ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Baltimore Ravens agree to terms with Elvis Dumervil

faaaaaaq

Free agent pass-rusher Elvis Dumervil has agreed to terms on an multi-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens, reports Mike Klis of The Denver Post.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Dumervil will receive a five-year contract worth up to $35 million from the Ravens. Dumervil will receive $8.5 million in the first year of the contract.

Dumervil was scheduled to earn $12 million from the Denver Broncos
this season before agreeing to take a $4 million pay cut to remain with
the team...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-ravens-agree-terms-elvis-dumervil-205838180--nfl.html

Cheaper than Kruger. Better than Kruger.

The front 7 is solid now. Real solid.

They need a MLB to make it dominant.

And....they just bought the secondary what it needs...QB pressure.

@billbarnwell: Dumervil deal for Ravens the opportunity benefit of dumping Boldin, not overpaying for Ellerbe. Saved for a rainy day and it came early.”

“@AdamSchefter: Elvis Dumervil got $1 mil base salary this season, plus $7.5 million signing bonus. He makes $8.5 mil this year, with cap number at $2.5 m.”

Cap number at 2.5 is how we are affording him this year. Gonna have to restructure Suggs/Ngata long term though. I love Dumervil but this move is just interesting. We really had the starter opposite Suggs already in Upshaw, and typically that was a run-stuffer on the other side... We've never had two pass-rushing studs on the ends of the 3-4 like this.

@billbarnwell: Dumervil deal for Ravens the opportunity benefit of dumping Boldin, not overpaying for Ellerbe. Saved for a rainy day and it came early.”

“@AdamSchefter: Elvis Dumervil got $1 mil base salary this season, plus $7.5 million signing bonus. He makes $8.5 mil this year, with cap number at $2.5 m.”

Cap number at 2.5 is how we are affording him this year. Gonna have to restructure Suggs/Ngata long term though. I love Dumervil but this move is just interesting. We really had the starter opposite Suggs already in Upshaw, and typically that was a run-stuffer on the other side... We've never had two pass-rushing studs on the ends of the 3-4 like this.

Upshaw will probably play more on early/running downs with Elvis playing on passing downs. All the talk about the demise of the Ravens 'D' is just a little premature. Now we need a good veteran ILB and Safety, add some young guys through the draft and our defense is going to be fine.

Upshaw will probably play more on early/running downs with Elvis playing on passing downs. All the talk about the demise of the Ravens 'D' is just a little premature. Now we need a good veteran ILB and Safety, add some young guys through the draft and our defense is going to be fine.

That's what I'm thinking, but are we really paying a guy that kind of money to be a pass-rushing down player? You wouldn't think so IMO. I'm not sold on this move personally, would've rather brought in Harrison for $2 Million or somebody at that price range. Just a ton of money committed to pash-rushers now.

That's what I'm thinking, but are we really paying a guy that kind of money to be a pass-rushing down player? You wouldn't think so IMO. I'm not sold on this move personally, would've rather brought in Harrison for $2 Million or somebody at that price range. Just a ton of money committed to pash-rushers now.

Back 7 is only as good as the pressure from the front 4, Signing KaDoom just made their jobs that much more easier.

• Downvote 1

The deal...

The deal: five years, $26 million, with a max value with incentives of $35 million.

Signing bonus: $7.5 million.

2013 salary: $1 million.

2013 total money: $8.5 million.

There you have it. Dumervil will make $500,000 more in Baltimore this year than he would have in Denver.

One more side note here: In 2009, Dumervil, under new linebacker coach Wink Martindale in Denver, played outside linebacker and had his best season as a pro, winning the NFL sack title with 17.

Dumervil's sure to play outside 'backer in Baltimore. One of the linebacker coaches with the Ravens is Wink Martindale.

Coffee tastes a little better this morning, doesn't it, Raven Nation?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130325/elvis-dumervil-baltimore-ravens-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2OYYeIX21

Yes it does Pete! :gorave:

A scene we won't see. But Peyton, Tom and Jen will....

350x-129.jpg?w=250

The deal...

Yes it does Pete! :gorave:

A scene we won't see. But Peyton, Tom and Jen will....

350x-129.jpg?w=250

Oh wow, great find. Whole different deal with a base of 25 as opposed to 35! Totally fine with incentives pushing the pay that high but was concerned we gave him so much in base. Absolute steal at $5 Million per, great work Oz... Who would rather have Kruger at $8 Million a year? :gorave:

Suggs has been reletively silent this spring after he pounded on Brady, but he has been leading behind the scenes...

is Dumervilicon-article-link.gif has been chasing Terrell Suggsicon-article-link.gif for years.

Now he’ll join Suggs in pursuit of opposing quarterbacks.

“I tried to chase his sack record in college, but I couldn’t beat it,” Dumervil said, referencing Suggs’ NCAA record with 20.5 sacks.

Suggs has also kept a watchful eye on Dumervil, and as soon as the former Bronco became a free agent following a bizarre fax fiasco, Suggs started the recruiting process. Suggs texted Dumervil to express interest in joining forces, and he’s been in contact with Dumervil over the last week trying to lure the prized free agent to Baltimore.

Dumervil officially signed Tuesday afternoon, giving the Ravens their biggest free agent acquisition of the offseason and providing Dumervil the chance to play alongside another one of the game’s elite defenders after being paired with outside linebacker Von Miller in Denver.

“I’ve known Terrell Suggs for a long time and he’s a great player,” Dumervil said. “He plays the run, he rushes the passer, great personality. I’m excited to come in and merge, and also with [outside linebacker Courtney] Upshaw, just try to get after quarterbacks.”

The Ravens have long been looking for another dominant edge rusher to pair with Suggs. Jarret Johnson was more of an edge-setting run defender, and Paul Kruger came into his own as a situational pass rusher late in his time with the Ravens.

By bringing Dumervil to Baltimore, the Ravens finally have their man.

“He is a phenomenal pass rusher and I have not had a chance to play alongside another dominant pass rusher,” Suggs told The Baltimore Sun soon after the Dumervil deal was announced.

The two pass rushers have been among the league’s most dominant in the last decade, notching a combined 148 sacks and 46 forced fumbles in their careers.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Terrell-Suggs-Helped-Recruit-Elvis-Dumervil-To-Join-Forces/7974dab5-d161-4a6e-831e-8ed00009272e

One more note....

The Ravens have now signed Dumervil, Chris Canty and Marcus Spears for a cheaper price than what the Browns paid Paul Kruger.

Efficient. Savvy. Forward thinking. What else would you expect from the champs?

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/picture-says-it-all-ravens-sign-elvis-dumervil/

• Upvote 1

LOL!

One tidbit I thought readers would like to know is which current NFL quarterback Dumervil loves to hit most.

“I'd go with Tom Brady,” Dumervil wrote. “I’ve also got Ben [Roethlisberger] a few times in my career.”

I’d say Dumervil is going to fit into the Ravens locker room just fine, especially knowing that Terrell Suggsicon-article-link.gif doesn’t like Brady much either.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-327-Michael-Huff-Not-Waiting-On-Dallas-Next-Stop-Ravens/954c34aa-00d9-4eaf-9a5e-9789c26352af

I think he'll be best buddies with Suggs. :gorave: