ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Is this a Fail?

vmax

With the acquisition of Boldin, Stallworth and Housmanzadah to compliment Mason, Rice, Heap and Flacco, the Ravens offense ranks 20th in yards per game and 13th in points scored.

Something just isn't right...the 2000 Ravens offense ranked 16th and we thought that was crappy.

The receivers have been big upgrades for us: 25 receiving TDs (with a few drops in there as well) and we have been able to keep defenses honest by throwing the ball downfield (we are among the league leaders in big plays downfield). However, here are two numbers that are holding back our offense:

- Ravens are sixth in the league in rushing attempts but are tied for 25th in the league with 3.8 yards per rushing attempt (Cincinnati is last with 3.6 YPR)

- Flacco has been sacked 36 times this season, third most in the league (McNabb is second with 37 and Cutler is first with 46 sacks)

Simply put, with the exception of the last two weeks, the guys up front have not been doing their job. If this line performed to the level last year's line did, this offense would definitely be a top-10 offense IMO. The loss of Gaither really hurt us.

Being unable to run the ball sets up second and third-and-longs, and situations like that are leading to Flacco getting sacked a lot. Correct me if I am wrong, but the run game has been very poor in short yardage and redzone situations this season. Only 10 rushing TDs this season, 22 last season.

On the positive note:

- The run game has been solid the past two weeks and hopefully this is something we can carry into the playoffs.

- It is really amazing how low Flacco's INT numbers are considering the large amount of times he has been in second and third-and-long situations.

I don't think people really appreciate how much we have asked out of Flacco this season being how poor the offensive line and run game has been, and Flacco has stepped up!

I saw a Fail today.

cleetz you're right...it is the line. Then a little Flacco and a little Cameron. With any kind of a lead...if the game is close...Joe will not risk an INT. He goes for the safe, conservative throw. It has worked because the Ravens are 12-4....but that will allow every playoff team to stay close and steal the win. It also gasses the D.

198 yards of offense...they couldn't run today or throw.

With the acquisition of Boldin, Stallworth and Housmanzadah to compliment Mason, Rice, Heap and Flacco, the Ravens offense ranks 20th in yards per game and 13th in points scored.

Something just isn't right...the 2000 Ravens offense ranked 16th and we thought that was crappy.

Max,

You are exactly right. Something aint right with the O, hasnt been all year. Unfortunately, it wont get fixed in the post season and we will have to wait until after the season. It would not surprise me to see Cam gone next year. Something's gotta give !

I think that if Mason retires, Boldin will get much more touches. This IMHO will improve this offense. Boldin should be targeted far more often than he is. We also could use a burner, even though we're already supposed to have one, it just seems we don't use him.

Why can't we use Stallworth like Big Jen uses Wallace? Stallworth is supposed to have insane speed.

Its close to a fail. Why trade for one of the best receivers and utilize him as little as we have? Just by being on the field I am sure Boldin has helped, but I'd dont think we brought him in just to force the defense to cover him.

Its close to a fail. Why trade for one of the best receivers and utilize him as little as we have? Just by being on the field I am sure Boldin has helped, but I'd dont think we brought him in just to force the defense to cover him.

Agreed. also the O-line and specific pass-protection issues I think have caused Flacco to rely more on check-downs to Rice and outs that he know Mason will know to come back to, and has not been able to get enough time to get to boldin. But yeah it seems that Boldin was never a huge priority in the passing game this year for some (other?) reasons.

Well gang, we now have a new play that will delight us for years to come. The Ravens ran it twice yesterday. No...it's not the only 2 plays they have for Stallworth.

It's almost as good as Billicks 'hang the halfback out in the flat to dry (or get creamed)'. You know that one...RB runs out to the flat about 3-4 yards behind the LOS...QB stares at him...waits until the secondary gets the hint...stare some more...wait...now the CB and safety are on a full charge toward the RB...hold it, they are almost on top of him!...release! Ahhh man did he get wiped out!

Yesterday...the O line was getting consistently knocked on their ass..."Oh Yea! We'll fix you!"....DELAY HALFBACK DRAW!!!

Here's how this gem unfolds...snap the ball, O line immediately starts to get knocked around...Joe drops back...has the ball...weakly fakes a throw...waits...line not totally destroyed yet...wait some more because we're gonna surprise them...ok! line's a shambles!...they're closing on Rice...Now! Hand him the ball!...Oh man! You got Jacked Up!

Let's call it again!

FAIL!!!!!

caddyshack.jpg

If we would have put 10 on the the second half, things wouldn't be so dire. It just absolutely perplexes me when the second half of pretty much every game we have played the defense seems to know exactly what is coming.

Come on Coach, tell your OC, we need to change up some in the second half. What we're doing is not working.

Yes.

I wouldnt be surprised if Boldin requested a trade the moment we lose in the playoffs. And no way does housh come back here, no way at all.

Shame, cause if we had ANY other offensive coordinator then Cam, we would not only be much better, but our players would be happy and we would be hanging 25+ a game on everyone.

There's ZERO excuse for a talent like Anquan Boldin to go to waste. And i dont blame Flacco one bit btw.

I agree with everything thats been said here. We failed to properly utilize Boldin, Housh, and Stallworth and the latter 2 have contracts, I think, that were only 1 year deals so why should they come back? The pass protection is weak and the passing scheme is weaker. And sometimes Joe has time to throw and either no one is open or he doesn't see them. What the heck is going on here? We need to use the weapons we have and there are many.

After the season, I expect the Ravens to do SOMETHING to remedy this offensive mess we have and I want to hear Harbaugh tell the fans what that is.

Yes.

I wouldnt be surprised if Boldin requested a trade the moment we lose in the playoffs. And no way does housh come back here, no way at all.

Shame, cause if we had ANY other offensive coordinator then Cam, we would not only be much better, but our players would be happy and we would be hanging 25+ a game on everyone.

There's ZERO excuse for a talent like Anquan Boldin to go to waste. And i dont blame Flacco one bit btw.

Well you do know that if Joe's primary target is covered that he can oh I dont know - and I know this is crazy talk - look around for other open receivers. Well most QBs could. Yeah its Cam's fault. If Cam would line Boldin up as a RB for Joe to dump the ball off to, then he would get the ball more.

Well you do know that if Joe's primary target is covered that he can oh I dont know - and I know this is crazy talk - look around for other open receivers. Well most QBs could. Yeah its Cam's fault. If Cam would line Boldin up as a RB for Joe to dump the ball off to, then he would get the ball more.

Semi-sarcastic tone noted; but maybe they still need to throw to boldin even if he's covered, often enough for him to exert himself as the powerful guy he is and let the defense know that can't just crowd up and cover the "outlets". The ravens have consistently avoided going downfield in the passing game, preferring to stay to the sidelines and passes generated behind or just past LOS; only the physical abilities of Mason, Rice and sometimes Heap have allowed us to maintain a decent pass game to help our run game stay on track. If we go up against Jets or Pats or any team with decent DBs/CBs we're going to be in trouble if we can't go down the middle more often.

Semi-sarcastic tone noted; but maybe they still need to throw to boldin even if he's covered, often enough for him to exert himself as the powerful guy he is and let the defense know that can't just crowd up and cover the "outlets". The ravens have consistently avoided going downfield in the passing game, preferring to stay to the sidelines and passes generated behind or just past LOS; only the physical abilities of Mason, Rice and sometimes Heap have allowed us to maintain a decent pass game to help our run game stay on track. If we go up against Jets or Pats or any team with decent DBs/CBs we're going to be in trouble if we can't go down the middle more often.

Well he is certainly the receiver that will fight the hardest for the ball. My sarcastic point was even when the play is not specifically called for Boldin, there are and have been opportunities to get him the ball and they haven't. And I don't think its Cam's fault. Maybe Cam should have more plays where Boldin is the primary receiver but even when he is not a QB should look his way.

For some reason Mason has to be the main primary, I guess he needs to be rewarded for complaining and bitching so much.

For some reason Mason has to be the main primary, I guess he needs to be rewarded for complaining and bitching so much.

I think the problem is Flacco is not grown-up enough to look for Boldin whether-or-not the play is called for, but is maybe conditioned now to look for an ever-eager Mason or some other means. The offense as it is now is not letting Flacco grow up as a real QB. That has equal parts blame on Cameron and Flacco. Boldin is the withering fruit on the vine.

I think the problem is Flacco is not grown-up enough to look for Boldin whether-or-not the play is called for, but is maybe conditioned now to look for an ever-eager Mason or some other means. The offense as it is now is not letting Flacco grow up as a real QB. That has equal parts blame on Cameron and Flacco. Boldin is the withering fruit on the vine.

Now that is something I do blame Cam and Harbaugh for. However if they let him grow into a real QB, perhaps we are not 12-4, maybe not even close. Maybe we would be. Hard to tell.

Either way I think they should have.

The increased targets to Mason seem to coincide with the increased pressure Flacco has faced in the pocket lately. This is Flacco's third year with Mason, but only his first year with Boldin. When shit hits the fan and his attention is split between reading the field and running for his life, he probably feels he has a better grasp for where Mason will be.

The increased targets to Mason seem to coincide with the increased pressure Flacco has faced in the pocket lately. This is Flacco's third year with Mason, but only his first year with Boldin. When shit hits the fan and his attention is split between reading the field and running for his life, he probably feels he has a better grasp for where Mason will be.

Yep. And the O is spiralling downward as a result (i.e. 20-10 victory at Cleveland, 13-7 vs Cincy). Thats 20 and 13 points against some of the leagues weaker D's at a TIME when we are supposed to be peaking - see Steelers who are absolutely crushing the little sisters of the poor (Carolina, Cleveland).

Joe just needs to be Joe, be a team guy, and move this offense. There are no tomorrows this Sunday. No more excuses about how we just need to get better, we cant wait to get better. Gotta do it ! :gorave:

Yep. And the O is spiralling downward as a result (i.e. 20-10 victory at Cleveland, 13-7 vs Cincy). Thats 20 and 13 points against some of the leagues weaker D's at a TIME when we are supposed to be peaking - see Steelers who are absolutely crushing the little sisters of the poor (Carolina, Cleveland).

Joe just needs to be Joe, be a team guy, and move this offense. There are no tomorrows this Sunday. No more excuses about how we just need to get better, we cant wait to get better. Gotta do it ! :gorave:

Oh, and our offense is 22nd in the NFL. Only 1 team in the playoffs is worse. Guess who ? Seattle.

This is unacceptable and given our talent, toys and weapons, somebody should be hung ! :angry:

Oh, and our offense is 22nd in the NFL. Only 1 team in the playoffs is worse. Guess who ? Seattle.

This is unacceptable and given our talent, toys and weapons, somebody should be hung ! angry.gif

ON A lighter note 4 Top 10 Offences, failed to make the playoffs.

The Chargers have the # 1 offense...Houston is #3...both sitting home. Hell...the Chargers have the #1 D too!

The Lions and Chiefs are ahead of the Ravens in scoring.