ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Questions, Concerns and Doubts about Lamar

vmax

2 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

Is this the limitations of Lamar or the failure of Roman?  Roman has OC'd 3 teams...

Do you listen to inside access?  They had an interview with a guy from USA Today about the Ten game and talking about the pats game.  He was saying he saw 100 yds Lamar left on the field Sun night.  He has continued leaving yds on the field many times to not seeing Andrews (just as T keeps talking about).  Lamar apparently isnt going through his progressions.  Basically first read then the check down.  He was wondering if the game plan is simplified bc Lamar cant get through the reads as they are now.

21 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

Can't read because of inability or lack of protection?

This is a great question. Let me point out one game, one play last year that comes to mind. It was a third down against the Bengals. Lamar takes the snap, takes two steps back. The Bengals are in zone coverage. Snead is in the slot to the right, running a deep out route, Andrews out wide running a to the sticks comeback route, Brown on the left doing a skinny post..

The safety to the power side is deep and, takes a step back at the snap. A linebacker is inside Snead as he runs his route. If this pass is thrown on time, Lamar had time, it is an easy 20 yard gain on 3rd & 8. Instead, Lamar pump fakes, the safety moves toward, not Snead but Andrews, Lamar scrambles for 9 yards and a first down.

Sure, they moved the chains, ate some clock, Lamar did a Lamar run; how exciting. However, had he thrown on time to Snead, it's a bigger play and causes the defense to respect the passing game that series. All of this was clear presnap, the coverage, which route, if there was time, would be the best option. There was time, but Lamar either did not see it, trust it, or had preplanned to go to Andrews who was double covered by a corner and safety.

Just one play, there are many others, sure, every qb does this from time to time, but....

On 11/15/2020 at 11:35 PM, papasmurfbell said:

I watched the Buf Zona game.  Murray does Lamar but better than Lamar.  He can run but he throws well and to the right spot.

Great post Lenny....do the Cardinals have any receivers as good as the Ravens?

It's called being able to throw you retarded fuck.  I would stake my life that Murray would get more accomplished here and Lamar would underperform in zona.   I have seen him miss seeing the open man quite a lot.  Murray goes through the progressions.  And really the are weapons here.

Just bc you are one to wish upon a star for good things to happen like some little girl doesn't mean they will.  You have to make it happen.  

Murray is having a good season for sure, but in the long run, as a passer, he's another Tyrod Taylor. His receivers make him. He had 20 TD's and 12 INT's last year. He'll settle down to number between his 2019 stats and 2020. That's still good.

Give me Lamar over Murray.

The Truth About Lamar Jackson

Sometimes statistics don't tell the entire story. Such is the case, NFL Network analytics expert Cynthia Frelund says, with Jackson's 77.7 passer rating to receivers aligned wide, which is a significant decrease from last season's 99.9 figure.

"OK, I'm not saying that the statistic itself is fabricated. It's real," Frelund wrote. "What I'm saying is, anyone taking this sort of stat to single out Jackson for disparagement is doing it wrong. Let's get this out of the way: Lamar's not broken. The reigning MVP is not crashing back to earth."

Frelund came up with four key takeaways from her deep dive into the Jackson-led offense:

The number of plays Baltimore runs – and how they're sequenced – is quite similar, season over season.

"As in, Call X on first down followed by Call Y second and so on, in such a way that is a very repeatable pattern from game to game and also from last season to this one," Frelund wrote. "Sure there are some differences based on defensive looks, but even those follow a somewhat-regular pattern."

Key losses on the offensive line have been a factor.

"You can't lose a guard of the caliber of Marshal Yanda (and then, a LT like Ronnie Stanley) without a negative impact for at least some amount of time," Frelund wrote.

The Ravens chose to heavily invest on defense rather than offense this past offseason via free agency and the draft.

"They are actually realizing a return on the investment they made, with the NFL's top scoring D (18.3 ppg," Frelund wrote.

Jackson is now the focus of more defensive coordinators' goals.

"They're tailoring specific looks just to stop this offense," Frelund wrote. "The middle of the field has been more crowded this season than last. Looking at the part of the field where Jackson's intermediate and shorter passes travel shows that there are more closely covered potential pass catchers (by about 25 percent) than last season. Consequently, Jackson has been forced to take more attempts to receivers aligned wide: This accounts for 34 percent of his passes in 2020, as opposed to 27.7 in 2019. … The Ravens quarterback has been less efficient in this area. Same story with the increased deep shots.

"So, going back to that original point, Jackson's decreased numbers aren't weird. It's the chess game. Defensive coordinators countered his MVP season by forcing him into the more challenging throws outside the numbers and downfield. Now he has to counter the counter. But I'm not betting against the electric 23-year-old – and I'm certainly not betting against his team. … Count out Lamar and Co. at your own peril.".........:thumbup:

This will happen to Murray soon, only he has receivers and a line.

Side note: For the first time ever, the ER Board rejected an application from a poster to join this board.....62efbd5e-1aeb-4f17-a4b2-2eacb505da05-GTY.....too sleezy, too big a loser, even by our standards.

Edited by vmax

1 hour ago, vmax said:

This will happen to Murray soon, only he has receivers and a line.

Side note: For the first time ever, the ER Board rejected an application from a poster to join this board.....62efbd5e-1aeb-4f17-a4b2-2eacb505da05-GTY.....too sleezy, too big a loser, even by our standards.

Good read, lot of fair points. With the exception of a couple games, I just do not think Lamar is playing that bad.

• Like 2