ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What do you want to see changed during the bye

cravnravn

I'd like to see Joe miraculously develop the ability to look around the field and find open targets when his primary is covered.

In a way I am feeling like the 2000 season, in that having a once in a generation dominating defense is the only way I see us going that far.

I'd like to see Joe miraculously develop the ability to look around the field and find open targets when his primary is covered.

In a way I am feeling like the 2000 season, in that having a once in a generation dominating defense is the only way I see us going that far.

Hard for Joe to do that when he is running for his life. This o-line does not excel at pass blocking, not by any stretch. The Jets have a solid front 7 and they were all over Joe. Hell McKinnie was even beaten by Maybin, the biggest bust ever.

The line has been inconsistent at best. I will not fault Joe for not finding targets when he is running for his life but there have been many times this season where he has had time and could not find anyone even though people are clearly open on the replays.

I was at the game and Joe had open targets...some were better options than who he chose. He just was not throwing the ball well.

I don't know what I want to see changed because I think the Ravens will get better as the season progresses.

I mean...This offense just needs more games and experience playing together to develop. They will get better as the season wears on.

The line is reworked and the guys are getting familiar with their roles and the man next to them. Yanda showed he's back after missing training camp. The 8 straight runs to his side were a statement. He was mauling anybody in front of him. Oher was too...he's getting used to the right side again and that's not his natural position. Grubbs was out...he's a great LG...this toe thing could be bad. So that leaves Gerode and McKinnie, who are new, with the job of anchoring the left side...they definately have a learning curve. They'll get better.

Then there's Joe and the passing game.

Only reps will develop this to a higher level. He and his receivers need time together to get their timing and intuitive reads downs. They are new together. Smith, Williams, Doss, Evans...Joe was working out with Mason and Heap this off season. He needs time to develop chemistry with these guys while Cam needs to identify how to effectively use each of them. Same goes for Pita and Dixon.

It will happen.

The trick is to weather the storm.

On defense Carr and Smith need to return healthy and ready to go. Smith has to develop his craft at the NFL level. This will take time.

The hope is that eventually this team is more consistent in their performance and execution in November and begin to peak in December. Then the hope is that they hit the playoffs on a roll.

"I know where there is a Quarterbacks Anonymous metting tomorrow."

Jets_Ravens_Football_92019_team.jpg

Edited by vmax

The line has been inconsistent at best. I will not fault Joe for not finding targets when he is running for his life but there have been many times this season where he has had time and could not find anyone even though people are clearly open on the replays.

Which replays? I have every game DVR'd, they hardly ever show what's going on down field. To me this is the best part about going to the game you can watch more than just the ball. Boldin is good but he is only one WR, Evans hasn't been healthy even when he is playing and behind him are a bunch of rookies. Our receivers are looking shaky at best. Ray Rice is leading the team in receiving for crying out loud.

I don't think Joe is an elite QB, but he can get the job done with a little time and a solid gameplan. It seems like those two things occurring simultaneously is difficult for this team.

You also have to consider with the Jets they do the same thing the Ravens do - make the QB uncomfortable as possible in the pocket. You could tell Joe was never really comfortable.

Honestly, doesn't Joe and the offense always get better as the season progresses? He's money later in the year. Let's also not forget that there were at least 3-4 passes that were outright dropped. Honestly, just outright drops. We also didn't have a receiver make a play on the ball either. It would have been nice to see Smith catch the ball thrown behind him with a nice adjustment. The passing game is a two way street. The WR needs accurate throws as much as a QB needs a WR to make a play.

And Joe.....throw to Boldin more! lol

Honestly though, I remember Big Jen having games like this during his Super Bowl runs.

Max,

It must have been electric at M & T last night. I recorded on DVR and am watching tonight. It was interesting (though not surprising) that Joe (and Cam) were chucking it all over in the 2nd Q and almost let the Jets back in.

Sometime very soon, we are going to have to CONSISTENTLY pound the rock, especially as approach December. Ray is our man, no doubt, but I dont know that he is our "hammer" in the December, nor do I think Ricky Willaims is the pounder. Either way, Cam and Co need to polish our running game and properly game plan our running and passing attack.

The Houston game would be a perfect opporunity to pound it- they are yielding almost 5 yds/carry. I think the O needs to re-establish the run and balance the two appropriately for the game and situation. Joe is much more comfortable when he has a strong running attack and he can work in some play action.

Disconcerting to hear Max say there were other targets open for Joe that he didn't throw to. It looked to me that Joe got harassed by the Jets pass rush and that knocked him off his game. I've seen even the great Tom Brady stink when he didn't have time to throw. Joe is not an elite quarterback and will probably never be, but he's good enough to win with this team.

I wish they would rediscover the occasional quick passing from the preseason.

Remember that WR slant to Evans?

Vs the Jets, after the first quarter, it felt like there were only 5, 7 or more step drops and a quick pass was unthinkable.

Quick slants and hitches are so badly needed. I can't imagine why Cam doesn't include them especially with the receivers we have and their potential YAC.

Another thing I'd like to see is a more balanced offense. No pound the rock and no pass happy every damned play. You can almost always move the ball if you mix up what you're doing. Isn't that basic offensive football 101?

You dont think we'll be running those slants with Evans & T. Smizzle??

I think we will, we'll be bitching that, thats all they run by the mid point.

Well I'm not saying they should go from one extreme to the other---just mix it up more.

I just want to see them do away with that stupid naked boot leg play, with or without a body guard. Since the Ravens came to be it has never worked here, works for other teams, just not the Ravens for some reason. No matter who the coach or quarterback was/is, take a knee next it is called, works the same..........