ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Kansas City Game

oldno82

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa, 3 times Lamar did not throw the ball to 1) Ingram- when the team was in the redzone. Ingram was wide open on the right side, a receiver in front of him to block. If Lamar hits him, easy touchdown, saves a minute & a half. (They scored a few plays later)

2) In the redzone, Brown on a short crosser, at the 5 yard line, 3rd & 3, Lamar keeps it and runs for the first down. The Ravens scored a few plays later, but they could have saved another 30 seconds or so.

3) 1 and 10 from the 20, redzone, Andrew is on a corner route, db has inside leverage, Brown is on a short, comeback route, tightly covered. Andrews was wide open, especially with a timing pass, Lamar scrambled and threw it away. Again, another score, saving time on the clock.

This does not count the long throws to Brown who beat his man coverage 3 times and was well over thrown each time.

This does tell us, even with out the 12 man view, that the receivers were getting open and either Lamar over threw them or, did not anticipate, nor read the coverage.

Given the very difficult catches several players made, we have to conclude the receivers are better this year than the year(s) prior when they a) could not get open and b)could not make contested catches.

Lamar's stats look bad, but with out the prevent defense at the end and 2 very lucky plays, his stats would look even worse.

Maybe this was just the team expecting too much by making him pass early & often dispite the run game dominating. Maybe he was pressing and losing his throwing mechanics.

Time will tell. What we do know is that the previous two games he was hitting wide open receivers, while having the same time in the pocket today. So it appeaars he was just looking for the first read/ open man and not reading a defense.

That was one of my concerns when they drafted him, that he can't read coverages. Again, time will tell..

In any event, this season should still be fun to watch, the division as Max said is still wide open.

But as you & I know, this defense, the secondary, the linebackers, are in trouble.

The defensive line was exhausted from the pressure they kept trying to put on and not having any depth there; that is on the cpach & gm....

Last year's near win was done with the running game. The running game was still there this year but they elected to go passing early and often. If they play the kind of running attack they have, they deprive the opposing team much-o time on the clock. They should have run more especially when it became evident that the passing of Lamar was just not there today.

But it's just one game. Maybe they'll learn something here. I'm still impressed with the playmakers we have.

As I said they should have run Ingram and Edwards more.

Early season disappointments: Boykin and Hill. They still have time to turn themselves around.

The team still played a decent game but that ain't good enough against the Chiefs.

Harbs: stop going for 4th and three in the middle of the field. You lose the ability to have your defense bottle them up near their goal line. And knock off the new habit of going for 2 after all TD's.

Don't blame the offense. They should have run more, but a defense that has given up over 800 yards the past 2 weeks should hang their head in shame.

Then.....with a minute plus to go, all they need is a 3rd down stop and the Ravens are in position to win the game.

We saw how well that worked.

Scream.gif

Yeah, our sieve like D conjures up memories of some of the woeful 70s Colts defenses (e.g Lloyd Mumphord, etc). Thats enough to give you the shakes huh ?

If we dont clean this up, Baker Mayfield -who is still reeling from last nights 4th down gaffe in the end zone - is going to pick our D apart with OBJ and Jarvis Landry.

I dont know what happened to our so called scary good defense but Maxs above pic above sums up what weve seen thus far - sans the Miami game.

Lets hope the last 2 two defensive performances - especially the pass D - were an aberration and Wink and the boys bring their A game. Theyll need it to win Sundays game.

Our defensive personnel are not that good. At least at this time. The DL is mostly fine...the LBs are mostly not...and the damn secondary has too many breakdowns. Maybe Earl Thomas is past his prime by more than we thought. And I think the loss of Jimmy Smith seems to have really hurt the defense even though he's not quite as good as he used to be. I keep hearing about 'communication breakdowns' in the secondary but I think the problem is worse than that. As Max said giving up 800 yards in 2 weeks is simply not cutting it at all. C'mon Wink, tighten up the problems in the secondary because those guys are not supposed to be this bad.

In any case, with the kind of high-octane attack the KC offense has, running the ball would have given the defense less time on the field which means less time for Mahomes to do his thing.

4) The Ravens have no pass-rush juice. Matthew Judon is that dude in Baltimore who blows up during a contract year before finding riches elsewhere. Pernell McPhee was once that dude, and he's now back as a starter, with the Ravens unable to identify anyone besides Judon who can get to the pass rusher. Every defense looks bad against the Chiefs, but on Sunday, this group missed offseason departures Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith, in addition to former linebacker C.J. Mosley. The lack of pressure has exposed a few coverage busts in the Ravens' secondary, and the generally lackluster play defending the slot. Safety Earl Thomas appeared to be victimized by Chiefs play-caller Andy Reid on rookie receiver Mecole Hardman's 83-yard touchdown. Even without left tackle Eric Fisher, the Chiefs' offensive line gave Patrick Mahomes all the time he needed against a defense that has a long way to go to live up to the organization's standards.....http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001058484/article/saints-resilience-steelers-struggles-among-trends-defining-19

What makes this worse is that the Lamar era offense is actually averaging around 24 points per game.

That needs to be 30 with this defense.

Yep, everyone thought our D hadn't missed a beat after drubbing hapless Miami. Cards rookie QB Kyler Murray exposed us, then Mahomes lit us up.

Mayfield, OBJ and Landry must be licking their chops.

Our D better get its collective crap together...quick. Humphrey and then Jimmy need to return to form and health soon. Pass rush ? Someone needs to step

up and the Winkster needs to dial up some sacks.

Sundays game is HUGE ! At the end of the day we are either 3-1 or 2-2.

So is this Earl Thomas signing a bust? Age catching up with Carr?

Too early yet to tell about Thomas. I'm not sure he's comfortable with the system. Maybe he's still learning.

I hate to get down on Carr. He's been a great find. I really hope he can hold off Father Time. Lets see how he does against Mayfield and the rest of the Browns' offense.

This is stating the obvious but the pass rush is mostly anemic. You can't give any QB 4-5 seconds in the pocket.