ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Casey Raback signs with the Ravens

cravnravn

Hopefully he comes really cheap. Can't go wrong then getting another veteran guy who can backup Center and Guard. I really think the best option now is to bring back Gaither on a heavily incentive-laden contract to compete at RT. Our line would have great potential and be deep at that point.

Something is wrong with Birk.

You don't bring in an ageing vet who's lost enough from his game that the Redskins cut him. Raubach can't handle the nose tackles he'll face on the Ravens schedule. He couldn't handle them in DC.

The Ravens have 3 UFA centers in camp and the first look at them must not have been good...maybe one of them is a year or two away from being able to compete at this level and the Ravens need insurance.

Casey does bring the vet experience but he will hinder the smashmouth game the Ravens are after.

Not excited about this signing but it looks like the Ravens were forced to do it.

You dont bring back trash that you've already thrown out 6 years ago!!!!

If the Ravens thought highly of Casey in 04 they would have put the tag on him, just like they did with Ngata this year, just like they did with C-Mac & Suggs.

I dont get this move, Im starting to question what the hell they are doing out there at 1 Winning Dr.

Another red flag...

The Redskins signed Rabach to a three-year contract extension with a $4.3 million signing bonus 17 months ago, but cut him last week to clear space under the salary cap.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/08/02/11/Ravens-add-line-depth-sign-Rabach/landing.html?blockID=545457&feedID=6703

Tagging a center? The way I remember we let him walk because of dollars. It wasn't because he we didn't want him. Flynn was our center, who really wanted that? We just had too much money lined up in others. Flynn was bad, so very bad, and Rabach was light years better. I'm sure he isn't now, but I'm betting he's serviceable.

Tagging a center? The way I remember we let him walk because of dollars. It wasn't because he we didn't want him. Flynn was our center, who really wanted that? We just had too much money lined up in others. Flynn was bad, so very bad, and Rabach was light years better. I'm sure he isn't now, but I'm betting he's serviceable.

And Sock wouldn't let us forget it. :)

They tag punters in this league, so yeah why not a center, and if I remember correctly, the Skids had Casey signed at 12:01am of free agency.

My point is, If the brass thought highly of Rabach they would have had him either with a new contract or a Tag.

Mike Flynn was our Right Guard, he was asked to move to center when we had the great purge of 2002, if Rabach couldnt replace Flynn, then what did we sign him for now? desperation is all I can think of, especially when we have 4 centers in camp already.

The Skins cut him because they saved over 4 Million doing so, just why we cut Heap, Mason, Gregg. It's no different. The guy is coming in as insurance at Center and Guard and was a starter just last year, it's not like he's out of the league awful all of the sudden.

To Yager. Yes, I would say games played would be a great way to do it. If Gaither comes back good enough to start a lot of games at RT he deserves to be paid for it, if he comes in lazy, he gets paid the minimum. Something like that. Given that it seems no one is interested in him right now he might be open to that.

Yeah, just read that. Actually a good thing in my opinion as I'd love for us to go grab Olin Kreutz. Was a Pro Bowl talent very recently and says he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender. He clearly could step in and start for us at Center or at least compete with Birk. Given Grubbs injury and our lack of a RT he could play either guard spot for us as well. http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/6828674/ex-chicago-bear-olin-kreutz-play-11-right-offer-agent-says?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Also this from John Clayton makes me think we have a shot at it.

“@ClaytonESPN: When Casey Rabach failed his physical because of a recovering shoulder, the Ravens now have to look for a vet center.”

“@ClaytonESPN: One interesting name for the Ravens to study is Olin Kreutz, who would be interested in a team such as the Ravens. Kreutz would consider”

It all starts on the line, grabbing Kreutz would really make me fine with Anthony Allen and Parmele as our backup RB's going into next year.

I got to find out more about him....he's 34...one year younger than Birk....but if he's healthy then he's a solid vet with experience...but it looks like he wants a ton of money.

The Ravens knew Birk might have some problems late in the season, but his injury has already set the team back in training camp, which is less than one week old.

Undrafted rookie Ryan Bartholomew (Syracuse) has been working with the first-team offense at center.

Other available free-agent centers include: Olin Kreutz (Chicago), Shaun O'Hara (N.Y. Giants), Eric Heitmann (San Francisco) and Jonathan Goodwin (New Orleans).

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/source_rabach_failed_physical.html

Edited by vmax

You dont bring back trash that you've already thrown out 6 years ago!!!!

If the Ravens thought highly of Casey in 04 they would have put the tag on him, just like they did with Ngata this year, just like they did with C-Mac & Suggs.

I dont get this move, Im starting to question what the hell they are doing out there at 1 Winning Dr.

Come on. The only reason they didn't keep him is they already gave Flynn a monster deal and they were locked in. I wonder what he has left but they didn't throw him out 6 yrs ago.

Birk sounds like he is breaking down now. Casey maybe midseason for a sweetheart deal would be a good get.