ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens/Raiders

vmax

3 hours ago, vmax said:

I agree. Imagine if Flacco was the QB. Then this game would have been a route as you foresaw. 

Again...it's too logical " no way they beat the Chiefs." I know I'm nuts...but maybe in the Ravens home opener, they do the same thing to the Chiefs as the Raiders did to the Ravens in their home opener? One can dream can't they?!

Why bring Joe into this? I was right about the 3 fumbles, about the running amount for the runningbacks, about Mosely getring his tackles late, because he got caught in the wash,. Missed assignments that lead to big runs at key times for the Raiders.

Wanna talk about that instead of a qb no longer on this team, barely in the league?

Good post, Tsyl. Agree with most of what you said. I think the following sunk the Ravens last night:

1) O-line is a disaster. Did they rush Stanley back? And if they hadn't who else was there to start?? Nobody.

2) Villanueva ought to do the honorable thing and retire. He's made enough money and shown us Nothing.

3) Still, as bad as the offense was at times, the defense lost the game for us. 27 shoulda been enough to beat down the Raiders.

4) Hold off on bringing up the dump truck for Lamar's next contract. Wasn't all his fault by any means but the fumbles were sickening.

5) What happens to Proche in games? Did he even play last night?

6) I don't think the Raiders are all that good. I hope I'm wrong on that and they play lights out the rest of the year but how many times did they shoot themselves in the foot in an effort to give us the game? And wasn't that nice of  us to return the favors?

7) Somebody puh-leeze can the ESPN broadcasting team.

That's all I can say right now. When I re-live the game, it makes me sick all over again.

The Ravens don't have the personnel for Cover Zero anymore. You have to have shut down corners. 435 yards...There has to be a quick change in the scheme. That will mean QB's will have all day to throw....it's a pick your poison situation. Whatever, Wink has good personnel, now he needs to set them in place to stop this kind of bleeding game after game. 

Villanueva might be the worst RT in Ravens history. Kip Vickers was better. They have to get Boyle back and use 2 men to block 1...:nono:

When the protection breaks down, then bad things happen with every QB in the NFL. That does not excuse Lamar from being sloppy with the ball. He should know better by now not to carry it in one hand, low by his waist like a loaf of bread with defenders all around him. Just stupid.  Especially in crunch time, when teams are desperately trying to make a play and get the ball back. No argument that this is a pattern for Lamar in key losses during big games.

On the road, costly turnovers usual doom the road team. Write that on the blackboard 100 times Lamar.

Don't put Lamar in situations where he has to run for his life 55% of the time.  Write that on the blackboard 100 times Greg.

"We have to protect Lamar." Write that on the blackboard 100 times O line.

See the source image

Edited by vmax

Im watching the over time fumble play now. 3rd and seven, trips to the left, single to the short side. Lamar gets the snap, if he throws it on time he has Proche on a short curl, 2 yards away from the line to gain. Andrews is doing a seam route, Brown a crossing route. These two make a simple, legal screen in front of the 3 defenders to that side.

Easy pitch & catch, fight for a first down; simple, catch the snap, hitch & throw.

I don't know why he chose to pull the ball down, attempt to run; he had plenty of time to make that throw. Would it have been a first down? Who knows, but it would not have been a fumble on your own 30 yard line.

This I say to his decision making, I know, first game of the season, but they said, he said, he has improved greatly. This is the same mistake, just like the fumble, he makes every game; trying to make more out of something.

I know, it is part of what makes him an exciting player. But we blame, and rightfully so, the wide outs for not getting open. We blame the line, we blame the play calling/design, all, rightfully so, but he shares blame as well.

1 hour ago, oldno82 said:

Good post, Tsyl. Agree with most of what you said. I think the following sunk the Ravens last night:

1) O-line is a disaster. Did they rush Stanley back? And if they hadn't who else was there to start?? Nobody.

2) Villanueva ought to do the honorable thing and retire. He's made enough money and shown us Nothing.

3) Still, as bad as the offense was at times, the defense lost the game for us. 27 shoulda been enough to beat down the Raiders.

4) Hold off on bringing up the dump truck for Lamar's next contract. Wasn't all his fault by any means but the fumbles were sickening.

5) What happens to Proche in games? Did he even play last night?

6) I don't think the Raiders are all that good. I hope I'm wrong on that and they play lights out the rest of the year but how many times did they shoot themselves in the foot in an effort to give us the game? And wasn't that nice of  us to return the favors?

7) Somebody puh-leeze can the ESPN broadcasting team.

That's all I can say right now. When I re-live the game, it makes me sick all over again.

I was surprised Proche didnt get any love out there last night.  I didnt even notice him on the field.  When drafting one league I was thinking Duv or Proche.  I chose Duv bc of the ST.  He did a good job for me last night.

Updates:

Jamison Hensley on Twitter
“Ravens placed OL Tyre Phillips on IR. He was carted off the field last night with a knee injury.

Baltimore also released RB Trenton Cannon. That means Ty’Son Williams and Latavius Murray are only RBs on active roster.”

“OL Tyre Phillips becomes the 8th Ravens player (and 6th starter) to get placed on injured reserve over the last three weeks.

The Ravens have a total of 14 players on IR, and it's only Week 2 of the regular season.”

“Ravens worked out four CBs today:

Buster Skrine
Darryl Worley
images.jpg.7bdd8be5d8ae4fb6d314733e41e098ee.jpg
Winston Rose
Grant Haley

Skrine (92 starts) and Worley (54) have the most experience. Rose (Bengals) and Haley (Saints) were released before start of the season.”

Edited by vmax

On the plus side: 

Sammy Watkins 4 receptions for 96 yards for 24 ypc. Very good to see him fit in right out of the gate. 

Tyson Wilson nine carries for 65 yards for a 7.2 why PC. 35 yard TD run a thing of beauty. Three receptions for 29 yards for a 9.7ypc.  Why was he not used in the second half. He also missed a block that led to Lamar getting sacked. 

Marquise Brown six receptions for 69 yards for an 11.5 ypc and one TD. He caught all six of his targets. Great way to start season

Lamar Jackson 19/30 235 yards for 7.85ypp and one TD. Sacked three times for 18 yards with the 98.6 RTG. 12 carries for 86 yards for 7.2ypc. Two lost fumbles mar a very good performance behind a sieve of an offense line.

Odefe Oweh Two solo tackles one sack one tackle for loss one QB hit in limited action. His first step is to fast for any tackle and his speed and athleticism showed. He's a weapon in development and is showing signs that he was a great draft pick.

Shout out for Queen, Humphrey, Averett, Clark and Brandon Williams. Tucker made some clutch kicks and Koch have had a nice game punting.

Edited by vmax

7 minutes ago, vmax said:

On the plus side: 

Sammy Watkins 4 receptions for 96 yards for 24 ypc. Very good to see him fit in right out of the gate. 

Tyson Wilson nine carries for 65 yards for a 7.2 why PC. 35 yard TD run a thing of beauty. Three receptions for 29 yards for a 9.7ypc.  Why was he not used in the second half. He also missed a block that led to Lamar getting sacked. 

Marquise Brown six receptions for 69 yards for an 11.5 ypc and one TD. He caught all six of his targets. Great way to start season

Lamar Jackson 19/30 235 yards for 7.85ypp and one TD. Sacked three times for 18 yards with the 98.6 RTG. 12 carries for 86 yards for 7.2ypc. Two lost fumbles mar a very good performance behind a sieve of an offense line.

Odefe Oweh Two solo tackles one sack one tackle for loss one QB hit in limited action. His first step is to fast for any tackle and his speed and athleticism showed. He's a weapon in development and is showing signs that he was a great draft pick.

Shout out for Queen, Humphrey, Averett, Clark and Brandon Williams. Tucker made some clutch kicks and Koch have had a nice game punting.

I would add in Dux also.  He had a nice night eturning the ball.  Get him in the passing game.

One final observation that disturbs and disappoints me. Going into halftime I thought that the team that makes the best adjustments will win the game. John, Wink and Greg got outcoached.
As soon as Ravens were up 14-0 I thought that they needed to add another 7 to 10 points before halftime if they were to win this game. Up to that point Carr was off target. Once he started getting his accuracy down and was feeling no pressure this game started slipping away.

This is no longer a playoff caliber roster. This line will put Lamar on IR this season because he only has a "GO" button...do whatever it takes to win. 16 game gauntlet ahead. We'll be seeing Huntley.

On a silver lining note, we did score 27 points with our make shift O.

The thing that bothers me the most is we had Waller in check the first half, mainly by checking him at the line of scrimmage. 2nd half we let him run free. He was targeted 19 times.

The final 35 seconds still is giving me nightmares.

If we can average 27 points we will win ball games.

Here's some sweet predictions....

I expect the Ravens to return to their more run-heavy roots and utilize more of the quick passing game on offense while they get their pass protection kinks figured out. My boldest predictions are that rookie Odafe Oweh builds off his impressive debut and pairs with Justin Houston to terrorize his former team. They will keep the game within range and possibly give Lamar Jackson and the offense a few more possessions with a turnover or two via strip-sack.

Frank Platko

In three career games against the Chiefs, Mark Andrews has just six catches for 37 yards. He matches this reception total on Sunday night alone and adds a touchdown reception, bouncing back after a quiet performance in Week 1. The Ravens utilize bracket coverage against Travis Kelce and Andrews winds up with more receiving yards in this game than the best tight end in football.

Dustin Cox

Behind an offensive line that was abysmal in Week 1, Lamar Jackson resorts to using his legs this week, rushing for close to 200 yards. Defensively, the Ravens pressure actually gets to Mahomes for four sacks. Baltimore keeps it close but is unable to hang with Kansas City for four quarters.

Spencer Schultz

Vegas has the Ravens as only 3.5 point underdogs for a reason, as Baltimore keeps the game close into the fourth quarter. Patrick Queen shows his improvement from the last time the Chiefs came to town, notching a sack, forced fumble, tackle for loss, and pass deflection. Sammy Watkins takes his old team to the woodshed, totaling over 100 yards easily as Lamar Jackson plays his best game against the team that’s given him the most trouble over the last two years, accounting for over 350 yards and three scores. James Proche makes his mark as a pro, grabbing at least four passes and moving the chains twice.....Ravens vs. Chiefs: Bold predictions (msn.com)

48 minutes ago, cravnravn said:

The thing that bothers me the most is we had Waller in check the first half, mainly by checking him at the line of scrimmage. 2nd half we let him run free. He was targeted 19 times.

Yes they will!

Edwards killed the Ravens at the end. They spent too many resources worrying about Waller. Carr threw to the open man. Can't be everywhere....

54 minutes ago, cravnravn said:

Chucky made some adjustments to get Wallerr open,  

Those pundits are off their nots.