ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Homestretch Final Chance

vmax

The final 2 games of this season are very important for the Ravens if they want to have a good chance to win the Super bowl. This is their last shot to tune up this team and address the weaknesses.

All of us have been amazed and in awe while witnessing this historic Ravens offense. And rightly so. I am really not concerned with this unit as far as how well they will do in the playoffs. They will fight and scrap.

Yet a great offense can be slowed down or negated by a great defense. If you remember going into the 2000 Super Bowl, the Giants were all "Shits and Giggles" after putting up 45 points to win the NFC Championship. Their OC was Shawn Payton. We know what happened next.

I read this morning that the 49er defense will be missing half their starters for Sunday's game against the Falcons. Their strength has been their D which leads me to my first point.

1. The Ravens need to enter the playoffs healthy. Getting a 1st round bye will be very beneficial towards this goal. They really are not deep enough to sustain many more injuries.

2. The next 2 games are against Division opponents. They now have had 2 games of experience against this Ravens offense. This will be their 3rd. Will they solve the riddle on how to stop it or slow it down? This will be very interesting to see. If not, then that bodes well for the playoffs.

3. To go all the way, at least 2 of the 3 phases of offense, defense and special teams will have to be playing excellent. We've seen that at times this year, but not on Thursday night. Special teams was horrid and for the second week in a row the secondary was having trouble covering receivers against mediocre offenses.  The Jets offensive line if very weak and the Ravens could not generate pressure. The Bills ran over the Ravens D. Although this Ravens defensive unit is ranked 6th, I see more smoke and mirrors than substance. There is hope. I think the secondary can step it up. We've seen that this season against Seattle and the 49er's.  I think Special Teams will get it together. Tucker and Koch are simply 2 dependable and outstanding players. Nevertheless, improvement in these 2 units is critical or this team will not go far.

4. Hit the playoffs on a roll.  So far these Ravens are steam rolling. Morale, confidence and great team chemistry is evident. Focus and discipline is also evident. They have veteran leadership in Imgram, Bynes, Smith and Thomas. Then there is the Lamar effect. They believe in him. They've caught his vision and passion to win the Super Bowl. Actually it's an obsession. To accomplish this, it has  become an obsession for Lamar to be excellent. Now his team has it. 

That is a very powerful force. It's an energy and chemistry few teams generate and very few can stop. We've seen it emanate from Ray Lewis as he infected and inspired the 2000 Ravens Team.  We've see it lift players and overall team performance to the highest level. This is the biggest thing they have going for them. :gorave:

ravens-defense.jpg?w=640

Yes...football is a game in which emotion can and does play a big part. The Ravens right now are really fired up thanks to Lamar. If they can keep that up I think they are the favorites to get to and win the Super Bowl. The whole team is feeding off him. 

One game at a time. If 15 straight happens, then it happens. That means they were focused and beat the opponent on their schedule. They found ways to win. I'll take that over finding ways to lose.

There are no easy games left for this 2019 team. From here on out the ride gets ruff. 2 division opponents coming up who know and hate each other. Then....

hollywood-ingram-crowd-jets-hubbard.jpg

Let today happen, see where we stand tomorrow. Maybe we are a step closer but we can't be a step further away.

12 and freaking two... Play off bound, Central Champs, top seed as of today, maybe tomorrow we lock up the top seed because of what happens today?

But they can't lose out on the top seed, nor on a playoff birth nor on the AFC Champs by what happens today...enjoy the rest for tomorrow we begin!

The Ravens got no help Sunday towards the #1 seed.

The Steelers are still in it if they win out. They'll be going "all out" week 17....if the Jets don't handle them first. That could happen because the steelers offense is putrid. :fishin:

The Browns game is out of the way and Brownie playoff hopes crushed.

#1 seed clinched. :gorave:

Next up?  the Steelers who mustered 10 points against the Yets. They will be greeted by the pleasant Ravens fans at the Bank.  the false hope for the Steelers is that they can still make the playoffs if they defeat the Ravens. And the Ravens??? another fine chance to keep them home on the final game of the season.

This will be a slobber knocker.

RG needs the start if anything else would have proved that today. Lamar was hit hard often, Ingram injured, how bad we have to wait and see. BeastDrews hobbled, Peters, etc..

If they can't beat that terrible Steeler team who cares, it would be awesome to knock them out again, but a healthy team is more important.

I think the starters need just some work to stay crisp.  I have seen to many times that team that takes the last week off playing like crap come week 2 of the PO.  If they play great right out of the gate then make it just a possession.  If they arent great its a quarter.  By the end of the game scrape the back end of the roster.  I would love to see Trace by the end of the game.

It all comes down to week 17 for the Steelers and Titans....

Despite their loss Sunday to the Saints, the Titans are in the driver's seat for the final playoff spot in the AFC. They can clinch the spot with a Week 17 victory over the Texans, or a Steelers loss to the Ravens. They'll miss the playoffs only if they lose to the Texans and the Steelers beat the Ravens. ...........https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28348833/2019-nfl-playoff-picture-afc-nfc-standings-seeds-scenarios-outlook-week-16

It's early yet I think the Ravens can defeat the Steelers with RG3 but the defense will need most of their starters to play. Tucker can finally get some work in.

A 1 point win is just as good as a 14 point win.

43 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

I think the starters need just some work to stay crisp.  I have seen to many times that team that takes the last week off playing like crap come week 2 of the PO.  If they play great right out of the gate then make it just a possession.  If they arent great its a quarter.  By the end of the game scrape the back end of the roster.  I would love to see Trace by the end of the game.

Yes to this strategy.

I'd play the starters a quarter or so then start pulling them. Give them some playing time to stay sharp. 

Tough call, if a starter gets hurt people will blame the coach. If starters don't play and the team starts poorly in two weeks - people will blame the coach. Probably the same people. 

But IMO anyone fully healthy should play some Sunday.

We are definitely seeing some signs of wear and tear on the players. Andrews and Ingram especially. Maybe Smith and Peters. Lamar looked like his legs took a beating. Williams may need a break.

It would be prudent to identify those who really need some time to heal and rest them.

Everybody else plays. The one thing they can't rest right now is the intense desire to win that this team has generated. They must keep fueling that.

12 hours ago, Spen said:

I'd play the starters a quarter or so then start pulling them. Give them some playing time to stay sharp. 

Tough call, if a starter gets hurt people will blame the coach. If starters don't play and the team starts poorly in two weeks - people will blame the coach. Probably the same people. 

But IMO anyone fully healthy should play some Sunday.

If he doesn't play them and they play tn and they play sloppy it is hard fault.  If they play everyone the whole game and you get injuries the same.  If someone gets hurt just playing a quarter that is an unfortunate evil.