ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game Balls

oldno82

Another key play was Suggs' INT of Roethlisberger deep in our territory ending a scoring drive for them.

And before anybody complains about Flacco's fumble (and he does need to work on ball security---Zorn had helped him with that last year), Brady had at least 2 picks yesterday and Roethlisberger had that INT. Flacco didn't throw any and had several dropped balls to boot.

Where did 'thesteelhurtin' go??? You can bet he would have been here today roasting us if his team had won.

Flacco for snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

Torrey Smith for the game winning catch, even more impressive after the drop(s)

Cam Cameron for calling a great game

Suggs for talking smack and backing it up on the field

Honorable Mention

Cary Williams - great tight coverage most of the game, even when he was beat on the TD by Wallace he appeared close to knocking the ball away. This guy plays like a Raven

Boldin - impressive play while being shadowed by Ike Taylor, who had been playing fantastic coming into the game.

Pitta - seemed like he was open every third down

Grubbs - welcome back!

Shout out

Oline - way to hold it together when it matter most.

David Reed - 2 or 3 good run backs

I won't give one to Cam. Saw many of the same issues I always see - including stupid time outs at awkward times and odd route calling for most of the game. And until the last drive, his game plan was slowly losing steam - not gaining it.

Leaves me to wonder - did he (a) have less to do with the offense in the hurry-up at the end? (b) just start calling different plays then - leading the questions of why not earlier? © just get lucky?

I won't give one to Cam. Saw many of the same issues I always see - including stupid time outs at awkward times and odd route calling for most of the game. And until the last drive, his game plan was slowly losing steam - not gaining it.

Leaves me to wonder - did he (a) have less to do with the offense in the hurry-up at the end? (b) just start calling different plays then - leading the questions of why not earlier? © just get lucky?

Cam did well but it is hard to determine if he was calling the plays during the 2 minute drill or if it was Joe.

BTW Flacco looks SO comfortable in that shotgun.

or (d) did his players finally execute? I think he called a very good game. He had a nice mix of run and pass, and what where they 12 of 14 on 3rd downs? I'm not sure what odd route calling you are referring to. I think the Ravens moved the ball quite well against a very good defense.

Not sure how Cam is getting a game ball, we didn't go to the hurry-up until the last drive when it's clear that we should be in that at least a few possessions throughout the earlier parts of the game. It's clear to everyone that Joe operates better out of the shotgun and in a fast pace, I don't see why we don't run that offense more often. I love Leach and Ricky and understand our depth is part of our success, but we need to run the hurry up more, period.

Also I loved Suggs' interception, but he was shut down the entire game on the pass rush, he doesn't deserve a game ball for making one play, no matter how big.

Game ball goes to Joe Cool in my opinion for obvious reasons. Absolutely clutch performance. My only qualm is that he needs to get rid of the ball earlier. He always holds it too long and that's what led to his fumble.

Great performance by the defensive backfield as a whole. The coverage was fantastic. Even though Ben had a good game, that was a result of the lack of a pass-rush as any pressure we got was clearly the result of fantastic coverage on the back end. Cary Williams is really stepping up for us, Webb is fantastic, and I can't wait until Jimmy Smith gets his legs under him as he flashed some skills. Carr really doesn't belong out there though.

I don't think this was the game to be using the hurry up. The game is always tight and the more rest the O was able to give the D the better. You go 3 and out in a hurry up in this game and you are asking for trouble.

I thought Cam had a very good game plan. Try and run the ball on 1st and 2nd down out of the I and then put Joe in the Shotgun and let him do his thing. We were able to hold the pass rush at bay long enough on 3rd down for Joe to step up in the pocket and deliver a strike on most 3rd downs. That kept the clock ticking and the D fresh. I would liked to have seen more of Ricky running the ball but that was a minor issue that I am probably alone in picking out.

Also I loved Suggs' interception, but he was shut down the entire game on the pass rush, he doesn't deserve a game ball for making one play, no matter how big.

I disagree. Just because Suggs didn't get any sacks, doesn't mean he was shut down. He applied pressure at several points and Ben was also more focused than ever on getting rid of the ball before Suggs go there...you could tell it was something the Steelers discussed. Suggs could probably be up with the league leaders in sacks if he wanted to. He could line up every play, abandon any responsibility other than getting to the quarterback. His game is about so much more than that, and his interception is the perfect example. He diagnosed the play, backed off and cut off the pass to Wallace. I focused on the Suggs-Starks matchup for a big portion of the game, curious to see how the Steelers would handle him. They gave him a lot of attention, sometimes double teams. He had to know this was coming, given all the attention he drew to himself before the game. He played a great overall game, as he always does against pittsburgh

I disagree. Just because Suggs didn't get any sacks, doesn't mean he was shut down. He applied pressure at several points and Ben was also more focused than ever on getting rid of the ball before Suggs go there...you could tell it was something the Steelers discussed. Suggs could probably be up with the league leaders in sacks if he wanted to. He could line up every play, abandon any responsibility other than getting to the quarterback. His game is about so much more than that, and his interception is the perfect example. He diagnosed the play, backed off and cut off the pass to Wallace. I focused on the Suggs-Starks matchup for a big portion of the game, curious to see how the Steelers would handle him. They gave him a lot of attention, sometimes double teams. He had to know this was coming, given all the attention he drew to himself before the game. He played a great overall game, as he always does against pittsburgh

Not sure how it's possible that you saw him apply pressure, because I damn sure watched the entire game and Starks & Co. owned Suggs' ass, part of the reason he thought about dropping back on the pivotal play, since he wasn't getting to the quarterback anyway. Ben didn't get rid of the ball early at all, he escaped and had a ton of time to throw all night. I really don't understand how you saw a completely different game than I.

Not sure how Cam is getting a game ball, we didn't go to the hurry-up until the last drive when it's clear that we should be in that at least a few possessions throughout the earlier parts of the game. It's clear to everyone that Joe operates better out of the shotgun and in a fast pace, I don't see why we don't run that offense more often. I love Leach and Ricky and understand our depth is part of our success, but we need to run the hurry up more, period.

Game ball goes to Joe Cool in my opinion for obvious reasons. Absolutely clutch performance. My only qualm is that he needs to get rid of the ball earlier. He always holds it too long and that's what led to his fumble.

Great performance by the defensive backfield as a whole. The coverage was fantastic. Even though Ben had a good game, that was a result of the lack of a pass-rush as any pressure we got was clearly the result of fantastic coverage on the back end. Cary Williams is really stepping up for us, Webb is fantastic, and I can't wait until Jimmy Smith gets his legs under him as he flashed some skills. Carr really doesn't belong out there though.

agree with everything except Suggs...that INT was huge and a game changer.

I thought Cam called one of his better games this time (I still want him gone), but those two Billick-esque run-run-pass-punt 3-and-outs near the end of the game really got under my skin.

I think its been mentioned here, but how big was the 51 yard FG by Cundiff at the half..Only 4 kickers have kicked FG's of 50 or more, 2 of them on the Stealers..And with Billy's success this season 0 for the season on attempts of 50 or more, and then banging that 51 yarder, in Heinz Field on a shitty field..It was the margin of victory!!!

Yes I like kickers :)