ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens vs Browns Week 14

vmax

Observation #1. There is definitely chemistry between Bateman and Huntley. In a little more than a half, Bateman hauled in 7 passes for 103 yards. and almost got his first TD. He was a big part of the comeback along with Andrews. 

Observation #2; I'm sure we're split on the decision to go for the 2. I wanted to kick the extra point. I can see a decent argument for the opposite. I'd rather know it's a 1 score game. But is it? It's really 2 scores with a TD needed and a 2 point conversion needed.

Observation #3: Huntley is better than 1/3rd of the starting QB's in this league. He came into the game cold and down by what??? 17 -18 points? Threw 7 for 38. 270 yards. 99.7 1 TD. QB rating. Ran for 45 yards with a 7.5 ypc. Led 4 scoring drives.  The 2 fumbles were killers.

Observation #4: With Humphrey gone we now see that the Ravens cannot get any better this year. Not possible.  It's survival mode from here on out.

Observation #5; Although it took 20 years we can now say we lived to see the Ravens recover an onside kick. And Tucker had another amazing game. Image result for funnyjustintuckerimages

Observation #6: Once they got 4 PI's out of their system....How about that shut out 2nd half by the No Quit Ravens D!

Edited by vmax

18 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Yes, it sure does. Now, why is that? If anything, Huntley playing has showed us what Bateman can do, & how far Lamar has fallen. What we don't know is why? Brain fog for one reason or another? Eye sight? Fear of making a mistake?

Looking for that big play too often? Those plays that were made today, let's be honest, only 1 was a great throw but also an incredible catch by Bateman. All of the rest were easy throws with great effort by Bateman & Andrews (32 yard catch & run)

Once again we saw the play calling/design haunt this team. Frankly, I think Roman has worn out his welcome.

Most of your post I agree with 100%. It looked like Huntley has chemistry with Bateman OR he came in cold and looked for anybody who was open. It seems Lamar ignores those guys looking for the big play. 

On Roman....I'm getting more open minded on the question of has he outlived his usefulness here? The final play of the game was a real head scratcher. I have to look at the coaches film to see if Huntley had other options or why did the receiver run short of the sticks??? Huntley was under pressure immediately. Nobody will give Roman credit for calling the plays in the 17 point comeback with a raw QB2 no Ricard or Boyle and Villenalldayva and Powers.

I had no issue with the last play, it was a dump off for when under pressure like that in the moment. The Browns were wise to it, expected it with the all out blitz.

I say a fitting end only that once again the play design was not, the line was not prepared for the all out blitz. Maybe move the pocket, keep an extra blocker in, something to combat what everyone knew what was coming. Everyone that is, not affiliated with the team.

My biggest issue was at the end of the first half, less than 2 mins left, ball at your own 10 yard line or so. A cold quarterback, an inexperienced one too boot, and instead of running the clock down, they try to pass? Which leads to a sack fumble, touchdown the other way.

For me, that says more about the coaching than the players. Yes, I was even against the subsequent plays following that lead to a Tucker 55 yarder to end the half. Hey, they got points so I was wwwwrong.

Nonetheless, a lot of the route schemes, the play calls especially those that change out personnel have driven me nuts this season. Freeman is clesrly the better runner in this offense, why take him out? By doing so you not only take your best asset for running out, but you tip your hand to the defense that a pass is very likely...

This is all on Roman, as is Lamar and what ever is going on with him.

Clearly the players yelling at him last week had merit, thus Huntley having success, on par with what Lamar used to do, only better.

I've no doubt that the Lamar of last year would have won three of those five loses, 3 games decided by a total of 8 pts.

Even with all of the injuries this team could realistically be 11-2 if Lamar was playing as he did last year.

I find it difficult to believe that he performs in practice any different than what he has done in games this year. So it's a coaching issue. I am not one who likes to change coaches, but maybe it is time for Roman to go so that Lamar can grow?

I would rather see a hail Mary fall incomplete then to see what happened on the our last play. They were getting into Roman pretty good on the radio this am. He's wearing out his welcome.

Pretty nice how Huntley locked on to Bateman, that's why we drafted him in the first round.

Seems to me that everyone wanted Lamar to be a passer, that hes holding onto the ball just a bit to long. Huntley reminds me alot of 2018 Lamar. His one mistake was on the strip fumble Td the other way. Hope he gets the week with the 1st team preparing for Green Bay.

1 hour ago, cravnravn said:

I would rather see a hail Mary fall incomplete then to see what happened on the our last play. They were getting into Roman pretty good on the radio this am. He's wearing out his welcome.

Pretty nice how Huntley locked on to Bateman, that's why we drafted him in the first round.

Seems to me that everyone wanted Lamar to be a passer, that hes holding onto the ball just a bit to long. Huntley reminds me alot of 2018 Lamar. His one mistake was on the strip fumble Td the other way. Hope he gets the week with the 1st team preparing for Green Bay.

The Browns rushed 6, Ravens only had five blockers, he had a man in his face almost at the snap, there was only one place to throw & he did. Had he tried to throw it deep, to Andrews on seam route, his arm gets hit, no chance.

Again, they had to expect a blitz and keep an extra man in, nothing to lose by doing that, he can always slip out if need be.

7 hours ago, tsylvester said:

The Browns rushed 6, Ravens only had five blockers, he had a man in his face almost at the snap, there was only one place to throw & he did. Had he tried to throw it deep, to Andrews on seam route, his arm gets hit, no chance.

Again, they had to expect a blitz and keep an extra man in, nothing to lose by doing that, he can always slip out if need be.

Yup...Huntley had no choice but to dump it off with the way he was being rushed. No time to even crank up and throw a deep ball. You would think, like Tsyl says, they would keep a guy in to block who could always drift to the side if the rush didn't materialize but a I guess Roman doesn't practice that. What's worse is he doesn't correct Lamar's bad habits.

I'm starting to worry that Lamar's not going to be able to change to more of a pocket passer. Teams have caught on to his ability to run for big yardage. He's gonna have to do some serious maturing pretty quickly both for the team and for his upcoming contract.

And the front office better invest heavily in an O-line and pass rushers this off season.