ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

dirty ed reed suspended

thesteelhurtin

Well I heard Harbs has already appealed the decision, Drop the appeal, sit out vs San Diego (a game I had penciled in as a loss) and be back for Pittsburgh.

Dont know what Goodell is trying to prove by using an incident from 2010 as a 3rd strike against Reed..

I don't get this at all. Reed is 1 stinger away from ending his career as it is so I don't think he is intentionally trying to hurt anyone with helmet to helmet. 1 of the things to consider with the hit was the WR was on his way down as it was. If Reed gets there a fraction earlier he hits the guy in the chest.

The one where Pollard hurt Cotchery, if he gets there a fraction later he probably hits Cotchery in the head as Cotchery goes to the ground. It's all about timing the hit which is hard to do at full speed.

It is the lawsuits. He is going to show them a bunch of fines and suspensions and say we have done everything to protect players.

I agree. It's all about preventing the league losing cash in lawsuits. The players are going to have to prove that the NFL knew about the dangers and did nothing to stop them getting hurt and the NFL is going to point out that as soon as their advisers confirmed there was a danger they implemented new rules and measures to prevent the danger.

I don't think it's anything to do with Goodell being on a power trip at all.

It's been reduced....

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)

Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed has avoided a one-game suspension for late hits after an appeal. He instead will be fined $50,000.

Reed was suspended for one game without pay on Monday by NFL vice president of football operations Merton Hanks for his third violation in three seasons of the rule prohibiting helmet-to-helmet hits against defenseless players. The third violation occurred in Sunday night's game at Pittsburgh; Reed's hit to the head of receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

Reed appealed the ruling, and hearing officer Ted Cottrell on Tuesday reduced the penalty.

In a letter to Reed, Cottrell wrote: ''I have determined that your actions were egregious and warrant significant discipline. However, I do not believe that your actions were so egregious as to subject you to a one-game suspension without pay.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/baltimore-ravens-ed-reed-wins-appeal-one-game-suspension-reduced-to-fine-112012

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/balnews-ed-reed-on-suspension-being-20121120,0,169127.story

"At the same time, we grew up watching the game be played a certain way and playing it a certain way. It is tackle football. It is a contact sport and a brutal one, a violent one at that, the No. 1 violent sport, sad to say. I know concussions has been a big thing. I've had concussions before and I know guys are going to have concussions. If you want to stop it, stop the game. Like people say, it's starting to be a flag football thing. I have a flag football tournament. We can make this a big thing is we want to everybody can come get in my league."

Ed sums it up really well.

It's a poor argument by Reed. Rugby is a violent agressive contact sport. They're required to hit low in that sport and they do it routinely. I understand Ed was taught one way to play. However.......Ed, you're one of the most elite players to EVER play the game. I'm sure you're capable of adapting a new technique to your game.

A good argument is how you account for initially setting up a hit below the helmet and the receiver ducking. How in less than 1 second are you supposed to redirect your motion?

Even that argument is weak because in Rugby like 90% of the hits are at the waist or below. It's an adjustment. These are superb athletes, they can make the adjustment.

In any case it's also weak to give Ed a fine for a questionable call, 1 call this year, and 1 call 2 years ago. Weak.

I don't like the rugby comparison much. In rugby the game is played in front of you and the hits are normally coming from in front of you and you can normally only get hit by 1 or 2 people at a time. In football you get hit from all angles and can have a lot of players tackling you at once.

That said, what rugby does differently is the requirement that you attempt to wrap up using your arms. Sure, you hit them with your shoulder but you must be in a wrap up technique while doing so or you get penalised and it's very rare that you see a penalty for this in a rugby game.

In football this rule might help to prevent some of the incidents where guys bascially use their bodies as spears with the helmet being the tip of the weapon. It's much harder to use your helmet if you must be using your arms and shoulders to make the tackle. Players still bang heads in rugby but it's much less frequent than football.

I don't like the rugby comparison much. In rugby the game is played in front of you and the hits are normally coming from in front of you and you can normally only get hit by 1 or 2 people at a time. In football you get hit from all angles and can have a lot of players tackling you at once. That said, what rugby does differently is the requirement that you attempt to wrap up using your arms. Sure, you hit them with your shoulder but you must be in a wrap up technique while doing so or you get penalised and it's very rare that you see a penalty for this in a rugby game. In football this rule might help to prevent some of the incidents where guys bascially use their bodies as spears with the helmet being the tip of the weapon. It's much harder to use your helmet if you must be using your arms and shoulders to make the tackle. Players still bang heads in rugby but it's much less frequent than football.

That's more or less where I was going with that. I knew there was a rule that forced the players to make tackles rather than just smash together. I didn't know the rules well enough however. That's a very good take. Even still, the NFL fines players for hits where the offensive player is ducking to avoid the hit. It's so hard for a defensive player to avoid that. However I bet if the player was forced to wrap up that wouldn't be so out of control towards the offensive player.

It's no secret the game has to change, we can't have these guys ending up like they're ending up. However I think fining players for an inexact and poorly written rule I don't agree with. If your rule was instituted, I would understand if fines came down. Fines are preventing concussions. Goodell is an ass.

At some point the D players need to file a class action suit againstthe NFL for this stuff. O players can chop block but if a D player touches a QB's knee he eats a fine. How many head shots did Hines give? They financially penalize D players alone.

When hines did it it was still legal. Hines never broke any rules with his style of play. Even after they changed the rule he was never flagged for it.