ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

QB Coach Jim Caldwell

ForceEight

i dont get this hiring, the man is emotionless.

Yea this is just the guy they need to get Joe fired up before games! :zzz: I didn't even know Caldwell was an offensive guy. Anyone who evaluated the Colts roster and thought Curtis Painter deserved a spot should not have a job coaching QBs.

The hiring does seem odd especially since we should have been looking for someone that could foster a relationship with Joe. However, Harbaugh has done a very good job of bringing in guys that get things done. And, Caldwell has worked with Peyton Manning, so that does carry some weight. I know he didn't have success this past year, but losing a great QB on a team that does not have alot of talent will do that. This will be interesting.

Definitely a head scratcher. The guy goes from Super Bowl coach to Cam's assistant. And he's nowhere in the Harbaugh coaching tree/family. Very perplexing hire, exp since he interviewed with and left Pittsburgh before signing here.

Maybe he can teach Lee Evans, Dickson how to hold on to the rock; show our WRS how to get S E P A R A T I O N..

I dunno :nono:

I love the possibilities of this hire. Surely Caldwell brings some of the Peyton Manning osmosis knowledge with him... this is the next best thing to bringing in Manning as QB coach, which I joked about last week. You can't argue with the results that Colts team had with mediocre receivers like Garçon and Collie. 80% of that credit goes to manning of course, but surely this guy learned some things and possibly contributed to that as well. Solid, low risk hire that could pay off.

Remember - Tony Dungy had him as an assistant head coach too.

I do feel sorry for Caldwell. I think he was dealt a bad hand in Indy. When you have that many $ sunk into your starting QB you just can't afford to have a competent backup. Those $ are needed elsewhere to round out your team.

I was surprised that he was fired after they fired the personnel men. It looked like the players were still playing for Jim but they just didn't have any talent at QB so once they blamed the personnel men I thought he would be given another shot.

I would rather have kept Pags and the Colts kept Jim. The swap definitely feels like it came out lop sided in favor of the Colts :cryin:

I love the possibilities of this hire. Surely Caldwell brings some of the Peyton Manning osmosis knowledge with him... this is the next best thing to bringing in Manning as QB coach, which I joked about last week. You can't argue with the results that Colts team had with mediocre receivers like Garçon and Collie. 80% of that credit goes to manning of course, but surely this guy learned some things and possibly contributed to that as well. Solid, low risk hire that could pay off.

Remember - Tony Dungy had him as an assistant head coach too.

Bingo. I didn't even consider that he's also had experience with the likes of Dungy, who in his own right was a very good HC. I would have preferred someone younger that could better relate to Flacco, but I'm currently having faith that Harbaugh knows what he's doing. He's done well so far.

I think this was a weak selection. Why do you hire a guy as QB coach when the replacements for Peyton sucked so bad for so long? I mean, what credentials does this guy really bring with him?

I hope I'm wrong but I really don't get this hire at this time.

So let me get this straight, the two people the Ravens now have in charge of the offense (if we consider Caldwell to be second to Cameron) were 1 - 15 and 2 - 14 respectively in their respective final season when in overall charge before coming to Baltimore. That's a combined record of 3 - 29!

Does this inspire anyone to believe they can make good decisions?

I really hope this works out, but I am skeptical.

One other thing, as far as I can tell there is no history between Harbaugh and Caldwell which seems very odd for Harbaugh since he really likes to hire assistans with whom he has worked before (or been coached by). However, I do remember Caldwell interviewing for the HC job John eventually got. Is this a sign that the front office is starting to influence coaching hires rather than leaving it up to the HC which as far as I know has been the norm previously?

In Cam Cameron's defense, he did have the foresight to pass over Brady Quinn in the draft... in favor of the player who ended up keeping the 49ers out of the Super Bowl this year (Ted Ginn Jr.)

What, you're saying that's a stretch?

Well that's because Cam Cameron is awful... what do you want from me?

I love the move. As a QB coach we are not asking Caldwell to run the offense. We are asking him to keep up on Joe's mechanics (something Zorn did very well and Joe's mechanics would become sloppy at times this year without the attention to detail he received in 2010). And add in whatever insights he feels Joe might not be seeing on the field. Caldwell was bound to pick something up from Peyton since working with him in 2002 that would be useful to any NFL QB (by the way, even though Peyton is very much self-made, he was not a seasoned vet in 2002, so I'm sure there was a lot of mutual learning and growth for these guys).

When you think about it, how do great coaches become great? Most of the time it is by who they surrounded themselves by. Whether it's players or other great coaches. A lot of the great coaches today didn't play the game themselves in the NFL, so they've become great by their ability to learn. Caldwell played DB in college, but somehow became an offensive coach for five different college teams and two (now three) different pro teams. So Caldwell must be knowledgeable enough where a team would want to hire him for his knowledge after interviewing him. Especially in our situation where the QB coach is essentially an expendable position for us where we would only hire one if we felt he had useful knowledge to bring. You have to think that Ozzie and DeCosta remembered his head coaching interview back with us in 2008 and Caldwell left a favorable enough impression to reach out to him to join the staff.

The guy went 24-8 in his first two seasons as head coach. He has eight years of college head coaching experience. He made the Super Bowl his first season as head coach too. I don't care how good the team is you coach, making the Super Bowl as an NFL coach is impressive regardless. At the very least we got ourselves a very qualified QB coach. I like the move.[/indent]

A guy at my work is a huge Colts fan. He is a big fan of Caldwell and wanted to keep him. He stated Caldwell has Dungy traits. He is quiet, reserved, and respectful, but he has a quiet fire and is extremely intense. Sure this move might not pay huge dividends, but at the very least it will not hurt us. Oh yeah, and the fact that he chose us over the Steelers... I'll take any win over the Steelers I can get! :)

Guest BallTMore

Neat...is my initial reaction.

I hope he does well, but I'm finding it hard to get excited over a guy that "coached" Peyton Manning. How tough could that be, honestly?

Once again, nobody else got Ray Lewis to the playoffs four years in a row. So it must not be that easy.

Also before Harbaugh and Flacco got here, Ray had only one conference championship game.

How can so mamy people have so little faith with someone who's had success. Sounds like a bunch of two year olds stopping tjeir feet and rolling on ground. I want Super Bowls or nothing!!!! Lol

I hope you're not comparing the relative meaningfulness of QB and MLB to their sides of the ball.

In the case of a guy like Lewis, Singletary, and maybe even Patrick Willis? Absolutely. Why do you think we've been a top defense almost every year since 1999?

In the case of a guy like Lewis, Singletary, and maybe even Patrick Willis? Absolutely. Why do you think we've been a top defense almost every year since 1999?

Okay, but why were we still a top defense when Ray was out/came back and struggled, yet the Colts without Manning looked like a junior varsity team?

They aren't comparable. Ray doesn't hold the ball and he doesn't make those decisions. He guesses where a tailback is headed or plays coverage on a tight end or inside receiver. He's extremely passionate. But his presence on defense is not in any way the same as a Manning-type at QB.

Okay, but why were we still a top defense when Ray was out/came back and struggled, yet the Colts without Manning looked like a junior varsity team?

They aren't comparable. Ray doesn't hold the ball and he doesn't make those decisions. He guesses where a tailback is headed or plays coverage on a tight end or inside receiver. He's extremely passionate. But his presence on defense is not in any way the same as a Manning-type at QB.

Exactly. One just cant argue that any positiin is more important than QB.