGER question is.... well..... Naa.... I think that one deserves its own poll.

Please oh please work out this time! I really want this game in the worst way!

I've got the same anticipation for this one like (but certainly less than) the AFCC game against them or the AFCD game v. Colts a few years back, hard to keep out of my mind or mouth. gahdammit...

Extremely Confident in a Ravens victory. I see the D bending, but not breaking, Mendenhall will get his 80 yards, but will not break the goal line. Ngata & Ray will put a hurtin on Mendenhall.

I see Bazooka Joe with a typical Joe day, 250 yrds, 2 td's, Ray Rice will come up big, 110 yards and a TD.

Ravens put it away late 24-12.

Pretty much the same, though the 24-12 score might be closer.

Also: Crav, you still post on ESPN? Hahahaha. I was just reading there and saw you all over.

Im expecting another close game, with us leading most of it. Steelers WILL make a late drive...or 2, its nearly guaranteed. Also, how we mix the run and pass will determine if we win or lose. Of course turnover game is key, when joe is sacked...and he will be sacked plenty, he must hold on to the ball and throw it away when possible.

Can we get a stallworth decoy in there on a play or 3 too?

Guest BallTMore
Can we get a stallworth decoy in there on a play or 3 too?

I'd like that, but it's doubtful. I like to see him actually used to stretch the field, but which diva would you sit to get him the ball? Going 4 wide probably won't get him the ball, either.

If Cam mixes Stallworth into this offense, and uses him for something other than an end-around, my head will explode from amazement. I just don't see it happening this season.