ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ryan wins Offensive Rookie award

ravinmaniac52

I think you're stuck in 2000-2007.

The AFC and NFC are equal now.

Not sure if I agree with that. The Giants are certainly an elite team in this league, but I do not believe any other of the NFC playoff teams could beat the Titans, Steelers, Colts, or us (yes, I think both AFC wildcard teams will win this weekend).

Matt Ryan played against weaker competition in the NFC and had a stud running back on his team, along with a big playmaking wr which explains why his numbers were better.

Lets see Ryan play the steelers D twice, titans D, etc.

Falcons are overrated. i don't have a problem with Ryan winning the award cuz he played well, but he isn't better than flacco in my mind.

Matt Ryan played against weaker competition in the NFC and had a stud running back on his team, along with a big playmaking wr which explains why his numbers were better.

Lets see Ryan play the steelers D twice, titans D, etc.

Falcons are overrated. i don't have a problem with Ryan winning the award cuz he played well, but he isn't better than flacco in my mind.

Can I get an AMEN?

He is better. Maybe not a lot better, but he is.

Roddy White was garbage before Ryan, and Turner was LT's career backup. They acquired themselves a bunch of good players, but Ryan used them excellently. He's a great QB.

I am not sure about that. White had a great year last season with 83 receptions for 1,202 yards and 6 TDs (very similar numbers to this season). And that was with the mess at QB the Falcons had last season. There was an article on ESPN earlier in the year that attributed White's turn around to a change in diet before the 2007 season in which he went from 220 pounds to 208 pounds.

It is also unfair to say that Ryan made Turner good because he was LT's backup. Turner has been the NFL's least used talent for years, it would not have mattered who was at QB, Turner was looking to explode on the scene for any team willing to make him a feature back.

If anything, I believe you could make an argument that Ryan is benefitting from the talent around him. Michael Jenkins is a solid #2 receiver, and Ryan has only been sacked 17 times this season.

I would say Ryan is probably a little more polished than Flacco at this point as far as decision making goes, but Flacco is catching up very quickly. I think both guys are going to be Pro-Bowlers in the near future. However, like RavensNest said, lets see Ryan play defenses of the likes of the Steelers (#1), Titans (#7), Giants (#5), Eagles (#3), Cowboys (#8), and the Redskins (#4). Heck, Flacco has played 6 of the top 10 defenses this season.

Ryan was supposedly the more polished, best qb of the class coming out of BC. Whereas, the Ravens supposedly reached for a DIIa qb out of delaware at pick 18 who wasn't supposed to even play much this yr.

To me, the bigger achievement is with Flacco overcomign everything, while still playing against top notch defenses. His road rating speaks volumes on his development. It's hard to tell who is the better qb right now, which is why the nod should have gone to flacco. He overcame more, with no expectations and got this team on the winning track.

It will be funny when a rookie qb wins the super bowl and it will be the rookie he didn't win the award. Dumbest thing ever. Reminds me of when AJ hawk was a sr at OSU and he won big ten defensive player of yr, but ended up not winning best linebacker, which went to a Penn State player (poslusny).

Dan Hampton here on Chicago's sports radio has been calling Ryan Clady "The Best LT in the Game" based on just this year's play. Obviously he loves the kid way too much, but him getting a few votes isn't ridiculous. I honestly would've given it to Forte. That kid CARRIED Chicago the whole year, leading WR and RB, with a shit offensive line and a sub-par Quarterback. It was a tough choice this year.....

Dan Hampton here on Chicago's sports radio has been calling Ryan Clady "The Best LT in the Game" based on just this year's play. Obviously he loves the kid way too much, but him getting a few votes isn't ridiculous. I honestly would've given it to Forte. That kid CARRIED Chicago the whole year, leading WR and RB, with a shit offensive line and a sub-par Quarterback. It was a tough choice this year.....

They are solid, but both should automatically be eliminated for not making the playoffs. Qb is the hardest position to transition into, flacco deserved some votes plain and simple.

if there is a half way decent QB, he should rule out the other positions, IMO.

That said, they gave this to Ryan more for all the shit that the team faced these past 2 years with Michael Vick and Petrino. Which is why you should brace yourself, because Mike Smith is going win coach of the year...not Sparano, not Harbaugh.

I am sure we have discussed this before but I will raise it again....awards should be given AFTER the post season.

In your dream..Thats why the Ravens went thru the Big Bad NFC Least like a hot knife thru butter. And if not for a fluke play they would have beaten the Giants.

Can I get the name and number of your supplier?

Both Ryan and Flacco had good rookie seasons, Ryan's stats were slightly better and he was a higher profile pick. So I have no problem with it. Likewise I would have been fine if Flacco won it. In the end it doesnt mean a whole lot to me.

Ryan was a lot better than Flacco statistically, and Clady was by far the best lineman out of the draft. I think it's fair.

Give Flacco the 24th ranked SoS and Ryan the 4th hardest SoS and we'll see who's got better numbers. All things being equal, though, Ryan was going to win by virtue of hype factor.

I have a feeling that Flacco just doesn't give a shit. He's just going to win.

Give Flacco the 24th ranked SoS and Ryan the 4th hardest SoS and we'll see who's got better numbers. All things being equal, though, Ryan was going to win by virtue of hype factor.

I have a feeling that Flacco just doesn't give a shit. He's just going to win.

Do you really think any of them care?